Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Antroid

Antroid's Doom LPs - currently between projects

Hey man, how goes it?

You're the guy that got me into LPing.

I still try to do it occasionally, but fuck if I'm not insanely busy all the time now :(

Hey! Guess which thread lives again!

That's right, we finally got around to starting this baby. I've been looking forward to playing D2TWiD since before the first ever thread for it was even created, and somewhere along the way our very own Alfonzo offered to guest in my videos, an opportunity which I frankly could not miss and so this Let's Play was born.

This saturday we sat down and recorded over three hours of footage, but because I am a PHENOMENALLY slow player, especially when I talk while playing, during these three hours we made it only through the first 11 maps :>

I cut the session onto seven half-hour parts and will be releasing them every day one by one.

Notes on the content and commentary: if you're looking for detailed opinions on any of the specific maps we've played thus far, you might have to wait a bit. I started off making observations about them, but we were quickly and strongly sidetracked into talking about all sorts of general stuff: the project itself, the Doom mapping community, etcetera. And, to some viewers' inevidable frustration, talking so much meant that my navigation through the maps was about as good as if I was playing blindfolded. I'll try to do better next session, I promise! (And yes, I know I say this every time).

Anyways, before our next session I will replay these 11 maps on my own at some point and give more detailed and specific opinions on them. Maybe in the thread, maybe in the next videos, I haven't really decided yet.

eargosedown said:

Hey man, how goes it?

You're the guy that got me into LPing.

I still try to do it occasionally, but fuck if I'm not insanely busy all the time now :(

Oh crap, I totally didn't notice it when you posted here :[ I guess the thead just sunk back so quickly and I didn't check the forums often enough. Well, I'm fine :)

As someone who hates DOOM II maps I don't find this megawad exciting at all. I've once tried to play it and got bored by map16.

Ah yes, I approve heartily of the stonegarg backing!

This continues to be a very enjoyable exercise, and I look forward to watching Antroid traipse through episode 2 and 3 for the next billion hours. If there's any aspect of discussion about development, goals and so forth that it seems we may have missed, it's probably because I'm pacing myself. There's so much to talk about here it's practically spilling out of my eyes.

Touchdown said:

As someone who hates DOOM II maps I don't find this megawad exciting at all. I've once tried to play it and got bored by map16.

Mission success!

Yeah, and despite my intention to try and play faster next session, I think we'll still be going pretty slow just because there is so much to discuss in this thing. For example, I decided that we'll start next time (so after these seven first parts...) with a short review of the 11 maps behind us which I'll come up with during the week. Just rewatching this session during editing I already have more things to say about individual maps and the wad on the whole so far. So eventually you might hear me actually talk almost as much as Alfonzo does, for better or for worse!

Piper Maru said:

I prefer having milk in my coffee!

Then you will be safe when I unleash nucular destruction upon everyone I disagree with, friend!

Aaaand here we have one more.

You thought all those screenshots of people lying dead on top of medkits were great? Well, think again.

Entertaining. Why don't you upload all of the parts at once?
And.. what is the reason of putting up full hd resolution when you play the zdoom in low resolution? :D ..there is nothing else than zdoom on the screen. Is that just some wicked joke?
Also you could use mouselook, it was avaliable at that time (1994) and vanilla engine supports it.

Sokoro said:

Entertaining. Why don't you upload all of the parts at once?
And.. what is the reason of putting up full hd resolution when you play the zdoom in low resolution? :D ..there is nothing else than zdoom on the screen. Is that just some wicked joke?
Also you could use mouselook, it was avaliable at that time (1994) and vanilla engine supports it.

Thanks!
Well... I don't want to upload all at once because then there'll be nothing new for a whole week. I find rationing videos like this is better for most people. Besides, I don't really have the time to do it all at once.

The resolution thing is just for fun. I usually don't even make 1080p videos, but I decided that recording in 320x240 and rendering it in 1080p would be funny. Plus, you do have to up the resolution a bit so that it doesn't become a blurry mess after Youtube's done with it. Might as well go all out!

Finally concerning mouselook - it's just that using it always feels more "modern" to me because for the longest time my only doom was the SNES one, without any mouselook obviously. It's most of all for my own sake, not for any sort of authenticity - I just find it brings the nostalgia out better if I don't use mouselook.

schwerpunk said:

Personally, I'm enjoying the lo-res/hi-res setup. Makes everything look very crisp!

Indeed! Crispy, delicious pixels :3

Speaking of,

I won't delay the last part a full day, unless of course it gets stuck in processing on the tube and I have to reupload it... But it should be done over the night.

Edit: Actually, it's already done!

This concludes our first recording. We'll try and record more on the weekend again.

Glad to see you're still alive! The 157 minutes of nonstop Doomin' for the 20th anniversary was so much for me that I stop for some months.

Also, you were quicker than me because back in the day, I wanted to start it but I screwed the voice up...nevermind, I take D2INO for myself.

Katamori said:

I take D2INO for myself.

hipp0cat's also gonna be doing D2INO, hopefully. Even if I don't guest in his videos (apart from when he plays my maps at which point I definitely want to guest), I think I'll still post them in this thread. Although I'll have to ask his permission first.

schwerpunk said:

More, more, more! I am never satisfied.

We have recorded more on Sunday, although it's a bit less than the first session. I just didn't get around to editing it yesterday. The new parts will start coming out in the next 24 hours, unless I just collapse after work and don't manage to edit+render+upload.

Now this here part is a bit different. As I said I would, I played the first 11 levels on my own during last week and gathered my thoughts a bit better, so we started this session off with a recap of those. Essentially I just kinda noclip through the first 11 maps randomly while talking more about what I think of them, and of course Alfonzo also participates in this discussion. If you wanna strictly watch me actually play new maps than you might consider skipping this one, but Alfonzo does actually go on long tangents again (as if I could ever keep him from doing so), and so there is interesting stuff to find in this episode even if you aren't one of the map authors looking desperately for more feedback on them.

Rest assured though, the rest of this week I'll be uploading parts like last time, there's four this time and they're all roughly 30 minutes each again. We made much less progress because these city maps were dark as shit and also confusing as I slowly abandoned my newfound tactic of remembering where locked doors are, so we only got to the secret maps and through them both before I decided to call it a session.

Yey!

Anyway, mostly posting here to remind/shame myself into posting some thoughts later. Would be nice to get some more discussion going.

So far I agree with most of your observations, esp. in regards to the whole feels-like-Doom2, but doesn't look-like-Doom2 in some parts. For his part, I think the excommunicated alfonzo does a good job taking these criticisms in stride, although I wish he'd respond a bit more directly.

schwerpunk said:

Would be nice to get some more discussion going.

YES

schwerpunk said:

For his part, I think the excommunicated alfonzo does a good job taking these criticisms in stride, although I wish he'd respond a bit more directly.

Hm, well he isn't really in the position to directly respond most of the time: the maps are made by different people and I guess sometimes the most he can say is explain why something is actually plausible as a doom2ism or why even though something isn't, it still got through their policies. Personally, I'm just enjoying extended periods of not having to talk when he goes on tangents, not to mention that they're interesting :D

Really enjoying these Antroid. You make a good duo. I'm going to listen to 2-0 tonight

I'm not very familiar from MAP12 myself so I think I might play along too so I don't spoil any surprises.

Also, mine and Tarnsman's MAP08: definitely the ugliest level so far!

purist said:

Also, mine and Tarnsman's MAP08: definitely the ugliest level so far!

Have you seen MAP09? Map08's downright pretty compared to most of that. Which is to say, "mission accomplished" since that's supposed to be Sandy's map.

I think, that you can see secret messages in console, so you can open console to let Alfonzo read the whole message.

Sokoro said:

I think that, you can see secret messages in console, so you can open console to let Alfonzo read the whole message.

But where's the fun in that?

^ srsly
---

After watching 2-0: I have to agree* with you in regards to the complexity and sophistication of the levels played through so far (although looking back, I don't think D1TWID did much better). Looking at some of the setpieces, they're very well designed. In fact, there are very few cases of 'bad design.' Maybe the infertile Pain Elementals... no, but even that felt like it was included for endearment, rather than laziness/deadlines.

One thing I will compliment though, is the length of the levels so far. They feel appropriately short. Usually in a project like this, every mapper wants to ma--actually, it just occurred to me that you already made this point, so nvm.

* I feel like I'm agreeing with Antroid too much, so let me just state for the record that I love bold, black coffee. Like, three times the regular amount of grounds one would normally put for a cup of coffee. My thinking is, the first sip should cause me to physically recoil, or at least wince, slightly. I am Grey Fox and coffee is my Solid Snake.

schwerpunk said:

I feel like I'm agreeing with Antroid too much

Don't worry, I don't think that's punishable... yet.

schwerpunk said:

^ srsly
---

After watching 2-0: I have to agree* with you in regards to the complexity and sophistication of the levels played through so far (although looking back, I don't think D1TWID did much better). Looking at some of the setpieces, they're very well designed. In fact, there are very few cases of 'bad design.' Maybe the infertile Pain Elementals... no, but even that felt like it was included for endearment, rather than laziness/deadlines.

No the mantra of shitty design for D2TWID was entirely done based on laziness. The process basically went "find something broken" then immediately declare "leave it in" and move on.