Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Avoozl

Worst monsters on fastmonsters mode

I would have to say that the worst monster on fastmonsters mode would have to be the Pain Elemental, constantly spewing out Lost Souls making it difficult to take it out even when circling it, but it also depends on the weapon you have available.

There might be worse monsters, but as soon as I discovered that group of shotgun sargents are pretty much impossible to deal with without taking damage I decided -fast was not actually going to be fun.

Ask me about fast monsters! After doing tons of testing of UAC Ultra 2 Episode 1 in Nightmare mode, I certainly know a thing or two about fast monsters.

One thing in particular I noticed, is how many of Doom 1's monsters got certain alterations in their behavior, making them a little more interesting than just fast shooting enemies (which is why I used strictly Doom 1 monsters in E1 anyway). Imps start pitching fastballs like you've never seen before. Especially Cacodemons, who already have a quick reaction time, can now shoot fireballs incredibly fast and at an even faster rate than imps and hell barons, making them especially dangerous. And of course, pinky demons are doubled in running and biting speed, making them highly challenging to subdue.

It seems none of the Doom 2 monsters got this kind of love. ArchViles still have the same speed for their attack frames for example. Arachnatrons are pretty much as normal as ever, except for retaliating immediately after being hurt. Mancubi and revenants are the same normal monsters that they are in any other skill level too.

Not to say that Doom 2 monsters really need that extra boost to be more fun. In fact they'd be horribly difficult without a plasma gun and tons of ammo, or just an alternate escape route any chance you get. Especially if say, revenants had always-homing missiles, maybe with even sharper turns. Or arachnatrons could shoot at the same rate as Mr. X from Scythe 2, or if Mancubi fired in unpredictable patterns, like with the effects of a partial invisibility.

40oz said:

revenants are the same normal monsters that they are in any other skill level too.

That's funny, I remembered they shot fireballs/rockets quicker/morelikely on fastmonsters.

depends...

when it comes to how engine is affected then for DOOM95 the
absolute worst to meet is the demons when you have loaded a saved game, why?:
because the engine freezes, the demon or spectre gets infinite
movement/attack speed and therefore the engine crashes.

else zombies are by far the most lethal, their numbers make half of
the mess, while the other half is the fact that they are hitscanners,
with increased attack speed.

if you combine these with pain elementars or archviles then you will be
forced to use high-tier weapons, and a good amount of health.

the alternative pain for the zombies must be the Imps, because of the
avrege damage they deal. if they are far away then you are more likely
to run into something else because of evading the distant attacks.

That sentence is a little out of context. All the monsters fire at a faster rate on fast monsters. Quake does the same thing. I'm just talking specifically about features that are unique to that particular monster, that most Doom 1 monsters received but Doom 2 monsters did not.

I think Zombies and Lost Souls are the only ones from Doom 1 who don't have anything unique about their behavior except for the faster shooting rate. Lost Souls have pretty unique behavior to begin with, so the faster attack rate makes them a bitch to shoot. Not sure what to say about Zombies. All the Doom 2 monsters have an advantage of being able to shoot fast, but nothing else. No faster fireballs or sped up movements or anything.

While Doom monsters generally get tougher on fast mode, the Archviles are pretty much screwed. They'll attack as soon as they see you, which means that you can easily hold them in place and prevent them from resurrecting monsters. They'll also be easy targets most of the time.

Echoing sentiments in regards to shotgun dudes. Terrible on just about every level.

I haven't played Nightmare too often, but I must agree with Scifista42: hitscanners. By far, hitscanners.

By far the wrost are the demons (pinkies) and spectres, specially in groups. Second comes the hitscanners and last comes every projectile enemies - it's still easy to dodge them but you need to pay more attention.

Now, a large group of demons and spectres on fast mode coming close to you is terrifying.

In -fast, I hate chaingunguys and shotgunners. They really turn my hair gray -fast.

Also, demons get new respect with -fast parameter. Without that, they're just meatshields.

Spectres are certainly the most annoying, followed closely by demons. I agree about shotgunners (how could I disagree?), but chaingunners are even worse.

That's basically why I rarely ever play on the fast monsters mode, the altered monster behaviour too often makes it ridiculously unbalanced. I recently wanted to go through all Doom 2 maps from scratch and with "fast", but The Focus made me sick. Since it's no use beating my head against the wall, I quit and don't think I will try it again in the near future.

shotgunners and PE take the cake, but mancubuses (who weren't mentioned yet) have a particularly nasty bonus on -fast. their shots tend to clip through walls much easier and you can get hit even hiding behind a pillar - just try playing doom2 map07 a couple of times.

The game is unbalanced to begin with. You're heavily out numbered, the ratio to the total hit points of the enemy monsters to the player's 100 plus all health items is usually 2 to 1 for most doom 2 levels, the monsters have infinite ammunition with attacks that deal a shit ton of damage and usually start in defensive hiding places too.

I hate to be the guy pulling the lack of skill card, but there HAS to be a little more to it than being unbalanced.

dew said:

shotgunners and PE take the cake, but mancubuses (who weren't mentioned yet) have a particularly nasty bonus on -fast. their shots tend to clip through walls much easier and you can get hit even hiding behind a pillar - just try playing doom2 map07 a couple of times.

Wow... this is something I've never noticed before, but having given it a whirl, my god is it frustrating to deal with. I thought the invisibilities could get annoying, but I've always hated fireball clipping.

For me, the worst monsters are spectres , shotgunguys , machinegunners and pain elemental.