Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CorSair

Air's getting colder, or so they say

Great, Scotland, the only place that would welcome global warming gets excluded from getting better weather, so I'm guessing we'd get the worst of this :( At least we would be able to cope with it, though our public transport would be crippled (wee bit of rain and wind can cripple it).

Oh cool, a Daily Mail link. It's always nice to know ahead of time that what I may read next will be a bunch of bullshit.

Well the article was a little better than I expected. It is true that the globe goes through spells of warmer and cooler weather naturally, and solar activity has been low for the past few years.
From experience the winters since about 2008 have all pretty much been colder than we are used to, that's after every winter I've experienced in my lifetime have pretty much been warmer than usual.
Echoing DD thoughts, March was actually colder than every winter month this year. Especially living next to the North sea which could be used as an effective alternative refrigeration source.

Scottland89 said:

Great, Scotland, the only place that would welcome global warming gets excluded from getting better weather, so I'm guessing we'd get the worst of this :(

So far this year in the North east of Scotland, I have been snowed, hailed and sleeted on every month up to and including April. I got some sleet and hail yesterday so I'm just waiting for some snow and that will be almost half a year where those three types of wintry weather were possible.

The last three "summers" have been shit here. They promised us global warming dammit! :P

Well the autumn was hot most of the time here, finally it's starting to get cold on the last month of autumn.

The UK is always cold and misses out on nice weather.....well we do in the South-West :(

Guess this just means even colder and miserable weather......which this year pretty much has been so far.

I even had to turn the bunny into a house bunny as she kept freezing her bunny-butt off. I was hoping she would have sat on our laps and kept us warm, but instead she stamps her foot all the time demanding food and shits ALOT!

Lots to look forward to then!

bcwood16 said:

The UK is always cold and misses out on nice weather.....well we do in the South-West

Where are you exactly? Sky is nearly cloudless at the moment. It's been generally good for nearly a week now :P

Plymouth area.

Yes its ok ATM, but generally its been pretty bad this year so far. Admittedly this week has been warmer. The wind can be pretty chilly though.

We seem to be getting less and less sun each year.

[This is now a thread in which the British stereotypically talk about the weather]

Pretty good in Shropshire at the moment. Though last month we had an appreciable blanket of snow which lasted for a couple of weeks. For us, that's the making of a "harsh" winter.

DoomUK said:

[This is now a thread in which the British stereotypically talk about the weather]

Lols, of all the stereotypes other nations give us, this one is definitely the one which is true, ok maybe drinking tea as well (on that note......)
Sunny and cold in Norfolk (AKA Gateway to hell Eris :P)

cannonball said:

(AKA Gateway to hell Eris :P)

Sunny and warm in the arsehole. I'm even deeper into it than bcwood :D Not sure I want to know where that heat is coming from.

(on that note, back to the MegaWAD club)

FTFY.

DoomUK said:

Though last month we had an appreciable blanket of snow which lasted for a couple of weeks. For us, that's the making of a "harsh" winter.

Have you seen this?

Being in the south-west, where the only snow this winter melted within about 4 hours of it falling, I found it hilarious.

Eris Falling said:

Sunny and warm in the arsehole. I'm even deeper into it than bcwood :D Not sure I want to know where that heat is coming from.

Interpret this as you wish :P

I feel it's necessary to post this so people actually understand the whole arsehole/gateway thing. Can't even remember why I did this now.

Cannonball said:

University gave me a dirty mind

We all saw it, don't hide it >_>

Spoiler

I got ruined by a girlfriend. She's a friend who's a girl. Sadly. This also belongs in blogs.

Eris Falling said:

Where are you exactly? Sky is nearly cloudless at the moment. It's been generally good for nearly a week now :P

I actually thought that we were going to get a nice day today. But no, it clouded over by 10 a.m. and I just got rained on as I walked the dog. Wind currently blowing at about 20mph and temperature 4.5 degrees C and dropping.

Well I'll just gladly say that I'm quite enjoying the 9PM 12°C temperatures right now. Sky is still cloudless :P

Don't worry, I won't be laughing when the obligatory 2+ weeks of rain comes as a result of this.

Enjay said:

They promised us global warming dammit! :P

Global warming isn't uniform warming. In fact it can even lead to colder climate in some places. Western Europe is warmer than it should be from its latitude alone, thanks to the warm waters of the gulf stream acting as a big radiator; if that stream moves a bit Europe could get much colder despite the average worldwide-and-yearlong temperature being a few degrees higher.

CorSair said:

So, some Russian scientists say that little ice age comes around 2030 to 2040, according to news. They say Earth had that period about 200 years ago. This upcoming period is less harsh.

Is there a report on this that's not from the Daily Mail? No way am I going to click that link.

Idk what's going on with the weather, but I hope these god damn allergies end. I hate plants now; I have become a big supporter of worldwide desertification.

Kontra Kommando said:

I hate plants now

I hear you. The moment things start blooming, I sneeze uncontrollably. The medication for it makes me drowsy and irritable.

Eris Falling said:

[img]

Needs more red and/or brown spots in various areas of the West Midlands.

Enjay said:

They promised us global warming dammit! :P

I wouldn't mind a bit of global warming either, unfortunately it looks like we'll have to make do with climate change.

Continuing the 'weather in Scotland theme':

It's bloody miserable today in Fife!

I think snow melted away earlier previous year, but it was still pretty cold and windy summer.

Gez said:

Global warming isn't uniform warming. In fact it can even lead to colder climate in some places. Western Europe is warmer than it should be from its latitude alone

London is 51 degrees N, Grand Forks is not quite 48 degrees N. Record low for London in January (according to Wikipedia) is -10 (average is 37) while Grand Forks is -43 (average is -19.5). Those fine people in the UK should be happy they are in a maritime climate, we're freezing our balls off in continental! Just thought I would share that comparison.

DoOmEr4LiFe said:

Those fine people in the UK should be happy they are in a maritime climate

We're British, we're supposed to moan ;)

GreyGhost said:

I wouldn't mind a bit of global warming either, unfortunately it looks like we'll have to make do with climate change.

Hehe, yeah. I think that one of the reasons that they have moved away from calling it global warming is that a lot of people from certain countries (UK included) quite like the sound of global warming. Climate change is, of course, a more accurate term.