Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TwinBeast

Midi creation?

What are some good midi sequencer programs? At the moment I have Reason, but it's not exactly midi.. it can export to midi, but all instruments are set to sound like the piano. So, at least I'd need some program to change the instruments.

I have tried Fruityloops for that changing, but seems a bit too expensive for just changing a bunch of midi instruments.

--

Then where can I get some soundfont that sounds like the OPL emulation in Chocolate, etc? I found some OPL3 soundfont, but that wasn't the same. I'd like the editor and game sound the same.

You can try Anvil Studio (which is free), or Guitar Pro 5 (or whatever version it's at now, I only have GP5).

As for soundfonts, I can't say I know of any. I don't know why so many people get a hard-on over that OPL sound either; it can make a well-constructed MIDI with various instruments sound like a load of shit.

I got recommended Sekaiju by Esselfortium when I was asking about a good program to use: it's fairly simple to use once you set it on English and not Japanese. :P

Jimi said:

I found some OPL3 soundfont, but that wasn't the same.

It's never going to be the same; especially for music like Doom's which used their own programmed instruments (with the GENMIDI lump) instead of leaving the registers to their default settings.

If you want to hear to an OPL rendition of a MIDI, use OPL emulation (or a genuine OPL chip).

If you're comfortable enough with Reason's sequencer, you could do what I do. Get a soundfont with the SoundCanvas instruments, compose in Reason with those loaded in NN-XTs, export to midi, and then use Sekaiju to set the instrument channels, mixing, and instruments when you're done.

Thanks for the program tips. Looks like they'll work ok.

Mmm.. I guess I'll just have to play the songs ingame every now and then to get a better idea how they sound like in OPL emulation.

If you don't mind spending a bit of cash, AND own an Apple computer, Logic Pro is designed for midi. It's not the most user-friendly to get a midi project set up, but once it is, smooth sailing. If for some reason you or anyone decides to use Logic, I can explain how to set it up.