Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

best editor for checking linedef/switch actions?

Instead of idclip, I want to know what editor would be best to find what a switch does/where a key is/what linedefs do what when triggered. I haven't done much editing before, so something like doombuilder doesn't really seem to tell me much.

In doombuilder 2, click search, and search for key things. Or click an action line and find what its tag is then search for a sector w/ the same tag. Or press IDDT multiple times in game on the map to see keys.

Doombuilder2 is a good program to use, a lot of mappers are using it with great success.

For what you are looking for I would suggest GZDoombuilder r1662.
http://svn.drdteam.org/doombuilder2-gzdb/
Search functions have many more options. Checking for tags has many more options.
And, among numerous additions, it also has a toggle for event lines, which will reveal the
interrelation of linedef actions or thing actions to the affected sectors, for example:

Just because its name is proceeded by GZ doesn't mean that it is solely for GZDoom maps.

How would I compare Doombuilder2 to GZDoombuilder?
Doombuilder2 : GZDoombuilder = C : C++

Kappes Buur said:

Doombuilder2 is a good program to use, a lot of mappers are using it with great success.

For what you are looking for I would suggest GZDoombuilder r1662.
http://svn.drdteam.org/doombuilder2-gzdb/
Search functions have many more options. Checking for tags has many more options.
And, among numerous additions, it also has a toggle for event lines, which will reveal the
interrelation of linedef actions or thing actions to the affected sectors, for example:

Just because its name is proceeded by GZ doesn't mean that it is solely for GZDoom maps.

How would I compare Doombuilder2 to GZDoombuilder?
Doombuilder2 : GZDoombuilder = C : C++

I can only choose between gzdoom/hexen and gzdoom/udmf when trying to open a wad. Nothing at all I'm able to do apart from that. Can't open a wad using either of those formats, either.

invictius said:

I can only choose between gzdoom/hexen and gzdoom/udmf when trying to open a wad. Nothing at all I'm able to do apart from that......

By default only those two are listed in the Configurations folder.

No big deal.
Open Windows Explorer. Go to the GZDoombuilder installation folder and open Configs for other games
and copy what you need

and paste them along the defaults, or just move them.

invictius said:

.... Can't open a wad using either of those formats, either.

Do you have these installed on your computer?

SlimDX Runtime (.NET 2.0) - January 2012
Microsoft .NET 3.5 or 4.0

If not, then have a look in the Setup folder.