Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Danfun64

Other free content doom maps

I'm curious if there are any other doom level wads which are compatible with freedoom's license. FreeDM doesn't count. OBLIGE maps don't count.

let me clarify...

The maps don't have to explicitly be under freedoom's license. They just need to have no copyright related restrictions. Public domain maps also work. Maps that only require attribution also work. Lastly, and optionally, I would prefer it if the maps were compatible with at least doom legacy or odamex (or both, or maybe even vanilla/chocolate doom)

This WAD is sort of under GPL; read the Copyright to see what I mean:
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=9973
This WAD is also GPL with the exception of being BSP'd with Deep:
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=12922
There are no Public Domain maps afaik.
cato_01 and LOH2 are vanilla compatible I Think. tekbrik requires a Boom-compatible sourceport.
Otherwise there are lots of WAD:s in idgames archive with the following copyright:

"Authors MAY use the contents of this file as a base for modification or reuse with proper attribution.
Permissions have been obtained from original authors for any of their resources modified
or included in this file.

You MAY distribute this file, provided you include this text file as
well as cah_credits.txt, with no modifications. You may distribute
this file in any electronic format (BBS, Diskette, CD, etc) as long as
you include this file and cah_credits.txt intact.
I have received permission from the original authors of any modified
or included content in this file to allow further distribution."
or variants thereof (this one is from Cold as Hell).

The closest you come is to select to search for "Whole textfile" and type in the license of your choice.

Cire quoted:
"... Permissions have been obtained from original authors for any of their resources modified or included in this file. ... I have received permission from the original authors of any modified or included content in this file to allow further distribution."

Note that for many of the wads that have one or both of the statements in their text-file, it is not true, and the authors have not in fact done so.

Consider my mapset, Sinister Intention to be free content (aside from the music). I don't mind if the maps get re-used, re-mixed or re-interpreted as abstract dance.

They're limit-removing, though I think there's only VPO risks in about three of them.

Feel free to do anything you want with every map I ever released, but some of them use midis and graphics that might not be free so maybe you will have to retexture them and delete the music.

The GPL requires further restrictions than the Freedoom license so GPL maps are NOT suitable for Freedoom.

Danfun64 said:

pity you can't search the idgames database by copyright status...

That's one of my unfinished projects, some NPL to try and do that, and rank the results by /idgame rating, to find a list of PWADs that could be carried by Debian.

XCOPY said:

I think you are misunderstanding something, here. You can play any PWAD, even non free ones, with Freedoom.

Rather than looking for maps released under free licenses, it would be far more helpful to look for authors willing to re-release their maps under free licenses.

Thanks, XCOPY, I added Abandoned Base to LibreGameWiki. Also I agree with fraggle that it would be great if some authors would be willing to re-license their maps under free licenses.