Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Laimiz

zdaemon problem

hey, suddenly i've made a zdaemon server. we have got a lan here as you may know, so it somehow doesn't appear at the master servers list :(, i wonder why :/. anyways, i went to zdaemon.exe and typed "connect vytautas" (that's my cpu's name :) ). but then i just crash and it throws me out! i look at the dos console and it is:

192.168.2.6:10667 connection.
(SPEC) SWAMPY has connected.
(SPEC) client SWAMPY disconnected
(SPEC) HUGO timed out
192.168.2.3:10667 connection.
(SPEC) HUGO has connected.
(SPEC) HUGO timed out

swampy is me here, hugo is my lan pal :). how come he times out and i crash? we both type "connect vytautas"... that's hella strange.

is there a way to do a normal game on lan on zdaemon??? :(

I know zdaemon works on a LAN, I've done it. But, I don't remember connecting using the computers "name". When running a server on computer one, and also playing on computer one, I would type "connect localhost". The other computer would use my IP address. But, from your console log, it appears that computer 2 does see computer one.
Um, you do have the tcp/ip protocol installed on both computers, right? I'd guess that whatever the problem is, it's related to the serving machine, if you cannot connect to the server by running the zdaemon client on the same machine (connect localhost). Get that sorted out first. If you are out of ideas, delete the zdoom.cfg file and restart the server and client.
Um, you have read the zserver.cfg file and set cfg_activated "1" ?

Laimiz said:

hey, suddenly i've made a zdaemon server.

You got farther than I ever have :P

i typed "connect localhost" and it was da same!

look at my zserver.cfg!

set cfg_activated "1"
set hostname "Lithuanian LAN"
set master "1"
set motd "Musu lanas kietas"
set wadurl "http:\\laimiz-doom.tk\"
set email "laimiz@xxx.lt"
set skill "4"
set fraglimit "50"
set timelimit "20"
set max_rate "8192"
set dmflags "726020"
set deathmatch 1

and here are the command lines:
C:\zdaemon_099bin\zserver.exe -file doommall.wad -deathmatch -maxplayers 3 -maxclients 3

well? what do i do wrong?

set cfg_activated "1"

set hostname "Fod's battle zone"[edit to suit]

set motd "Abandon hope all who enter<br><br>Be sure to visit truelights.com<br>or<br>doom2.org<br><br><br>happy fragging!"

set wadurl "http:\\homepage.ntlworld.com/fodders/wads.htm"[edit to suit]

set email "None set"

set skill "5"[edit to suit]... you get my drift?

set fraglimit "50"
set timelimit "20"

set max_rate "5000"

set dmflags "21572"

This works

NO IT DOESN'T WORK AT ALL! crap, once i type those friggin' "connect localhost", it crashes and comes with a "this program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down... bla bla bla... crap..."

What the hell?

connect local host? you are running zdoom and doing that aintcha? Try running zlauncher, but that's for net play no idea how you run it for a lan

1.) Zdaemon is not for LAN games.

2.) Your server is not appearing on the server list because you are on a network. The IP that zdaemon is connecting to is a router IP. Enable the DMZ host in your router status/network properties, or open port 10667 on your network (RTFM).

for LAN games you are better off with zdoom, prboom or if possible, doom2.exe.

I don't understand why anyone would say that zdaemon is not for LAN use. It is perfectly fine for LAN use, I had an entire LAN party where we played it for hours. Of course, we had to have the TCP/IP protocol installed on all LAN machines.
The connect localhost thing is one way to run a server on a computer and also run the client on the same computer. In that client only, on the same computer running the server, you'd use connect localhost to join the game.
Laimiz, you told us what your server command line is, but what is your client command line? Are you specifying the wad to use, such as zdaemon.exe -file doomall.wad ? It would be best not to load any pwads when you are debugging your setup. Just have doom2.wad in the same directory as the zdaemon stuff.

Just so there are no misunderstandings, I am not saying that zdaemon is "preferred" for LAN use, just that it works fine. Personally I'd use one of the other ports such as Erik suggests.