Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
15098D

Doom Extended.WAD

Hello everyone! Good news, I've built up the guts to toss a recent mod out into the internet. Not this wad isn't quite finished, I have yet to make a clear ending, but plaese download it and let me know what you think. In this WAD you and some other marines are sent on a simple mission to destroy the enemy and push them back.

http://www.mediafire.com/?2l4d8yxjfrgy2p9

Full Version:
http://www.mediafire.com/?leioxadnsnkqg33
In the full version the last level you are told the first part of the level was a dream. This is not true, it was actually a memory.

It would really help if you gave us a little more info about your WAD, as well as some screenshots or stuff like that :)

Here are your screenshots that you wanted. Click to enlarge

Sorry, but this is really bad. The design is horrible and looks like something from 1994 and the gameplay is very boring. Not to mention annoying, like at the start of MAP02 where I managed to read that same paragraph about 4 times over before it disappeared. You could easily half the time that it stays there for.
While I understand the idea behind the use of the friendly marines, I ended up killing them as well since it's likely that they will just kill you. I didn't really appreciate running into a room of WolfSS and then getting killed in one hit by the SSG Marine.
That final chopper on MAP03 is a bit of dick move for anyone who's playing this. I wasn't expecting it and so ran through the area full pelt and then died instantly to a barrage of rockets. I don't mind taking some damage but dying and having to restart the level is just stupid. I'm not trying to discourage you or anything, but there's one metric fuckton of improvements that can be made to this.

End of rant.

What port is this for? I played in ZDoom 2.6.1.3794 but I think some stuff didn't work because a saw a few <!> objects on map03 and that thing on the last screen wasn't shooting at me.

I didn't really appreciate running into a room of WolfSS and then getting killed in one hit by the SSG Marine.

Heh, I quite liked this aspect of gameplay, I think it's interesting how you have to be careful with those marines. Reminds me of Coop with friendly fire ON, unfortunately such online servers are pretty much nonexistent because of trolls.

Memfis said:

What port is this for? I played in ZDoom 2.6.1.3794 but I think some stuff didn't work because a saw a few <!> objects on map03 and that thing on the last screen wasn't shooting at me.

Heh, I quite liked this aspect of gameplay, I think it's interesting how you have to be careful with those marines. Reminds me of Coop with friendly fire ON, unfortunately such online servers are pretty much nonexistent because of trolls.

You need Skulltag, forgot to mention that.

Eris Falling said:

Here are your screenshots that you wanted. Click to enlarge

Sorry, but this is really bad. The design is horrible and looks like something from 1994 and the gameplay is very boring. Not to mention annoying, like at the start of MAP02 where I managed to read that same paragraph about 4 times over before it disappeared. You could easily half the time that it stays there for.
While I understand the idea behind the use of the friendly marines, I ended up killing them as well since it's likely that they will just kill you. I didn't really appreciate running into a room of WolfSS and then getting killed in one hit by the SSG Marine.
That final chopper on MAP03 is a bit of dick move for anyone who's playing this. I wasn't expecting it and so ran through the area full pelt and then died instantly to a barrage of rockets. I don't mind taking some damage but dying and having to restart the level is just stupid. I'm not trying to discourage you or anything, but there's one metric fuckton of improvements that can be made to this.

End of rant.

and THIS is why I was hesitant to put this online.
1.) Boring? Rally?
2.) Im a newbie when it comes to script, I couldn't make the text vanish faster. Plus, there are some people who read very slowly (Im not included).
3.) When I made this WAD I wanted to focous more on story and new scripting ticks I learned.
4.) Just kill the friendly marine if you dont want him, 1-2 shots, DONE!
5.) I can still inter it in the Shitty Doom WADs on Youtube. ;D

15098D said:

and THIS is why I was hesitant to put this online.
1.) Boring? Rally?
2.) Im a newbie when it comes to script, I couldn't make the text vanish faster. Plus, there are some people who read very slowly (Im not included).
3.) When I made this WAD I wanted to focous more on story and new scripting ticks I learned.
4.) Just kill the friendly marine if you dont want him, 1-2 shots, DONE!
5.) I can still inter it in the Shitty Doom WADs on Youtube.

1. Yes. The rocket launching choppers, and firing a rocket back it was kind of cool, but that was about it.
  2. *nothing to say for this*
  3. Sounds a bit like a test map to me, in which case the poor visual design can be forgiven. Everyone makes test maps, but I don't see any need to release them.
  4. I did, but that sort of defeats the object of him being there.
  5. Correct. Just don't make that something to be proud of :P
I'm not questioning your mapping potential at all. I think I came across a bit too harsh too earlier, which seems to always be the case when I comment on things like this. Everyone starts somewhere, and with some time I expect you'll be producing some decent maps.

I can try and help a bit with visual aspects:

Don't forget to put doors in smaller sectors (height of 128 is fine for example), and unless they're secrets, use a door texture for them, or at least make them look like something that is supposed to be pressed. Use DOORTRAK to the side of the doors and make sure you lower unpeg them, to make it look like the door is sliding up the tracks.

Try not to use one texture for a huge wall like you've done on these maps. Break the walls by adding small bits of detail, like computer panels for example, or waterfalls. A bit like that slime fall near the start of your MAP01, but on a larger scale.

Keep an eye on the lengths of each wall for texture alignment reasons. Most textures, need to be on line lengths that are mutiples of 16, 32, 64 or 128 or even 256, depending on the appearance of the texture. A texture like METAL6 can be used on multiples of 64 or higher, whereas METAL2 can be used in multiples of 32, because it doesn't have the light on the bottom.

As far as scripting is concerned though, I can't help you, although there are plenty of people who can.

Eris Falling said:

1. Yes. The rocket launching choppers, and firing a rocket back it was kind of cool, but that was about it.
  2. *nothing to say for this*
  3. Sounds a bit like a test map to me, in which case the poor visual design can be forgiven. Everyone makes test maps, but I don't see any need to release them.
  4. I did, but that sort of defeats the object of him being there.
  5. Correct. Just don't make that something to be proud of :P
I'm not questioning your mapping potential at all. I think I came across a bit too harsh too earlier, which seems to always be the case when I comment on things like this. Everyone starts somewhere, and with some time I expect you'll be producing some decent maps.

I can try and help a bit with visual aspects:

Don't forget to put doors in smaller sectors (height of 128 is fine for example), and unless they're secrets, use a door texture for them, or at least make them look like something that is supposed to be pressed. Use DOORTRAK to the side of the doors and make sure you lower unpeg them, to make it look like the door is sliding up the tracks.

Try not to use one texture for a huge wall like you've done on these maps. Break the walls by adding small bits of detail, like computer panels for example, or waterfalls. A bit like that slime fall near the start of your MAP01, but on a larger scale.

Keep an eye on the lengths of each wall for texture alignment reasons. Most textures, need to be on line lengths that are mutiples of 16, 32, 64 or 128 or even 256, depending on the appearance of the texture. A texture like METAL6 can be used on multiples of 64 or higher, whereas METAL2 can be used in multiples of 32, because it doesn't have the light on the bottom.

As far as scripting is concerned though, I can't help you, although there are plenty of people who can.

This want supposed to be a test map. And, Im working on another level for it right now.

Eris Falling said:

I did, but that sort of defeats the object of him being there.

I think it doesn't. You have a choice: either get rid of your friends and make the map harder for yourself or try to fight together with them but then you have to be careful to not get shot. Sounds like a cool game mechanic to me.

Memfis said:

I think it doesn't. You have a choice: either get rid of your friends and make the map harder for yourself or try to fight together with them but then you have to be careful to not get shot. Sounds like a cool game mechanic to me.

If you think that's cool then you should see what Im curently working on for the map.

11 hours ago, bemused said:

with zero new information to contribute too... Bravo, good work.

At least wait until I post to start thanking me for all I've done.

13 hours ago, bemused said:

top tier necrobumping there, and with zero new information to contribute too... Bravo, good work.