What decade did you grow up in?

What decade did you grow up in?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What decade did you grow up in?

• I grew up in the same decade I was born in
    • I grew up during the subsequent decade
    • Impse

Coopersville said:

Born in 1987, but I recognize myself as more of a "90s-kid".

Same here. Born in '85. I have very few memories from the 80s. As an adult I've become hopelessly nostalgic, but oddly enough with the 80s more so than the 90s.

DoomUK said:

Why do people tend to say they grew up in the same decade they were born in? It's common parlance, but I wonder how often it's said in a literal sense?

I'm not sure that I have ever heard anyone say that.

Born '91, I consider myself a 90s boy. More fond memories then compared to 2000 and beyond.

Well I got my first game console (gamecube) in 03 and laptop and pc while going to TAFE for a tech course during 04 to 07 so I'm okay with those years, however 08 and beyond is the time period I'm finding to be not all that great.

Born in 1950.Had to grow up pretty fast.Still feels weird to say anything like 50 years ago....well you know what I mean.I had my first babysitting job over 50 years ago.Oh,lordy me!Am I really that old!?! Sure don't feel like it.....too much.

I was born in '91 like Joshy. I don't know if I'll ever be considered "grown-up", the social reject that I am. : /

Born in '84. I grew up in the '90s but I never followed the trends. There's something about music from the '80s that gives me a sweeping feel of nostalgia, though, probably due to how much of it my parents carried over into the '90s and the fact that, well, the cultural waves of the '80s were still sloshing around on MTV et al, which my parents watched for quite a bit before it self-destructed.

Enjay said:

I'm not sure that I have ever heard anyone say that.

I hear it said quite regularly. This thread has been surprising in that most of you seem to think like I do.

I wonder what it is really meant to mean? I grew up quickly? I'm a [insert decade here] child and a [insert same decade here] person? Or what?

I've heard people saying things like they were born in the wrong decade but not the expression that this thread is about. Given that we are both in the UK (I assume) it's odd that I haven't come across the expression too.

(Unless you count the previous page of course.)

My first console was NES, and I bought my frist decent desktop in 2003. But I had a cheap laptop that played Starcraft, Civilization II, and Doom before that in the late 90s.

I think the early 90s was a really cool time for video games. I loved super nintendo.

Mr. Chris said:

Born in 1982, grew up during 1985-86 and during the 90s when shit was actually pretty cool.

I think things started to suck around the late 90s, around the time boy bands, Jay-Z, and Pop-punk became popular. I remember seeing the beginnings of popularity of the whole Emo bullshit during high school too in the early 2000s. All the little pop-punk turds became emo kids. Today they all (devolved?) into snooty hipsters.

Born in 83

Mostly remember the 90s

As somebody said here previously there were some great toys and the video games in the early 90s were just fantastic and still are to this day.

Like the fellow above, I to stumbled out of the womb in the year of '83 and also like said fellow, it's mostly the 90's I remember.

the two things that stood out to me as far as that decade goes was firstly; how awesome the games where. Watching insane leaps in technology and said technology being put to work in innovative ways in fantastic games for outright coolness
Seeing Wolfenstein 3D first time, then seeing Doom for first time, then Quake, then Unreal then Half-life. It was hell of a ride and isn't something you really see nowadays. The tech is still improving but it's not the grand leaps like it was in the 90's and it's either bundled with a AAA shooter that isn't particularity interesting or it's just the kind of thing that makes you go "heh, neat." all the rad design stuff are generally made on game engines that are either a few years old or aren't super impressive from a raw technical. There where also moutain of amazing games that weren't technical marvels as well, but if I list them out I'll be here all night.

The other thing that stood out was how the retards in my crummy little town could only talk about basket ball cards and fucking sport shoes.

EDIT: OH! It was also the decade when the Simpsons funny. God damn.

Captain Red said:

Seeing Wolfenstein 3D first time, then seeing Doom for first time, then Quake, then Unreal then Half-life. It was hell of a ride and isn't something you really see nowadays. The tech is still improving but it's not the grand leaps like it was in the 90's and it's either bundled with a AAA shooter that isn't particularity interesting or it's just the kind of thing that makes you go "heh, neat."

Agreed.

Though it spilled over into the early 00's. For me, the last spectacularly impressive jump in tech was when Doom 3/idtech4 was first shown off to the world. Far Cry (1) was also a marvel when I played it for the first time. But all of this was a decade or more ago, and since then I've not seen anything which (almost literally) takes my breath away.

Unfortunately for me my first pc game was Recoil which came with my families pc back in 2000/01 and it was the only pc game I had for a while, I was mainly a gameboy player until I got my gamecube back in 03, then finally got my own pc a few years lator and went on from there, it's a shame I didn't have and experience Doom and later good pc games back before 2000.

Avoozl said:

Unfortunately for me my first pc game was Recoil which came with my families pc back in 2000/01 and it was the only pc game I had for a while, I was mainly a gameboy player until I got my gamecube back in 03, then finally got my own pc a few years lator and went on from there, it's a shame I didn't have and experience Doom and later good pc games back before 2000.

Shame :(

I treasure the days when I lived with my parents, no job, no worries and simply enjoyed playing some of the amazing revolutionary new games out on PC such as Doom, X-wing, Worms etc

Born in the 80's, and grew up in the mid to late 90's...because that's what I can remember. Shit like Rocko's Modern life was the norm on TV, I even remember having the 32X version of Doom at one point, which was my first exposure to the game. I miss that era, it seems so glorious to the seemingly boring and stagnant one we live in now.

Born in 93, grew up in Frusli bar town. Unfortunately, I would class myself as growing up in the 00's as I only remember a few things from the 90's. Such as, watching the Arsenal games, playing Doom on the PSX when I was around 4, along with other PSX games when I was slightly older (DN3D, Exhumed etc). I also remember an accident I had at he age of 3 but that's about it. The 00's sucked arse for me, I wish I was old enough o really enjoy the fruits of the 90's.

81 here. But I don't feel that any specific decade - 80s, 90s, 00s - was the one in which I 'grew up'. I'm not at all sentimental about the 80s or 90s, and don't feel that they've left any significant social or cultural imprint on me (that's not to say they haven't, just that I don't feel as though they have), and of the three the 00s are probably the most significant, since that's the decade in which I came of age, insofar as I was done with school, and had a lot of latitude to do, more or less, whatever I wanted to; they were heady years :)

Born in 1991, so I remember a fair amount of the mid-late '90s. Hell, I started playing games in the mid '90s after watching my brother, starting with Doom II. As such, even though I was way too young to appreciate it at the time, I remember the staggering technological growth that the PC games industry underwent during the '90s. I guess this is why modern games hold no interest for me. My personal development basically went something like this:

Doom II -> Star Wars: Dark Forces -> Duke Nukem 3D -> Quake -> Shadow Warrior (OK so maybe not a step up here but still a good game) -> Star Wars: Jedi Knight -> Quake II -> Quake III -> Thief II: The Metal Age (again graphically not a step up but yeah...) -> Return to Castle Wolfenstein, then thanks to the Internet and becoming a teenager things got complicated.

So yeah, pretty crazy times to be a PC gamer. Games like the original Doom, Half-Life, Unreal, Halo etc. I only visited after they were released, after the event.

I remember that Quake, Star Wars: Rogue Squadron and Quake II (possibly Quake III too) were all games that forced us to upgrade our computer, as their system requirements were that high at the time. Having to go out and actually buy a graphics card for the first time...

I also recall that the first time I was made "aware" of what year it was, it was 1995.

All this being said however, I (obviously) continued growing up during most of the '00s. Again, thanks to the Internet and becoming a teenager, the early '00s was when I started playing games on-line and interacting with other people. I remember that the first (and one of the only) games that I actually looked forward to was Aliens versus Predator II, and that game certainly didn't disappoint.

My on-line experiences culminated during the middle of the last decade, where I spent many years playing Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory and got quite heavily involved with clans, tournaments and the like. However, once my activities in that game started to dwindle (clans fell apart, people moved on, school got more intense and overall shit/life got real), I pretty much abandoned on-line gaming completely, and to this day have only very rarely played on-line since.
I guess that once you become so heavily involved with a particular game and it's community, and invest so much of your life into it (oh noes, so sad...), once it's over, the memories constantly hang over your future experiences in that medium. To word this differently, I stay away from on-line gaming because I know that it will never be the same as my memories of yesteryear. That and because I no longer have decades of free time to invest in playing games.

That was a weird little exposition, so apologies for that. Many unnecessary paragraphs for the win!