Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Doomist

Rise of the Triad music kicks ass, anyone?

I was trying out LameDuke, the free released version of Duke Nukem 3D, to find out later the game uses ROTT's "Fastway" song, and is completely awesome! Also, by playing Hell Revealed I pretty much realized the songs are just ROTT tracks...

Anyone else agree the OST is kickass?

Also, every track has the same "theme" or kind of instrument. Its kinda weird. This could just be the MIDIs though.

Both ROTT and Duke Nukem music are rather cool. Actually ROTT music also used in other wads, like 2nd released Alien Vendetta Map25("You Suck"). This music is a good choice of this map.

Yes, ROTT music is very beautiful.

I especially like "Mist Ache" and "Rise."

Here's a remake of "Mist Ache" that I find exceptionally good:

However, while I absolutely love many tracks, such as "You Suck," I found most of the music the be annoying on an unacceptable level, but the tracks I like I love to such an extent that it makes up for it.

The overall feel of the ROTT sound track gives me a strange feeling, I can't really describe it. It's a strange combination of sadness, memories of old friends who I will never see again, mixed in with... I don't even know. It provokes very mixed emotions, but I like the sensation, despite the sad thoughts it brings. Strange considering how upbeat most of the tracks are. I wonder how others respond to ROTT's music.

The "Adagio in G Minor" remix is probably my favorite track from the game, actually. Similarly, the remix of "Åse's Death" from Descent is one of my favorites from that game... I have a soft spot for classical music, I guess one could say.

I wonder what other baroque/classical/romantic pieces have been used in video games.

"Mist Ache"... mistake... ho ho ho I just got it!

And yes, the ROTT soundtrack is indeed fantastic stuff.

EDIT: Oy, Goin' Down the Fast Way doesn't really work as thrash metal, does it? Maybe I'm just too used to its classic sound.

EDIT2: @188DarkRevived: Yeah, I thought the music has worked well in a bunch of wads, like Ultimate Simplicity. Mist Ache there worked super well at the end of the second episode.

"Mist Ache" is definitely my #1 favourite from this game, followed closely by "Work Day".
Both are fitting for DOOM WADs. In fact, I've already used "Mist Ache" in one of my WADs.

I don't know how to make such "intensely hued" (used a thesaurus since colorful is the wrong word, sounding too happy) blaring chords like that. I don't think I can even find those pitches in the normal minor or major scales I normally limit myself to. Maybe he uses the chromatic spectrum, or does weird scale changes or something, but it all sounds very musically "correct" and awesome. I guess we can forgive him for working for the IRS.
I could open the tracks in some midi editor, but whenever I've done that before I can never understand the music theory behind it and give up in frustration. There's usually some notes somewhere that don't fit in the scale as I understand it.

You could switch Ultimate Doom's music with ROTT's, and it would be totally kickass.