Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Egregor

HYMN: Final Release, finally!

There's some minor progress on mine at the usual address:

http://www.teamhellspawn.com/adetic.zip

Now has some monsters teleporting in after the yellow key switch and a few cosmetic tweaks. Still plenty more to do, though. Hoping to have a big splurge of mapping activity over the weekend and through to wednesday.

Somebody didn't insert the new title pic as a raw file ;)

Heretic's title pic needs to be in raw format for vanilla Heretic and some ports.

More progress. I've altered the yellow key switch so it's facing out toward the courtyard and you can see the walls/walkways rising up, as per EvilNed's suggestion. Also made a new finalé area.

Still lots of visual and balance related bits to sort out. I think I've also bugged the Maulotaur fight as he keeps feeling suicidal and jumping down into the new ravine, so need to sort that out. Hopefully in the process it'll make it a little less easy for the player to fall in too, heh.

http://www.teamhellspawn.com/adetic.zip

Vermil said:

Heretic's title pic needs to be in raw format for vanilla Heretic and some ports.

Oh hmm, that's weird. Never realized Heretic/Hexen did this differently than Doom for some reason. Just a couple of clicks in SLADE3 to fix though, luckily. :P

My computer temporarily does not have an internet connection. I am writing this from work. Because of this don't expect me to make any changes or updates for at least a week. On that note, thank you Xaser for providing the DWmegawad club with Alpha 2C. At this point I'd like to save all further updates for the Beta release (that way there will actually be a reason to release a Beta).

There has been lots of support for this project and I am very pleased with the progress that everyone has been putting forth! Right now there is a soft deadline of June 1st for updated levels but as so much beta testing is currently in progress this deadline is feeling rushed, even for me. Would it be more realistic to push the beta map submission deadline back to July 1st?

Personal opinion is that if one has to change the intermission music and use Warcraft 2 music, that the Orc Victory track might be better.

From the same playlist:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmKda13coHo&list=PLB3A7E796FFE2B3C5

But maybe that's because it playing while the counters are counting up is engrained in my head from when I use to play WC2 extensively, even if Heretic's counters don't count up like Doom or WC2...

Personally, I don't think changing the intermission music is needed, unless all the level music is changed and follows a theme (i.e that every level used WC2 music).

speaking of music changes... i propose to change the music for e1m9 since it is really annoying at the moment, unfortunatly i still don't know what the replacement could be...

got an update for my map as well, since mediafire seems to do not work today, i will post it tomorrow. i hope those changes will make it playable...

IRC Egregor once mentioned that if people where okay with it, he could change the music for any level that did not have custom music.

As for sources, he proposed Ultima VIII, I personally used music from Dungeon Master 2.

Here's the latest version with more colour-coding and visual cues. Should hopefully be less confusing now, although I can't really change the layout without starting from scratch, so I think this is as good as it gets: http://www.teamhellspawn.com/adetic.zip

Still needs more visual fixes, though. Particularly in the blue key area and finalé. That's next on the todo list.

//EDIT: Updated again. Blue key area pretty much done, now just the finalé and other odd tweaks and fixes.

Quick question before I completely screw up my map, what's the compatibility level we're aiming for regarding infinitely tall sprites? I've been adding Stalactites to the map not considering whether or not they'll be blocking player movement.

Vermil said:

Vanilla Heretic doesn't have infintely tall sprites like Doom ;)

Fantastic, cheers.

//EDIT:

Right, hopefully that's done - nope

//DOUBLE EDIT:

Fixed some bugs from using an outdated texture pack. Any more errors, let me know.

//FINAL EDIT:

Sneaking in before the deadline with one last update. Added some more monsters and fixed a few texture bugs as per feedback: final version: http://www.teamhellspawn.com/surrexit.zip - 6th June 2013

Lets push back the beta deadline from June 1st to July 1st. I see no reason to crunch the deadline when the DWmegawad club still has an active thread http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/64238-the-dwmegawad-club-plays-hymn/. I have been pretty 'distracted' from doom (and heretic) as of late, and haven't really worked on the project for a few weeks. Hopefully another month will give us all (including myself) enough time make that final push and polish everything off so we can all feel satisfied with this process. How do the rest of you feel about moving back the deadline another month?

it would be great, since i did't had time to fix anything since the last update, i was too busy with university stuff....

It's been about a month but I believe I now have all the final versions of the HYMN maps. I will begin compiling them. There will also be Doomsday support in the Beta provided by Vermil (thanks!). Expect a Beta version here in the next week or so!

EDIT: well that didn't take long. Let me know if there is anything I missed so it can be included before it goes to the archive, which should happen in about two weeks.

EvilNed said:

Whoops.

I'm not sure you have the latest version of my Map. Bugfixes only.

Okay. Ya, I kind of jumped the deadline, so I apologize for that. Just make sure to get it to me soon, within the next two weeks.

well, i feel that my map is far from being completed, there are a lot of stuff to fix to make it a good one... anyway i have no time to do these changes, so go ahead :\

Sorry, I really don't know what I'm doing wrong. I get the following message when I try to load the WAD with ZDoom:

Script error, "GAMEINFO" line 3:
Expected identifier but got string constant "HYMN: A Heretic Community Project" instead.

Beta (v2) Release
http://www.mediafire.com/download/kgd5mtetjxsb4h7/HYMN_BV2.wad

What's new?
V1:
-M7 and M8 spot switch
-new M8 episode finale!
-M2, M4, and M5 have all been edited and rebalanced
-Doomsday map defs provided by Vermil but improperly added by Egregor
V2:
-Doomsday map defs fixed by Vermil. Thanks again!

Unless someone asks for more time to make a last minute addition or alteration this will be the final version that is added to /idgames.

Does the lack of activity mean we've squashed all the bugs, or just that everyone's stopped looking? Heh.

DooMAD said:

Does the lack of activity mean we've squashed all the bugs, or just that everyone's stopped looking? Heh.

Nah. There is probably a few lingering bugs, but it won't crash and its playable. At the risk of this project losing all momentum I've gone ahead and submitted it to /idgames, though that was two days ago and I don't see it anywhere there. It may have been rejected because it included a separate .wad and .txt for the textures alone. So it was 2 wads and two text files. If so I'll submit it again tomorrow without the texture pack.

Damn! I just sent you the final version of my map (finally), too! Though, I know I took my sweet time to do so. Though, I noticed that the beta has a really early (first version) of the map loaded which is odd because I definitely submitted an updated version at one point that actually made into an alpha 3 that Xaser posted a while ago. The differences between what I wanted for the final version and that version were pretty minimal, so I kinda backburnered it cause I figured you had that version.