Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
scifista42

Please explain me something about dehacked

I know this can be found in documentations but 1) it's easier to put a question to forums than read through dozens of pages, 2) the parts of documentations I already read quite confused me and 3) what I'm asking for is something very basic. I grew up on ZDoom and I have only the slightest knowledge about what dehacked is.

The only thing I want is to simply change intermission texts and level names on automap in my PWAD for Ultimate Doom. But I can't get it to work and recently I doubted if it's even possible or if I just overlooked something really obvious. (the 2nd is very likely)

I use Whacked2 and can't complain on it. I used the 'UD 1.9 format' (or how it is called). The .deh file looks fine, as I've compared its content with DEHs from other wads. But no matter if I start Doom.exe, Doom2.exe or Chocorenderlimits, if I use parameter "-file test.wad -file test.deh" or if I copy the text to a DEHACKED lump inside my wad and then launch it. I always see "Hangar" or "Entryway" on the automap in vanilla (ports work). I can't get this to work even with the other wads I've downloaded, for example Arcadia.wad.

Please, tell me what I'm doing wrong or what's wrong with my way of thinking. Thanks in advance!

chocolate-doom -deh file.deh -file file.wad

Memfis said:

Vanilla doom can't load dehacked patches, you need to patch doom.exe

Someone needs to make an exe that auto hacks vanilla Doom when "-deh xxx.deh" is used.

Example:
"Deh.exe -file av.wad -deh av.deh -exe dehdoom2.exe"

Would auto patch dehdoom2.exe with av.deh and if another .deh is loaded, av.deh will be removed and replaced with the next .deh.

.deh's would be combined if "-deh av1.deh av2.deh" was used just as wads are combined if "-file 1.wad file2.wad" is used.

I think you have to have "merge" instead of "file" if there's sprite replacement, if that helps.

That is why it is called dehacked. It HACKs Doom. It originally was a program that loaded a doom executable, then hacked it by overwriting parts of the executable with replacements. That requires the dehacked program.
Modern ports get the same effect by reading the dehacked control script and modifying themselves more elegantly.

I know myk made an auto-dehack batch file, I could probably make one too if I actually played more than two dehacked wads.

Memfis said:

Vanilla doom can't load dehacked patches, you need to patch doom.exe
http://www.aspectsweb.co.uk/dehacked/deh03.html

Thanks for pointing that out. How do I patch doom.exe using Whacked2? I can't make it to do anything else than creating the .deh file.

Maybe you already answered it but I don't get it. Sorry, as I said I'm totally new to this and don't understand the basics.

scifista42 said:

How do I patch doom.exe using Whacked2?

You don't. You use dehacked.exe. Both the documentation included with it, and page Memfis linked to, provide instructions. It's a DOS program, so depending on your OS, you may need to use Dosbox.

If your next question is "What's a command line?", I suggest you give up at this point.

Reading that brief Doom Wiki on WhackEd might be misleading.
The links are going stale too.
It needs updating by someone with some knowledge of WhackEd (and that would not be me).

From that description, I believe it is a text editor for the Dehacked control scripts. Maybe it edits them in lump form ??

Hi, I'd just like to say my thanks to all of you who responded, since today I finally tried to get Dehacked to work and had a lot of trouble, but I eventually made it! Now I'm able to create exe files which allow you to play my vanilla mod with altered texts. I would never succeed without your advices from this thread. Again, thanks a lot!