Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Egregor

HYMN: Final Release, finally!

HYMN is a Doomworld community project for Heretic. It is a 9 level episode that features custom textures. HYMN should be compatible with most modern Boom and ZDoom related ports, but has an emphasis on 'vanilla' style mapping.

Final Release
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=17270

Roster with Screen Shots:
E1M1: Port Pavera by Pavera: http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q512/jeff_king1/HYMN%20ALPHA/01_zpsebf093a2.png
E1M2: Pathetic Reprimand by Boared: http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q512/jeff_king1/HYMN%20ALPHA/02_zpsaa9965f6.png
E1M3: Badlands by EvilNed01: http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q512/jeff_king1/HYMN%20ALPHA/03_zps30360ce9.png
E1M4: Temple of The Fallen Lords by Egregor (project host): http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q512/jeff_king1/HYMN%20ALPHA/04_zpseca5d8dd.png
E1M5: Optifort Prime by Optimus: http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q512/jeff_king1/HYMN%20ALPHA/05_zps80a2ab76.png
E1M6: Myth Falls by A.Gamma (project support): http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q512/jeff_king1/HYMN%20ALPHA/06_zpsa8bd95ea.png
E1M7: Anachronistic Metropolis by Xaser (project support): http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q512/jeff_king1/HYMN%20ALPHA/08_zps83a52e01.png
E1M8: Sacrilegium Surrexit by DooMAD: http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q512/jeff_king1/HYMN%20ALPHA/07_zps70ca637c.png
E1M9: Domus by Cacowad: http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q512/jeff_king1/HYMN%20ALPHA/09_zpsfc0749ed.png

Development:
-Alpha submissions
-Alpha release v1 was downloaded 101 times
-Alpha release v2a was downloaded 13 times
-Alpha v2b release: Members of The DW Megawad Club will have the option to play through a second, improved Alpha (provided by May 10th) and offer community feedback
-Beta testing and feedback: contributors play each other's levels, search for bugs and balance problems and make improvement suggestions
-Beta submissions: each contributor submits an improved, polished, finished level
-Beta release: broad community feedback and final adjustments before being submitted to idgames archive
-Final release: submitted to /idgames archive
-Project finished!

Special Thanks:
-Vermil for Doomsday port compatibility support
-Quasar for port compatibility support
-Wesley Johnson for port compatibility support

Title picture by DooMAD, Help picture by Harmata.

DWmegawad Club thread
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/64427-the-dwmegawad-club-plays-stardate-20x6-monochrome-mapping-project/

Old Thread:
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/62069-hymn-a-heretic-community-project/

Uh oh -- what's with this "Vanilla Compatible" talk? The mod needs at least a Boom-compat port because it defines custom switches and animated textures, and we established earlier that it hasn't been extensively tested on anything that's not ZDoom. Better not recommend an incompatible port for the playtesters to stumble over. :(

[EDIT] Ah, better now. The key point was that it's not ZDoom-only, or at least is not intended to be. :P

While I'm thinking of it, the alpha wad appears to be missing music for A.Gamma's map and no map names are present (though admittedly a large portion of the maps are currently unnamed). The city thing of mine is "Anachronistic Metropolis", for the curious.

Possible titlepic candidate:

//EDIT: Made the text stand out a little more:

I'll be posting an updated version of E1M1 that fixes a couple of texturing inconsistencies and implements difficulty settings any time now. Glad to see the map was received, though! It finally has a home. :)

Given the only boom features used appear to be an ANIMATED and SWITCHES lump; couldn't the graphics for them all just be bolted onto vanilla graphics.

Of course, Chocolate Heretic aside, I don't think theres any Heretic supporting port, that doesn't support those lumps.

Some bugs:

The graphic for FLAT508B has not been saved in the image format for flats and hence may appear as garbage in some ports.

Obviously misaligned bookcase on linedef 992 on E1M2.

The Ophidians in sector 142 are stuck on E1M4. Also, some unknown textures on E1M4; may cause some ports to crash.

On E1M6, the Golems in sector 1906 are stuck.

The voodoo doll on E1M6, required to access the secret exit, relies on ZDoom specific behaviour. In ZDoom as of writing, dolls are automatically affected by Vanilla scrolling sector types. But in Vanilla they are never affected by scrolling sector types. In Vanilla Heretic, doll's are affected by Vanilla Wind sector types however, once the doll has taken damage.

Wonderful detailing especially in E1M7. Such a great map! I especially like how you made the Gothic arches. Very creative! The Warcraft 2 music fits perfectly.

I'm trying to get the alpha release picked as the Megawad Club wad for the start of May. If I am successful, you should start getting lots of feedback in a couple of weeks :)

Capellan: I wasn't planning on making an alpha version 2, but if this project IS selected, allow me to give the club a 'special' alpha 2 that fixes the most major current bugs. This alpha is in pretty messy shape right now. Thanks!

Egregor said:

Capellan: I wasn't planning on making an alpha version 2, but if this project IS selected, allow me to give the club a 'special' alpha 2 that fixes the most major current bugs. This alpha is in pretty messy shape right now. Thanks!

Cool. I've let dobugabumaru (who co-ordinates the club threads) know.

noticed only now that in e1m9 the player may remain trapped into the elevator if he does not have the blue key, fixing it now.

Played through the first map, was pretty good (though from a gameplay point of view the secret over the wall seems a bit overfilled with goodies). If we're gonna be doing a playthrough for the Megawad club, I'll hold off on the rest though.

I suppose if we're doing a version bump for a megaclub playthrough (which would be great!), we may as well update the wad with map names if nothing else -- though that kinda boils down to bugging the authors to name their maps (or let someone else pick them if they have no preference). :P

Dunno why that matters so much to me, but it does somehow.

Xaser said:

I suppose if we're doing a version bump for a megaclub playthrough (which would be great!), we may as well update the wad with map names if nothing else -- though that kinda boils down to bugging the authors to name their maps (or let someone else pick them if they have no preference). :P

Dunno why that matters so much to me, but it does somehow.

You can't change map names in Vanilla Heretic. Unlike Vanilla Doom, map names aren't graphics, but are text strings.

To change them you have to use the Heretic version of Dehacked, which no port supports and/or a MAPINFO lump and/or a Map Info Ded def etc etc.

The project isn't vanilla Heretic. Also, there's no harm in doing MAPINFOs/DEDs to make them work in ports that support them, so why not?

Alright guys, post your map titles here and I'll post them up. Also give the alpha a play through and give feedback.

(If the DWmegawad club decides they want us to) I will make an alpha 2 in about two weeks so give me updated versions! They should be able to give us some much needed feedback. I know I need to add A.Gamma's custom music, sorry about that buddy! I think DooMADs custom title looks awesome so unless there is any objections I will include it as well. I'm not sure why I have unknown custom textures in my particular level . . . Seems strange. I've already fixed a few things with my level due to feedback. I've already got an updated E1M9 from Cacowad, thanks for that. Keep pushing forward!

my map is named "Domus", no custom music by now.
i may be able/willing to do MAPINFO, but i don't know how DED or dehacked work.
Doomad custom title is ok for me (even if i liked the screenshot for doomad's level :P).
yep, i noticed that there are some missing textures in doombuilder, but i think it is a problem with the TEXTUREx lump(s) since they show up fine in game.
no, still forgot to test|write down notes to give some feedbacks.

Hmmmm, I never really thought about a name for my map... Something cheesy like Myth Falls or Castle Höhle should do :P

@Egregor : Don't worry about the music, it wouldn't be a true alpha if things did not broke.

Also, I will upload an updated version of my map sometime during the week.

Currently hosting a livestream of my HYMN Alpha playthrough. Live commentary as well as other fun sorts will be had!

twitch.tv/krispavera

Join and watch if you're interested in seeing your maps played live! I'll save the footage so it can be rewatched later by any who missed it.

Pavera said:

Currently hosting a livestream of my HYMN Alpha playthrough. Live commentary as well as other fun sorts will be had!

twitch.tv/krispavera

Join and watch if you're interested in seeing your maps played live! I'll save the footage so it can be rewatched later by any who missed it.

Watching!

EDIT : That was a lot of fun! Also useful since I found bugs I never even knew existed!

Heh, actually just came to this thread to share that Mr. Pavera was streaming. Good stream so far! I'm enjoying it.

Stream is over! Here's a link to the recording: http://www.twitch.tv/krispavera/b/397473472

I apologize for getting horribly stuck on E1M4 and looking really stupid. I actually like the map.. I just got mad and gave up cause I'm dumb!

I only went up through E1M6. Will be doing the rest of the levels tomorrow, hopefully.

watching the stream rigth now, thank you for doing it and, err, sorry in advance for what my map will do to you :)

Pavera, I watched your play through. Thanks for doing it by the way. I am so sorry for my level. It was painful watching you have so much difficulty with the layout. Looks like I have some work to do ahead of me.

The name for my level is Pathetic Reprimand. I am busy playing trough the levels. Hopefully I will have the time to fix some things. Also nice to see somebody else play the levels.

Egregor said:

Pavera, I watched your play through. Thanks for doing it by the way. I am so sorry for my level. It was painful watching you have so much difficulty with the layout. Looks like I have some work to do ahead of me.

I think the only part that really needs to be more obvious is the switch in the forest area. The lava pit stuff was a combination of being frustrated at dying/receiving directions from the chat that just confused me more. AFAIK, other people (tarnsman) didn't have much trouble navigating that area, and tarnsman quite liked your map. I really do like the map, though! I just get flustered when lost. :P

@Pavera: It was a great experience for me to watch someone play my level and comment, so hilarious but also eye opening. It's the phenomenon where someone creates a map and because he knows where to go and what places to avoid, secrets and stuff, he thinks it just plays fine. But seeing another person following a pattern you don't because he doesn't know your map, is moer interesting, hilarious comments too there pushing those eggs (ok, gonna change that). While I knew about the pitfalls, flat rooms, no heights, textures need to be fixed, it's nice to know about the gameplay issues from a different perspective than mine.

Yesterday, I finished playing all the maps. I might comment with more details on some soon. Well,. I do remember being lost in that lava room and resurrect myself as you did on the video on the level before mine. I enjoyed some of the later maps for their design even though they were vast, and some of the early smaller levels too.

Hmm, if my map's to remain E1M8, I'm thinking of maybe having the current exit teleporter lead to a new area where you have a big climactic lich fight. Does that seem like a good idea or would that be sorta shoehorny?

Xaser said:

Hmm, if my map's to remain E1M8, I'm thinking of maybe having the current exit teleporter lead to a new area where you have a big climactic lich fight. Does that seem like a good idea or would that be sorta shoehorny?

Yes, I personally was expecting a big boss fight at the end.