Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
C30N9

If Doom 2 had another boss

What would it look like in your opinion?

While you were playing the game, before you reached the last map, what were your predictions? A Cyber Mastermind? A huge robot?...

I don't know who at Id thought a wall texture would make a cool final boss, but I'd love to travel back in time to the early 90's and tell him what an inconceivably lame idea it was.

You could argue that PSX Doom(2)'s final map was a little anti-climactic, but it was far more satisfying than defeating the Icon of Sin.

It's hard to picture anything other than a huge wall as Doom 2's final boss. Perceiving it in sprite form comes across even more difficult.

I suppose they could've created something (if not for time constraints or whatever the circumstance) that resembled the cyberdemon, only a little bit larger and perhaps used the icon of sins head, but obviously scaled down, not to scale to the wall, that'll look pretty hilarious.

it could've used the same animation as the arch-vile attack or something just as similar, but used to spawn enemies on the spot instead.

If Doom 2 had another boss, it'd be a "Cybervile" in my opinion.

Fast as an Archvile, as tough/tall as a Cyberdemon, has the attacks of both and can resurrect enemies.

Suitepee said:

If Doom 2 had another boss, it'd be a "Cybervile" in my opinion.

Fast as an Archvile, as tough/tall as a Cyberdemon, has the attacks of both and can resurrect enemies.

And spawns several boss cubes in delayed batches, so there's always enough enemies to resurrect. Yeah... Someone needs to make it.

I was already spoiled by the "Official" DOOM FAQ that there'll be a demon face/brain to shoot. Anyway, I expected it to be a mere defenceless prop, of the same size as the MARBFACE cubes, with more symbolism than challenge.

Alternatively, I'd like the boss to be the same "Icon of Sin", but with legs and arms. It would require something like the Doom 3 engine, though, due to how giant it would be.

A voodoo doll. The quip "come at me, bro" springs immediately to mind.

It's a commentary on violence as a means and eventual end, because I'm just that deep.

Technician said:

Giant dildo.

Commentary on the psycho-sexual sadistic component of male perpetrated, militarily justified violence. I like it.

schwerpunk said:

A voodoo doll. The quip "come at me, bro" springs immediately to mind. It's a commentary on violence as a means and eventual end, because I'm just that deep.

See Andy's Wad map09.

PLOT TWIST - You've been drugged into hallucinating the entire hell-on-earth ordeal. Demons are monsters and the architecture are areas around earth. Your last mission is some top-secret assassination of the highest "demon," aka yourself and suicide ala mindfuck.

lil white mouse did this freakishly awesome alien boss thing. Can't remember what it was called, but there were lots of marines shooting at it. Perhaps a retooled version that could be fought by a single player would make an awesome boss.

Or more simply, just a standard monster like many off the bestiary. Big, tough and with a few nasty attacks.

BloodyAcid said:

PLOT TWIST - You've been drugged into hallucinating the entire hell-on-earth ordeal. Demons are monsters and the architecture are areas around earth. Your last mission is some top-secret assassination of the highest "demon," aka yourself and suicide ala mindfuck.

reminds me of the ending of a certain military shooter that came out not long ago. I would actually love it if a WAD ended in this way.

I'd settle for cyberdemon torso grafted onto spidermastermind legs

or cyber mastermind if you will

I wonder if decorate can allow a monster to fire two different types of projectiles at once.

Avoozl said:

I wonder if decorate can allow a monster to fire two different types of projectiles at once.

I think I've seen decorate monsters that fire up to three kinds of ammunition at once. And the Cyber mastermind on R667 I believe fires bullets and rockets at the same time.

Mr. Freeze said:

Plutonia 2's Gatekeeper was what the Icon of Sin should've been.

Plutonia 2? gatekepper? Whats that?

As for Doom 2 boss monster, I was not sure what to expect, but it was definitely not a shooting wall! Still, it was so different to other monsters, I mean you almost expect it to be big and mean as its a boss dude, but when its a wall it totally creeps you out!

Gez said:

Plutonia 2 gatewatcher (not gatekeeper).

Sweet!

Didnt now anything about that!

Will have to check that out. Whats the best way to run it? Im guessing Chocolate Doom, though I would love to play it in Doomsday.

If Doom2's boss were replaced with a standard moving monster:

It would have to have say 8000 hit points. Since it would have to top the existing bad guys hit points by a notable amount.

In Vanilla sprites can't be much taller than the Spider or Cyber Demon IIRC and the Spider Demon was already too wide for parts of the engine (it goes over the blockmap limit). So, visually, it wouldn't look much bigger than what the player has already faced.

The typical Doom bad guy has one ranged, largely straight forward, missile attack and/or one melee attack. Let's assume that remains true for a theoretical new boss (that ID would never do something like the multiple attacks of Heretic and HeXen's bosses).

Therefore, would the end result be fun?

Vermil said:

If Doom2's boss were replaced with a standard moving monster:

It would have to have say 8000 hit points. Since it would have to top the existing bad guys hit points by a notable amount.

In Vanilla sprites can't be much taller than the Spider or Cyber Demon IIRC and the Spider Demon was already too wide for parts of the engine (it goes over the blockmap limit). So, visually, it wouldn't look much bigger than what the player has already faced.

The typical Doom bad guy has one ranged, largely straight forward, missile attack and/or one melee attack. Let's assume that remains true for a theoretical new boss (that ID would never do something like the multiple attacks of Heretic and HeXen's bosses).

Therefore, would the end result be fun?

Well it could fire a BFG shot, the charge up would give you warning and give you enough time to hide behind a wall to miss being fragged all over the place. Thats one shot, as for melee....well if you are dumb enough to get too close its instant gibbage!

Would be fun if its BFG shot also killed demons, could use that to your advantage.

Doom should be hard core enough for people to handle dodging BFG shots, unlike other hand holding FPS....cod *cough*