Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nkchri2

Tapwave Doom

I picked up a copy of the Tapwave Doom for a pretty good price recently. It's in great shape with the case and manual. But the sticker on the card is pretty noticeably crooked like it was just sloppily put on by hand.

Is anyone elses copy around here like this? Was there a human at the end of the assembly line putting stickers on all the cards by hand lol? I don't know why anyone would take the time to counterfeit an old not very desirable tapwave game so I don't think that's the case... >.<

Damn, the obscure Tapwave port (I assume you mean Doom II). I don't read much about this version, really. Ledmeister has a copy, actually.

Yep I do mean Doom 2... I always found it funny that Doom 2 was so popular but the only actual full Doom 2 ports were on obscure platforms like Tapwave, Pocket PCs and handhelds.

Edit: Xbox Live Arcade and Xbox additions don't count = P
Just no other platforms during the main lifecycle

Yeah, I see what you mean; it's pretty nuts. But think about it. If you're limiting down to the earlier years of Doom/Doom II, most if not all of Doom's ports had it worse. Doom II didn't do too bad. GBA Doom II at least had all the levels and pretty much "everything", despite being on another engine.

I wouldn't discount there being counterfeit copies of this thing, as unlikely as it is. Perhaps just quirky manufacturing :P But you'd be surprised what kind of crazt shit you can find "under the table". I remember an NES clone with its shell mimicking the XBox.

In a print shop, such labels are put on by a machine that gets them off of a roll, transfers them to a rubber belt (sticky side out), and then by sheer timing, advances the rubber belt to put them on whatever is on the conveyor. It is not great at keeping the labels nicely aligned, as they can slip on the rubber belt.

Most label stickers are not even that sophisticated. The simple kind run the label tape around a small roller where the leading edge of the sticker detaches (90% of the time). It stops the tape so that this sticky edge is down near whatever is on the conveyor.
A thing coming down the conveyor touches the sticky side of the label, and this peels the label off the tape.
Many times it is the operator.
Along the conveyor is another roller that presses the label down more firmly.
Often the box is not aligned square on the conveyor either.