Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CyberLord1512

The crap and the best maps of Evilution

I recently replayed TNT and I thought that the levels were really crap because they were outdated and some were edited really bad.

Map 4 (Wormhole), Map 22 (Habitat) and Map 30 (Last Call) were the worst. Map 4 and 22 could have been finished without it all being played and Map 30's Boss was made really badly; it could have been killed with any long range weapon (like the BFG) so it ruined the whole Doom thing with shooting the brain with rockets.

When I first started to play doom (around 2002 when I was 2-3 years old) Evilution was the best because there were really good levels that I loved like Map 11 (Storage Facilty), 13 (Nukage processing), 18 (Mill), 28 (Heck) and they were fun to play.

Please share your opinions on the best and the worst levels of Evilution.

My favourites:

Wormhole (subverted reality and underground part)

Open Season (very close feeling of experimental labs with many tech to it)

Prison (unique music and design),

Steel Works (industrial theme on rampage metal corridors yay),

Deepest Reaches (happens in underground but looks very hellish),

Central Processing (oh the variety and exploration, inside and large outdoor),

Administration Center (that surreal outdoor area and running through main area, getting into crusher area and so on)

Habitat (hit and run, hit and run, pump with your shotgun in water flooded areas then we are back again on the twisted surface, pretty surreal too)

Quarry (short but tense with cool middle area)

Baron's Den (low light hallways triggered and many barons to fight, nice and non-linear)

Ballistyx (every indoor part of it, feels like in spirit world or the damned)

Mount Pain (although labirynth chase with radsuit near to time up is not my favourite but everything that happens after and large outdoor area featutring Mt. Pain is nice)

River Styx (it's good but not as good as Ballistyx, features few interesting areas and fights)

Last Call (first map that didn't repeat boss/IOS map only scheme with actual level and gameplay before the main boss. Everything here is so superrior to all these retarded, IOS-centric maps).

Worst:

Most of Casalis maps: Heck sucks compared to River Styx, Mill sucks compared to Shipping/Respawning, Pharaoh and Carribean are not what they want to be.

Storage Facility (seriously crate-maze maybe looks good in detail but actual gameplay is obstructed and slow because of this)

System Control (more interesting than Entryway from Doom 2 but still too weak to be start map)

Nukage Facillity (what a dissapointment after Crater, it tries to improve with outdoor area, ambush ending and many sections inside building but overall feels forced in atmosphere and progress).

faves:
map01, map04 and map23 just because of the tracks played
wormhole because of the time travel segment.
habitat because of the frantic gameplay
prison, I like the layout.

worst:
redemption... because its just plain overkill.

I'm sure this has been done to death already but oh well.
Favourites
Map09, 10, 13, 15, 18, 28, 29, 31, 32

Least favourite, Map08, 19, 22, 27

CyberLord1512 said:

Map 4 and 22 could have been finished without it all being played

I may hate Map 4 and 22 but *gasp* a map with optional areas!? BY GOD, HOW DARE THEY ADD SHIT YOU DON'T NEED TO DO!

i find it funny how all of OP's least favorite maps end up on the 2P's list of favorite maps.

on another note, i liked the IoS map on the one note that it took a while to learn how to beat it. i also like the fact that was a level plus boss at end as mentioned before. those two things combined make it a very good map.

I would add that I don't hate map30, but it has some really dumb ideas, and I'm not talking about the platforming part.........

Not really played much of Evilution on the PC, I know the PSX version far better.

Favourites
MAP01 - Berserk. 'nuff said
MAP16 - I just love the eerie setting of this map. I even wrote a story based on it once.
MAP23 - Probably more due to the PSX Music used on this map and the Ultimate Doom SKY3 instead of TNT Sky3, but this was by far my favourite map in TNT. Whether this still applies on the PC, I'm not too sure.

Least Favourites
MAP28 -> Both PC and PSX, this map is just a no go zone for me. What the hell is up with that start area?

MAP26 -> I have no reason to like this map. When doing my playthrough of PSX Final Doom on UV, I was dreading this one. I'm not sure why I hate it so much, but I'd be more than happy to avoid it.

CyberLord1512 said:

I recently replayed TNT and I thought that the levels were really crap because they were outdated and some were edited really bad.

How is a map being outdated makes crap?

Map 10 is my favorite, and I'm not going to take the time and energy to find my least favorite map, ehh! There were some bad maps in TNT!

imo they should have just made every map habitat

map01: habitat
map02: habitat
map03: habitat

etc etc

CyberLord1512 said:

Map 4 and 22 could have been finished without it all being played

... And?

How does the fact large parts of the map can be skipped make it a bad map? Would you prefer a linear slogfest where you are forced to go everywhere? Would that make the map better?

Favourites will be -
MAP01
MAP06
MAP12
MAP15 (cool design imo)
MAP26
MAP29

Sucks -
MAP20
MAP25
MAP28

Personally, I love TNT. I'm playing through it again for maybe my third or fourth time. I have a couple of favorites, but I don't really hate any of the maps. I'm on map12 now, so I'll see if I find any stinkers this time around.

Anyway, Map15 Dead Zone has always been a favorite of mine. At the time I got my hands on Final Doom, I was knee deep in Doom 2 and had played that loads of times (and Doom 2 remains my favorite mapset). I remember that I used to IDCLEV to map numbers that were my favorites in Doom 2, such as MAP15 and Dead Zone is the only one of the maps that stuck with me as a great map for "exploring", in the vein of MAP13, MAP15 and MAP16 of Doom 2. That and MAP29 of Plutonia are my favorites from Final Doom, because they´re so "Doom 2-like" in their non-linearity.

Hardly surprising, E3M6 is my favorite from Doom 1 as well.

So yeah, MAP15 Dead Zone is a definite favorite of TNT from my side. I still fire it up occasionally and just play through it. Love the music, love the sky texture and love the map. It's maps like that, and Industrial Zone, Suburbs and MT Erebus that got me hooked on Doom when I was a kid.

The hell maps of TNT are a little more vague to me. Remember, I know all the Doom2 maps by heart, because I've played through it like 20 times. But TNT I've only completed 3-4 (including present playthrough) so while I'll remember individual maps once I get to them, I won't know their name or map number. I remember Mount Pain, however. That's like MAP27 or something like that. I liked that map. As a kid, playing through that was a great visual feast, and felt as epic as things like The Living End had once felt for me as well.