Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Doomist

GTA Vice City sound and sensitivity fix?

Is there some kind of patch or solution that can fix the CRAZY Y-axis sensitivity (which is NOT affected by the option) and lack of vehicle sounds? I don't know how Rockstar screwed up on the PC port, and I bought this on Steam, I thought it would be perfect because to be honest with you, I may have pirated it off the internet, thinking it was an error.

I wish I had a fix for you. Rockstar's PC ports are atrocious in terms of quality. The support for modding is nice but they also screw quite a number of things up that sort of downgrade the experience. I never got Vice City on PC to control comfortably, and GTA 4 was only playable for me with an XBox controller. Then Game For Windows Live on top of the terrible Rockstar Social club, on top of steam. And don't get me started on optimization. The last time I tried playing GTA 4 the framerate was unplayable on every graphics setting, and my computer is no slouch, it can play anything.

I played GTA VC with a gamepad, so I didn't notice the sensitivity issue you speak of. Also had no problems with the sound as far as I recall.

But yes, GTA VC on the PC is a pile of shit nevertheless, just like all of Rockstar's PC ports. GTA 4 arguably being the worst - you need an astronomically powerful system to get acceptable framerates with the quality settings turned up.

The PC ports are hard to control with a mouse and keyboard, outside of basic running and driving (so GTA3 is pretty playable, and VC/SA are nearly unplayable once you need aircraft, particularly planes in SA). Aiming is definitely nicer, but that hardly makes up for how hard it is to control a helicopter/plane. The gamepad support leaves a lot to be desired; I know GTA3 had the axises backwards on my PS2 controller, while SA wouldn't let you bind the D-pad so you couldn't mimic the PS2 control scheme on it. Luckily with SA there's a program called SAAC that'll let you fix its control issues, but you need to downgrade to v1.0. No such luck with GTA3/VC.

With the GTA3 trilogy, I definitely think you get a better experience overall on the PS2. At the same time, it's really hard to go back to low res and a 25 FPS cap after playing the games on the PC.

Dragonsbrethren said:

but that hardly makes up for how hard it is to control a helicopter/plane

It is? News to me.

Back in the day I remember hearing a lot of complaints about the heli dynamite planting mission from VC, which is ridiculously easy for me. Same goes for SA's plane races, flying school, etc.

Belial said:

It is? News to me.

Congratulations, you're better at a video game than me!

I personally found the mouse and keyboard flying controls atrocious and they're what finally forced me to switch to a controller for these games.

The Doomist said:

Is there some kind of patch or solution that can fix the CRAZY Y-axis sensitivity (which is NOT affected by the option) and lack of vehicle sounds? I don't know how Rockstar screwed up on the PC port, and I bought this on Steam, I thought it would be perfect because to be honest with you, I may have pirated it off the internet, thinking it was an error.

I had a different problem regarding the mouse not working sometimes. It was fixed checking the "disable visual themes" option on the "gta-vc.exe" file. (Windows 7 by the way).

Belial said:

It is? News to me.

Back in the day I remember hearing a lot of complaints about the heli dynamite planting mission from VC, which is ridiculously easy for me. Same goes for SA's plane races, flying school, etc.

I could never finish this level back in the days (around 2002/2003) but this month I decided to complete 100% of vice city (damn, hidden packages/stunt jumps were a pain but I made it) and to achieve my goal I had to try this mission again. Turns out I didn't knew the helicopters and airplanes had a "second control" on the numeric keypad specific for going ahead/backwards and quickly changing the horizontal orientation (I configured them to be 8,4,5,6 like in W,A,S,D) and suddenly it got a lot f*cking easier. The same for the dodo and rc airplanes.

Belial said:

It is? News to me.

IDK. Flying takes a lot of getting used to on PC because you have no analog control. (I played the PC versions first, then PS2.)