Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Platinum Shell

Who should survive?

dew said:

no. women and children first, then whoever was in the lifeboat sooner.

I agree, fuck the dudes; you need people to screw on that island.

The Doomist said:

Hank won't be pleased when he realized his son Bobby escaped onto a ship with a bunch of people that he doesn't know.

Bobby should DEFINITELY survive because his extent of propane knowledge can make himself craft a propane tank with propane in it to boost life boat to safety, while the others grab onto the sides of the lifeboat.

Hank will telepathically know of these actions, feel proud, then take a sip of beer and say "yep", while his 3 comrades follow on with the same statement, and they're also in envy.

^^^THIS IS WHY YOU KEEP BOBBY!^^^

And yes, I'm talking about Hank Hill from King of the Hill. Yep.

That's just asinine, I'll tell you what.

Just read through the whole book; loved it. The negative comments on the book kinda reassured me of how negative some of our members here are :P

Question, though...and you'll probably say "it's not important!" and etc., but I wonder if the dead parachutist/ejected pilot was an Axis or Ally? One detail I do remember though is that he (the dead parachutist) had a full on helmet on, masking his face; perhaps only one side used this? Just spitballing here.

What a coincidence! Our course is starting an analysis of this novel just now too.

I'd keep the following

All 3 Danes, cause of the botany skills and fitness of the Dr, psychology skills of the Mrs and guessing Bobby would be part of a package deal, blue he's a kid so he might be fit enough to help with the labour skills.

Newton and Gonzales for the medical expertise, Gonzales more to help teach the others to survive when he dies.

Frans for his Farming experience.

Blake for his construction experience.

Newton and Frans need to agree before hand to just get on or at least to OTT so they can sell the rights to their story for a sitcom. Otherwise Clark and Evans get their places.

The three months old baby takes one slot. The obese lady takes one slot.

Do the lifeboat operate on videogame logic?

Baby's a freebie. She's tiny and stays in her mom's arms. So that leaves only three people to leave behind.

While Mrs Dane's skills would be extremely useful to a tiny community on a small uninhabited island (cabin fever anyone?) but unfortunately she is obese and taking her in means leaving two people behind instead of just one.

Now that the practical issues of standing on a lifeboat are settled, we still need to get rid of two people.

Mrs. Clark has no useful skills for a shipwrecked community, except to repair a radio and call for help. However I assume if any radio was salvageable, the exercise wouldn't say the survivors would have to live on the island for years. So without a radio, she's not useful. She also is sympathetic to the idea of decreasing human population.

Mr. Blake would have useful skills, but he might cause problems with Mr. Newton, Ms. Evan, Mrs. Garcia, or Dr. Gonzales.

That has to be the most ridiculous cabal of characters ever assembled. Interesting to see how these characters obey the racial and social stereotypes, the white male professor who jogs, the obese lady who works at a mental health clinic, the Spanish-American prostitute with a ninth grade education, hahaha? I would hate to be assigned something like this.

Just made me think how much I hate essays for school, as they just invite the teacher to give me a bad grade because of certain reasons they can make up, not related to spelling and grammar.

Who cares who is most likely to survive? I chose based on who would be most useful until they died. Took the Danes because one knows botany and the other could possibly help if group tensions arise on the island. Took Father Frans because of his experience with agriculture. Took Dr. Gonzales because of his medical knowledge, took Mr. Newton for the same reason, took Mr. Blake because of his construction knowledge, and took Mrs. Clark because of her education (no traits specifically useful to surviving, but being better-educated might be a plus in the long run).

Yeah, two of them have a higher risk of dying, and there may be tensions among the group, but I'm not going to leave a potentially valuable member of the group behind because someone else might be healthier. No use having a bunch of young, healthy people with you if none of them have any useful skills related to survival. Sure, the doctor might have a heart attack, but he could pass on at least some of his knowledge before that happened. Having someone skilled at first aid is much more useful than having a high school dropout, especially if you have another person studying medicine who could learn from the experienced doctor.

geekmarine said:

Yeah, two of them have a higher risk of dying, and there may be tensions among the group, but I'm not going to leave a potentially valuable member of the group behind because someone else might be healthier. No use having a bunch of young, healthy people with you if none of them have any useful skills related to survival. Sure, the doctor might have a heart attack, but he could pass on at least some of his knowledge before that happened. Having someone skilled at first aid is much more useful than having a high school dropout, especially if you have another person studying medicine who could learn from the experienced doctor.

Yeah, that was my theory too. Maybe I watched walking dead too much with Hershal teaching Carol some medical stuff with him being a likely candidate to kick it too.