Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Egregor

HYMN: Final Release, finally!

I admit that the ending was visually underwhelming in E1M8, but I didn't miss a big boss fight due to the appearance of the rest of the map and the large number of monsters already faced on it.

Also, Iron Liches feature so much in the HYMN maps and the player should be packing every weapon in the game by the end of E1M8, that they would no longer feel exclusive, powerful or stand out enough to function as bosses in a final battle.

I think a completely new area would feel tacked on. It would have to be directly attached to the existing map area. A final structure could perhaps be placed on the left side of the map? Or maybe a huge tower (i.e bigger than any structure in the city) in the north.

Personal opinion is the central visual point of a new structure should be the portal, mentioned, but never seen, in the original ending of Heretic E1M8. Combat should take a secondary role in this structure.

I could pretty easily put a big tower thing on the northeast edge of the map (beyond the "apartments" as I call them) since there's nothing behind that wall ('cept gargoyles) at the moment. Plus, I guess it's not really a Xaser map without a bigass tower somewhere in it. :P

My thoughts on the alpha so far:

E1M2

Fun little map, but I couldn't really grasp a general theme here. Where am I? Anyway, that's not criticism or praise, that's just a thought.

I like the idea of a great courtyard with many different routes to explore that all lead to the blue and yellow gates, that both need to be opened to progress to the exit. Right off the bat, the maps pretty tough compared to what I'm used to in Heretic. It might be the uses of Ophidians, or it might be that almost all enemy encounters are a fine balance of the beastiary in a way that I've yet to master.

A pretty fast paced map, as well, with many wide open spaces and essentially a succession of arenas.

Visually, I can't find much at fault here. I liked the flags at the start, but I didn't think using two different textures for two different poles worked that great. Make them look alike, or remove one of them.

I did find myself running kinda low on ammo on various occasions, tho. I'd like a little more ammo around the courtyard.... Specifically for the dragon claw.

E1M5

Very flat map, with very little in regard of visual style. It feels kinda 90's, sorry to say, but that's both a good and bad thing.

I think this is a good ”shell” or outline, but there needs to be more heigh variation, especially in the outdoor areas. Make the courtyard more appealing.

Personally, I kinda like mazes, but this one seems to not capitalize on one of it's major advantages: It's open roof. I was attacked by a disciple in the maze, and it'd be cool if there were more attacks like that. Also, perhaps give the maze more of a personality. Right now it's all one texture all over. I know, look who's talking but, I've learned from my mistakes.

Otherwise, this map gave me very little ammo yet lots of items. I liked how I had to rely on the tomes of power together with the gauntlets to make it out of the starting area, but maybe give us the gauntlets right away. Also, this map wouldn't work as well if it's not from a pistol/wand start.

The Golems stuck on the stairs cant reach the player, they are pretty easily dealth with. You should probably replace the with something else, like Ophidians or Weredragons.

Also have a look here:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/EvilNed/Screenshot_Heretic_20130502_225122.png

I don´t think it looks that good when the sector that is "lit up" by the window stretches all the way to the walls bordering the window itself. I usually do it like this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/EvilNed/Untitled.jpg

I think that usually looks better. But that's just me.

E1M6

Nice world and nice level. I enjoy the feeling of being underground, and there's a strong fantasy feeling present. To be sure.

The biggest problem with me is the vastness of the map, coupled with the non-linearity of it. You're bound to get lost, on more than one occasion, and never do you get a sense of direction anywhere. I actually stopped playing after entering the green key room and finding the librabry (great room, by the way. Love libraries!). I pressed a button in there and a bunch of golems teleported in... And... Yeah, and? I had no idea where to go from here, and the map is large enough that merely trying to guess where to go, or trial-and-error it, is just boring.

I also almost ran out of ammo on a couple of occasions. I didn't find the dragon claw until the green area but i found ammo for it lying around everywhere. I felt as if I had missed its pickup, but then I found it and figured that maybe I hadnt?

The visuals here are great, but I'm having a tough time judging this because I simply didn't really enjoy the map due to it simply being – too big and directionless. Sorry, can't put it any clearer than that.

I've also played E1M1 and E1M4, but I have to replay E1M1 as I cant remember much of it and I half-way through of E1M4 and didn't feel like starting over just then. So I'll get back to the rest.

Well, DooMAD's map is currently unfinished, and occupying E1M7, but if he made a big finale we might be able to have Xaser and DooMAD switch spots. I'm suggesting his map because its unfinished and perhaps has more elasticity, and also I'm hesitant to tell Xaser to add more monsters to his whopping 400 or 500 monster count of a map. I'm flexible though.

EDIT: Oh, and on a personal note my E1M4 has gotten a layout improvement making it so players wont get stuck looking for a route to continue. Other areas have been highlighted to emphasize route progress. I am continuing to make improvements based off of criticisms.

I never really intended it for an E1M8 slot anyway -- E1M7 is actually where I would've stuck it, personally, so that'd get my vote depending on DooMAD's input.

Vermil said:

Also, Iron Liches feature so much in the HYMN maps and the player should be packing every weapon in the game by the end of E1M8, that they would no longer feel exclusive, powerful or stand out enough to function as bosses in a final battle.

Same thing could be said as well for The Ossuary, and yet there's Shattered Bridge.

E1M7 and E1M8

E1M7

What a maze! A huge castle that I'm supposed to navigate myself through and kill all the baddies. A pretty bare outing visually, but it has more to do with the fact that everything is so big, rather than it being a lack of detail. The entire map seems to be a scaled up version of the castle that would fit Corvus and his enemies.

Inside the castle itself, I did manage to navigate myself around but it did feel mazelike. I found the green and yellow key and door, but inside the yellow door was a switch that did something. I have no idea what it did, all I know is that my next step should have been to find the blue key, yet after running around the map 10 times with just the corpses of all the enemies for company, I just quit it.

I like the idea, but the keyword here for me is maze. I like mazes too, but this entire map feels like one big maze. Sorry. I'd have liked more arenas strown about, and less ambiguity. What did that switch do, for instance? There shouldn't be a moment of doubt in my mind what that switch did once I pressed it. Nobody likes running around trying to figure that out.

E1M8

Nice city map. You´ve crammed the entirety of vanilla E1 into one map.

Right off the bat, here's a very, very important thing I have to say:

GIVE ME MY CROSSBOW RIGHT OFF THE BAT.

Here's another thing I think would make this a better map.

THE DRAGON CLAW SHOULD NOT BE RAISED, IT SHOULD BE EASILY ACCESSIBLE.

This is a slaughtermap without any weapons. I'm running around with my wand and a couple of tomes and, admittedly, killing a few demons. But there's 500+ monsters here, and about half of those come at you right off the bat. Please give me something to fight them with! I would love to do that, but the map is denying me any form of arsenal.

I can't vouch for the rest of the map. I ran around the town for awhile, mostly poking at golems with my stick. I eventually died, as you might have reckoned.

Great map, visually, I love big open areas like this. However, monsterwise, this is just too big for my tastes. It's a slaughtermap, and a very big one. Not my cup of tea, and well, if it's not your cup of tea you're just not gonna like a map like this. Maybe with a slightly reduced monster count, and much improved arsenal, this map could be kick ass. In fact, I think it could. It would be a grand finale to this episode. I'd like for it to be just that!

E1M9

I liked this map. There was a lot of intense fighting going on here, and with interesting battles. The maulotaur being unleashed was great. He followed me up into the dining room.

Lots of corridors littered with traps that will unleash dozens of monsters upon you. Grand scale fights, although not as grand as E1M8. Felt very Heretic, somehow, whereas other maps may have felt more experimental or Hexen-ish.

I did loose my way, again, once I obtained the yellow key and walked into the yellow door and took the lift up, I was stranded. I could not get into the blue key door up ahead and I could not get the lift to go back down. So theres a warning for you, there's the possibility of being stuck up there with no escape.

I noclipped out of there and ran around looking for the blue key, or any way of advancing the level, but found none. Eventually, i strafe/ran onto the large landmass surrounding the fortress, where all the monsters where sniping at me, and I ran into a cave and the map exited. So maybe that is how the level is supposed to end? Or is that a bug, being able to jump across the lava like that?

Anyway, nice level. Feels a bit unfinished in places and I was oblivious on where to go after a certain point.

So far, all maps from E1M6-E1M9 have lost me. I may have liked the map themselves, but due to them either being mazelike, like E1M6-E1M7 or due to them being too damn hard, like E1M8, or due to this here where I'm not sure if I maybe did the right thing or not, I simply haven't been able to finish the levels. I hate being stuck, as well, so if I have to give one point of criticism to these levels collectively it's this: make sure I, the player, can easily and without any form of abstract thought, get from A to B and from B to the exit. Heretic is an arcadey action game, with simply switch puzzles at best being what one should bring to it in level of complexity.

Also, I don't really like huge maps. And I like them even less when they have me running around trying to figure out what this or that switch did.

I will comment on E1M1 and E1M4 as well.

EvilNed said:

E1M7[/b]

What a maze! A huge castle that I'm supposed to navigate myself through and kill all the baddies. A pretty bare outing visually, but it has more to do with the fact that everything is so big, rather than it being a lack of detail. The entire map seems to be a scaled up version of the castle that would fit Corvus and his enemies.

Inside the castle itself, I did manage to navigate myself around but it did feel mazelike. I found the green and yellow key and door, but inside the yellow door was a switch that did something. I have no idea what it did, all I know is that my next step should have been to find the blue key, yet after running around the map 10 times with just the corpses of all the enemies for company, I just quit it.

I like the idea, but the keyword here for me is maze. I like mazes too, but this entire map feels like one big maze. Sorry. I'd have liked more arenas strown about, and less ambiguity. What did that switch do, for instance? There shouldn't be a moment of doubt in my mind what that switch did once I pressed it. Nobody likes running around trying to figure that out.

Really not sure there's anything I can do to make the switch actions any more obvious. The green key switch makes stairs raise up so you can access the raised sides of that area. The effects of the yellow key switch should be immediately apparent upon leaving that room as it changes the layout of the outdoor area completely and lets you access the latter parts of the level. 3 new big-ass walls/walkways rise up out of the ground to connect all the towers together, so it should be pretty noticeable. You can do the green and yellow keys in either order, so the level is deliberately non-linear. Is anyone else having trouble navigating?

The citymap has several redundant copies of each weapon ('cept the Mace, because the mace sucks), so run around a bit. A big part of the challenge is figuring out how to grab the boomsticks.

I do hope you didn't try and save the first tome for later. It's what makes wand-start possible. :P

DooMAD said:

Really not sure there's anything I can do to make the switch actions any more obvious. The green key switch makes stairs raise up so you can access the raised sides of that area. The effects of the yellow key switch should be immediately apparent upon leaving that room as it changes the layout of the outdoor area completely and lets you access the latter parts of the level. 3 new big-ass walls/walkways rise up out of the ground to connect all the towers together, so it should be pretty noticeable. You can do the green and yellow keys in either order, so the level is deliberately non-linear. Is anyone else having trouble navigating?

I played the map again and here's a few concrete ideas that I think would improve the map,

- The Yellow Key switch is overlooking the inner castle right now, whereas it should be looking out toward the courtyard - Where the actual changes are happening. I thinkt the yellow key room should be redesigned, so that I'm witnessing the changes that are happening.

- Design a way that allows me to get to the newly raised battlements, via the newly accessible upper levels of te castle. I spent a good deal running around up and down the stairs that the green key allowed me trying to find a away onto the battlements. I think the map would flow better if there was a way to do so. Not the only way, mind you, but A way.

I managed to beat it this time around, and apart from those two things, i think it's a good map.

@Xaser

Well, I've spoken my mind about it. Add a crossbow to the start of the map, and chasing weapons like that is not fun (in my book) just annoying. Finding the dragon claw raised after spending a good five minutes with my wand and stick was not really amusing.

I did not save the tome. In fact, I found two at the start, and used both.

You're running right past them. The claws take some puzzling to get to but there's a crossbow right next to a structure past the gate (as well as two more in other areas of the map in case you happen to miss that one). As a rule of thumb, if you ever find yourself down to the staff (or forced to use the untomed wand), you're missing a weapon or an ammo cache nearby.

At any rate, this is a map you're meant to run around in, a lot. The challenge comes from stirring up the waters as you forage for supplies, and the absolute least exciting (and probably most difficult given the lack of initial supplies) way to do it would be to try and carefully plod through each area before proceeding. In that way, it's much different from what most folks label a "slaughtermap", which wasn't the intent.

I'd like to see what you think of it after you've gotten past the weapon stuff -- I actually haven't gotten much feedback aside from "seems good" or "haven't finished it yet, but...", neither of which have led to any changes yet.

On a related note, one of the big reasons there's no crossbow at start though is to give the tomed wand some action, because it's awesome and never gets enough credit. :P

Gave it another whirl, knowing where the crossbow was, and here's my thoughts.

Still:

Add the crossbow right at the start. If not infront of your face, then just past the gates. When I enter the gates, there's a dozen directions in which to go, and only one of them leads me to the crossbow. I cannot stress to you enough how badly that crossbow needs to be sitting right past the gates. I appreciate the Tomepowered Wand action, and I dig it as much as you do, but there's still a way to put the crossbow in there to allow for some wand fun.

Lower the dragonclaw well. I'm not really interested in "working out" how to get to it when I've got 500 monsters on my ass. I'm constantly running around looking for more ammo, and there's pleeeeeenty of it for the dragonclaw, but not so much for either the wand or crossbow.

I like the map, but even after a second playthrough, by opinions haven't changed. There's too many enemies and there's no weapons to fight them with.

EvilNed said:

E1M9

I did loose my way, again, once I obtained the yellow key and walked into the yellow door and took the lift up, I was stranded. I could not get into the blue key door up ahead and I could not get the lift to go back down. So theres a warning for you, there's the possibility of being stuck up there with no escape.

yes, i am aware of that and i have already fixed it, i have send the fixed version to egregore.

I noclipped out of there and ran around looking for the blue key, or any way of advancing the level, but found none. Eventually, i strafe/ran onto the large landmass surrounding the fortress, where all the monsters where sniping at me, and I ran into a cave and the map exited. So maybe that is how the level is supposed to end? Or is that a bug, being able to jump across the lava like that?

i have fixed (hope for the last time) those leap of faith, i really hope this will not appen again, also fixed the elevator thing, really annoying for a player... the blue key can be reached from where the yellow key is, and the green key is really hidden, maybe too much, and i know that this will piss off a lot a players. i'll probably extend the balcony outside the windows to make it more easy to find if nobody is able to find it...

Feels a bit unfinished in places

you mean the outside area or?... eventually i can work on it.

So far, all maps from E1M6-E1M9 have lost me. I may have liked the map themselves, but due to them either being mazelike, like E1M6-E1M7 or due to them being too damn hard, like E1M8, or due to this here where I'm not sure if I maybe did the right thing or not, I simply haven't been able to finish the levels. I hate being stuck, as well, so if I have to give one point of criticism to these levels collectively it's this: make sure I, the player, can easily and without any form of abstract thought, get from A to B and from B to the exit. Heretic is an arcadey action game, with simply switch puzzles at best being what one should bring to it in level of complexity.

Also, I don't really like huge maps. And I like them even less when they have me running around trying to figure out what this or that switch did.

not sure if i can agree with you, this is more matter of tastes, i , for example, like huge leves that are a bit mazelike, i feel it add more that being only a shot-things gallery, where you pass on it in 2 minutes and forget about it, items in heretic have also a role in it, they can force you to go melee and to use crown control strategies to maximixe the bombs effects and such, one thing i may feel to blame the previous heretic community project was that: you go around and kill stuff in a Doom-like manner, without using any advantage of the heretic's arsenal.
on the other side i understand that anyone can get bored after a while of running around aimlessly trying to figure out what this or that switch did. this also appened to me 2 times in Doomad level, but i was so stunned by the architecture that i didn't got mad at him, also the second time was all my fault, since i didn't noticed that the swicth that lead to the blue key lowered the platform on my rigth :P. uh seems that i have to play them extensively, but rigth now i have so little time...

again thank you for playtesting all of them.

@EvilNed: Still sounds like you haven't been able to finish the map, since you're still stuck on the weapon issue. We're talking in circles, a bit.

For the Claw, seems like you're running into the Well one first and skipping the Fountain. Since the Fountain's already puzzle-y and by the time you get to the Well you've aggro'd pretty much the whole crowd, I'm fine with moving the switch that raises the steps to an obvious position so you can snag it if you run that far. That could help a bit, at any rate.

I'm probably not going to budge on the crossbow, though. Is the trouble literally only because it takes effort to find? You're given a competent weapon (albeit with a time limit) at the start, so it's not like running around with just a pistol like you'd be in a shotgunless Doom map. The intent is to get the player mobile, and there's multiple opportunities to snag the weapon (there are three crossbows, not just one) so it shouldn't rely on the player having pre-knowledge of the map.

Putting the crossbow immediately at the start would introduce a more severe problem: it'd completely ruin any incentive to actually run into the city, hence screwing up the gameplay intent. Instead, folks would just camp outside the gates and shoot at things forever and then conclude that the map is dull... or worse, they'd run out of ammo and immediately conclude that there's not enough without attempting to explore the place. :P

Plus, if there's a crossbow + tome, players will use the tomed crossbow, not the wand. :P

You may or may not take this constructive criticism to heart, but I've spoken my mind on the matter. I find your disregard for my comments rather arrogant and will thus refrain from commenting on your map any further. It's a nice map, but respect the fact that I died several times from lack of having an arsenal to fight the monsters with.

EvilNed01 said:

I find your disregard for my comments rather arrogant and will thus refrain from commenting on your map any further.

You're offended because I disagree with you? Okay, I guess.

Also, why are there two EvilNeds? :P

EvilNed01 said:

I find your disregard for my comments rather arrogant and will thus refrain from commenting on your map any further. It's a nice map, but respect the fact that I died several times from lack of having an arsenal to fight the monsters with.

The only person being arrogant here is you. If you bothered to read his post, he was open to making some changes. And just because you make a suggestion, doesn't mean he has to go through with it. That's behavior indicative of an entitled brat.

If you want people to take your feedback seriously, try being a bit more humble.

----

Anyways, Xaser, I've been playing through the alpha a bit lately and I wanted to give you some feedback on your map. The screenshots you posted recently really grabbed my interest :)

Firstly, I think you nailed the atmosphere! The cityscape is definitely something that brings me back to the original Heretic, and the scale you used here really drove home that general theme. Some of the outdoor areas felt just a tad bit dark though. It made hunting for items a bit more difficult than I would have liked.

I didn't have any issues navigating around, and the adventure aspect was wonderful. It's the kind of map I really enjoy! I was expecting the key logistics to be more non-linear just from the general setup of the map. But it is probably a good thing that the setup was linear, because that could introduce unnecessary confusion.

Also the difficulty is pretty high; the fact that the map is so large and open definitely plays into the difficulty. There is an initial difficulty hump while you try and find a Crossbow or a Dragon's Claw. After that things level out a bit, but I found the difficulty to stay pretty high. This is the last level in the episode (unless I'm mistaken) so I don't see any problem with this on the whole. However I do think there are a few things you might want to consider changing.

First off, I constantly found myself running out of ammo. Before I tackled finding any of the keys, I wanted to clear out the ground forces. It took me a few deaths to do this as I figured out the map. I would probably add a bunch more Wand crystals at the beginning for starters. I like the Wand+Tome start quite a lot, but I kept running out of ammo for it. I would also toss some more Claw ammo around too. It felt like there was plenty of ammo for the Hellstaff and the Phoenix Rod though, but that could be because I grabbed those a bit later on. Oh, and a Bag of Holding nearer to the beginning of the map would probably help as well (the only one I found was much later in the map, where it wasn't nearly as useful to me).

Health item balance felt pretty good, but it seemed like most of the inventory potions were farther out in the city. Maybe spread those out a bit more? It probably wouldn't hurt to add a few more around either.

The Dragon Claw on the water fountain was a bit confusing at first. I did find the switch, and it is nearby enough to sorta tell that lowers those walls. I would probably put that switch directly opposite, where the player can view the fountain while they hit the switch. That way, when they hit it, they can see exactly what it does.

I really liked the two mazes that pop up after you grab the ring/tome. My only suggestion there would be to have them lower again after the player exits them. It seemed like it would be really easy to have a Sabreclaw or two get stuck in them, making 100% kills a bit harder than it needs to be.

Is there a Firemace in this map? I found myself thinking on a couple of occasions that it might be a useful weapons, especially in some of the confined areas (many of the indoor areas). Plus, just having another weapon to fall back on, especially if your low on ammo for the workhorse weapons, would be nice I think.

Hmm, what else...oh, the cemetery where you can grab a Hellstaff. I really hated those damaging pits :P. They were a bit hard for me to see, and I couldn't see a way out of them. Also those Nitro Golems which overlook the two insta-mazes, those guys drove me crazy for about 90% of the map, heh. There aren't any great weapons in Heretic for dealing with monsters that are high-up and/or far away. It needed an equivalent of the Chaingun in Doom so I could snipe them :P

So the short version is: I love the visuals, the layout, and the general atmosphere! Gameplay was quite tough and required multiple attempts, but that is to be expected (especially for this type of map and where it resides in the roster). Ammo was a tad bit too tight for my tastes and health could probably be spread out a bit more.

Right, fuck it, i'm off. This is childish, and I agree I am being as much part of it as you guys. But I won't step down or retract my comments about what I think needs to be done. Also, I won't playtest anymore maps if this is the level we're gonna stoop too.

edit: Also, sorry for being a dick.

Hey everyone, here's some feedback:

MAP02: the map is VERY noticeably MUCH darker than the first one. It hurt my eyes and made me wanna increase the brightness level. In some places, like the battle with two ironliches after a jump from waterfall, you can't see stuff at all, and its almost impossible to avoid those gray hurricanes that liches throw.

It's not obvious what the last switch does (the one that opens the yellow key tower), and i've spent some time searching for the new opened door. Eventually i've concluded that the switch glitched and used noclip and fly to find the location of the yellow key, which was in the tower that i thought was purely cosmetic. I'd say that the side of the tower that is facing the courtyard should have been with a window, not with a cosmetic "RIP" tablet.

Not counting the darkness, I liked everything about this map: pretty, some great encounters, plenty of ammo.

MAP03:
This map lacks details, and there is a lot of misaligned textures and doorframes without support textures. The maze looks horrible, same for the room with walls that form weird symbol on the floor and blinking light (light is out of sync on the elevator). The entrance to the maze's secret is marked on the automap. I think there's no health anywhere in the maze. Considering that people often try to run to the maze's exit to not spend much time there, the absence of health might lead to a lot of reloads. Especially considering that in the end of that maze there was a huge ambush. Good thing i had 3 flasks. I also had a weird moment when i entered a room, "floor turned to lava" and i was teleported somewhere else where i "found a secret". Weird.

MAP04: What was the point of those flying monks in the cage? It's so easy to kill them, and they can't do shit about it. In fact, fights on this map are quite dull. The gargoyles in the tunnels at the beginning, badly placed (easily killed) monsters-turrets, way to many encounters where monsters appear from both front and back.

And what was the point of those one-way double doors to the blue key room? That was really annoying, considering all the lava running. Teleport in the room behind the green door sends the player right next to a bunch of high-tier melle enemies. I think they should've been idle. And why the ammo for the staff is everywhere?

This map took me almost 40 minutes, and all i can remember is walking and pressing switches. Man.

Map05: So, something like a a Heretic slaughter map? Very crude visuals, too many health items and even tomes of power, no-brain encounters. Giant row of health vials looks ridiculous.

Well, i don't have time for the rest of the alpha, so this is where i stop for now. I'd say that it's quite a successful project, and it will certainly bring more people to the Heretic's yard. It made me interested in Heretic, so that's plus 1 already.

Finally, while playing the game i've noticed that i don't remember what all those inventory items do, so i've made a new HELP1 screen, which you can use if you wish (thumbnail):

It's an uncompressed unconverted png file. I have the source, so if you need to fix something just tell me.

Harmata said:

Finally, while playing the game i've noticed that i don't remember what all those inventory items do, so i've made a new HELP1 screen, which you can use if you wish
*image*
I have the source, so if you need to fix something just PM me.

Few minor spelling bugs, "almost", "powerful", "enemy", but other than that it's great.

Fixed. Also enlarged the egg sprite to stand out more, expanded its description and changed contrast on some other sprites, for better looks.

Xaser said:

I never really intended it for an E1M8 slot anyway -- E1M7 is actually where I would've stuck it, personally, so that'd get my vote depending on DooMAD's input.

I'll see what I can come up with for a finalé then. I was thinking that the current ending of my level was a little abrupt and somewhat of an anticlimax.

just finished e1m8, done it after my 4°(or 5°?) attempt using 1 save in front of the blue key.

i got every time brutally crushed at the start, since until you have a bit more knowledge of the town you will be too much occupied to take care of all the monsters sniping at you to understand where are you, let me say that i passed near a crossbow almost 3 times before noticing it.

once a lot of monsters died, you can finally go to scavenge the weapons, and you suddenly realyze that some of them was really easy to take.

fun map, i was expecting at the end some other monsters to be teleported in that room, and i had only 12 health and a full loaded phoenix road as weapon.

favorites places: the central church and the secret area full of books. the whole map feel very connected, shame that i didn't managed to reach those nitro golems sniping from the instant-maze area.

note: at one certain point i felt like i was in some crazy japanese half-musical game where even walls shoot at you, good.

Oh, huh. I didn't know you were right on the verge of a release 2 -- I haven't sent my latest changes yet.

Egregor said:

Alpha 2 stuff

Oh, if I knew that alpha 2 was this close I would have updated my map much quicker.

Anyway, here is version 2 of my map.

AGHYMN V2

Changes:

-I removed the voodoo doll so the secret exit should work on every port.

-The monsters that are supposed to appear when you find the secret in the library actually appear now.

-Removed the stuck golems near the end of the map and placed gargoyles in their place.

-Added a little hint as to what the switch on the library actually does.

There are some issues with this new alpha v2 (it wouldn't be an alpha if there weren't :p) and I didn't communicate its release clear enough, so . . . an updated version is in the works. Xaser is tackling a very small port compatibility issue. An alpha v2b should be arriving within a day!

Just PM'd the fix of sorts for the reported issue. Be sure to update A.Gamma's map while you're at it. :P