Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Amaster

Brilliantly devious

Just saw this story on the news. Apparently, the makers of Kazaa (the mp3 sharing program) was making money by using the computers of users that were hooked up to their network to power the networks of other clients. According to the report, these other clients would use each of our personal PC's for temporary file storage and processing power. I never used Kazaa myself but I did use Morpheus (which runs on the same network) I wonder if this applies to Morpheus also.

Just thought it was interesting.
(BTW, the new post icons are very nice)

The company that distribute the software Morpheus/Kazaa/Grokster run on had the three pack spyware with it. I believe the reason Morpheus got canned was because the guys who made it refused to pack the spyware with it.

Hmmm...thats odd, I just downloaded an update for Morpheus a couple days ago.

Bah. It seems everything these days has some kind of spyware in it. I'm too paranoid to download anything now :/

Just get the free version of ZoneAlarm. Install it, and forget about spyware. There's also lots of good freeware antivirus programs around too. Use one.

Firewall + AV programs will take care of every security/privacy threat except a concentrated direct attack by a knowlegable and determined hacker.

I can get rid of KaZaa and morpheus permanently. all I need is a towel and a hammer.

Fuck ZoneAlarm, my four year old cousin could break it up. Get AdAware and never touch ANYTHING that requires you to install any app that sports a friendly looking alligator on the front. Remember, alligators eat people, Gator eats your machine. Simple mnemonic devices to keep shit off your machine.

DC

Doom-Child said:

Fuck ZoneAlarm, my four year old cousin could break it up. Get AdAware and never touch ANYTHING that requires you to install any app that sports a friendly looking alligator on the front. Remember, alligators eat people, Gator eats your machine. Simple mnemonic devices to keep shit off your machine.

DC

And for all those guys who frequent Astalavista, never, EVER install anything related to LOP.

Fuck ZoneAlarm, my four year old cousin could break it up.

How could your four year old cousin break it up? How could your four year old cousin break up any of the available software firewalls out there. I seriously doubt you would even know where to start :P

Why oh why do seemingly intelligent people say such stupid, stupid things on these forums.

stphrz said:
Why oh why do seemingly intelligent people say such stupid, stupid things on these forums. [/B]

Seemingly intelligent people? On Doomworld? WHERE??!?!!?

Heh, even store bought music CD's aren't safe anymore. If you try to play the new Celine Dion CD in your computer it'll lock your system up. My friends are always getting stuff like Kazzaa and then crying when their comp gets all fucked up. I mean seriously, why would you trust anything you got off the net? You'd be safer having unprotected sex with a dead hooker.

Rellik said:

If you try to play the new Celine Dion CD in your computer it'll lock your system up.

Why would anybody listen to that creature? :p

Doom Dude said:

Why would anybody listen to that creature? :p

Sez a guy who likes Shania Twain. LOL =)

Rellik said:

Heh, even store bought music CD's aren't safe anymore. If you try to play the new Celine Dion CD in your computer it'll lock your system up.

THERE IS A GOD AFTER ALL!!

Biffy said:

This is a hoax, I smell it a mile away. It is technical nonsense.

I have heard of such software which does what he says. In fact, I think there is a government-oriented one, some organization is/was trying to do molecular-level calculations and didn't have the PC power, so they had an app that you could run in your spare time on your PC which would connect with theirs and help with the calculation process.

It's not surprising to see things like this in other popular software like filesharing apps.

The KaZaA one they mention, Brilliant something or other, does exist, and it is installed alongside Morpheus as well, at last check.

This is why I treat anything that comes on to my computer as a quarantined item. Nothing of the sort, Morpheus, KaZaA, or whatever, will make it on to my installation.

Even if you don't use the Ad Aware software, do read their site for the spyware advisories.

This AD-Aware, does it have to run in your system tray all the time like an antivirus or firewall program to be effective?

Lüt said:

I have heard of such software which does what he says. In fact, I think there is a government-oriented one, some organization is/was trying to do molecular-level calculations and didn't have the PC power, so they had an app that you could run in your spare time on your PC which would connect with theirs and help with the calculation process.

It's not surprising to see things like this in other popular software like filesharing apps.

That's United Devices, but the CPU usage is obvious. You just can't hide that from XP's Task Manager or any other benchmarking tool.

stphrz said:

This AD-Aware, does it have to run in your system tray all the time like an antivirus or firewall program to be effective?

Nah, I use it, you just install it and run it after you install something questionable, it'll sniff out spyware for ya and remove it.

what's the big deal with spy ware anyway? I hear everyone bitching and moaning "0h gn0 /m3 g07 5pyw4r3!!". How will spyware affect you in the first place?

Bloatware, scans stuff from your RAM and/or HD. Steals precious CPU cycles and HD's access rate.

Zaldron said:

Bloatware, scans stuff from your RAM and/or HD. Steals precious CPU cycles and HD's access rate.

let it, the sooner this pc dies the sooner I have a reason to get a new one.

Well, there are those of us who actually want our decent PCs to stay that way.

Still, I wouldn't trash or get rid of a PC, there's always some good use for having 2 or more of them.

I don't know the only things thare are good in this pc and worthwhile to save are the: soundblaster live, 2 hard drives, and cd-rw. The rest is just a 56k modem, voodoo3, 128 ram, and other pc junk.

it's a little aged... won't run max payne as fast as I would want it to, and it definaltly won't run doom3. Besides this is an XP machine anyway.

Dosen't XP require a video card with 32MB of memory? Or does it just bitch if you don't and run anyway? :P

stphrz said:

Dosen't XP require a video card with 32MB of memory? Or does it just bitch if you don't and run anyway? :P

neither, works great with no errors, all eye candy is on except the transperent select because that really slows my pc down for some rason.