Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vermil

Wolfenstein: The New Order annouced

Captain Red said:

I like everything I saw in that video except for the gun designs. Very, very few people do good made up future guns these days.

I think they're slightly above average. The actual gunplay seems to be on par with RAGE though which is a very good thing. I can't wait to cut penises with my laser gun and to make traps with it.

After watching a video interviewing the developers, I was impressed that they are not only incredibly enthusiastic, but are very intent on incorporating elements and aesthetics from the ORIGINAL game, including B.J.'s likeness and a focus on both exploration and high octane gunplay.

GoatLord said:

After watching a video interviewing the developers, I was impressed that they are not only incredibly enthusiastic, but are very intent on incorporating elements and aesthetics from the ORIGINAL game, including B.J.'s likeness and a focus on both exploration and high octane gunplay.

Hellraid and now this, Q4 is going to be incredibly exciting. If Id fuck up Doom 4, I hope MachineGames will make Doom 5.

DooM_RO said:

Here is the E3 trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFPgo5JfbQc

I really like what I see!

Woo! Let the Nazi hate flow! Anyway, gameplay looks a bit standard, perhaps even stale and overly scripted. We'll see... it all depends on how individual combat segments are set up. Hopefully they're fun and challenging.

I also liked that cackling older-lady Nazi. She looks like a hoot.

Good news, no regen anything. The game is going back to heath and armor pickups and I can't be more happy about it. I just hope the game is going to include non-liner sections also.

Satyr000 said:

Good news, no regen anything. The game is going back to heath and armor pickups and I can't be more happy about it. I just hope the game is going to include non-liner sections also.

Correction: The health system will be like in Resistance. It will only regenerate 20s. If you have 81 health, it will regenerate till 100, if you have 79, only to 80. A very elegant system if you ask me, I HATE stumbling across medpacks when I have 99 health, then get blasted by a shotgun guy. Oh, it will also have tons of secrets.

DooM_RO said:

Oh, it will also have tons of secrets.

What do you mean? Did they explicitly said something about secret areas with hidden goods?

This game looks very pretty and I can appreciate the amount of work put into it. I like the concept, I like the silliness. Nazi robots? Hell yeah, blast them enemies. (Cartman wouldn't though, he'd use them as minions. Cartman should be an easter egg in Wolfenstein.)

That being said, I'm probably not going to get it (or for like another 5 years) and have no expectations for it other than good graphics, which of course will not look as good as the pictures due to the machine/settings/etc. And probably the fact that the development versions are always probably made to look more pretty because they have better, more capable machines than the average user, which they sell an "average" version to. But, this looks better than Doom4... Which I haven't seen, or care for, or have any real expectations, and it's looking to me like that duke nukem game that never came.

But hey, it would be cool if my horrible expectations were shattered.

I guess I judge quickly. Only playing it (extensively) would give a fair opinion.

Butts said:

This game looks very pretty and I can appreciate the amount of work put into it. I like the concept, I like the silliness. Nazi robots? Hell yeah, blast them enemies. (Cartman wouldn't though, he'd use them as minions. Cartman should be an easter egg in Wolfenstein.)

That being said, I'm probably not going to get it (or for like another 5 years) and have no expectations for it other than good graphics, which of course will not look as good as the pictures due to the machine/settings/etc. And probably the fact that the development versions are always probably made to look more pretty because they have better, more capable machines than the average user, which they sell an "average" version to. But, this looks better than Doom4... Which I haven't seen, or care for, or have any real expectations, and it's looking to me like that duke nukem game that never came.

But hey, it would be cool if my horrible expectations were shattered.

I guess I judge quickly. Only playing it (extensively) would give a fair opinion.

Secrets, health packs, dual-wielding shotguns and robo nazis in space...what's NOT to like.

Also, I find it my solemn duty to use the laser gun to cut penises in walls.

I would prefer just fighting abnormal nazis in the 40s really, also if the dual weilding is only one shot at a time then it ain't my thing.

Avoozl said:

I would prefer just fighting abnormal nazis in the 40s really, also if the dual weilding is only one shot at a time then it ain't my thing.

But WW2 games are incredibly stale nowadays, ever moreso than modern military shooters. This is basically Astrostein but with a modern engine. And yes, you will be able yo shoot both at a time.

DooM_RO said:

Secrets, health packs, dual-wielding shotguns and robo nazis in space...what's NOT to like.

It's thematically interesting. But then, there's some interesting ideas in Call of Battlefield Honor v.2435633. Interesting ideas do not make a good game.

Maybe my low expectations are misguided, too, and this turns out to be the greatest FPS in the past 20 years. We'll see.

DooM_RO said:

Also, I find it my solemn duty to use the laser gun to cut penises in walls.

I'm going to use it to draw Hitler 'staches on all the... Oh wait. Never mind.

Wolfenstein sequels are also in dire need of a well orchestrated remix of Wolf3d's E1M1 music. All my youtube searches keep pulling up the original track run through a soundfont and the instruments that sounded good in OPL do not sound appropriate for high quality versions of the instruments.

This isn't really relevant to the rest of the thread, it's just something that's been bothering me lately.

40oz said:

Wolfenstein sequels are also in dire need of a well orchestrated remix of Wolf3d's E1M1 music. All my youtube searches keep pulling up the original track run through a soundfont and the instruments that sounded good in OPL do not sound appropriate for high quality versions of the instruments.

This isn't really relevant to the rest of the thread, it's just something that's been bothering me lately.

I wonder if this might do the trick.

Here is a new interview and a video featuring new gameplay.

It seems they still haven't solved the texture pop-ins...I REALLY hope they will. It seems a bit linear, though they promised secrets. Health packs confirmed! We will have to see just how old-school this really is when it comes out. Until then, I remain cautiously optimistic.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/25/the-potential-of-wolfenstein-the-new-order?utm_campaign=ign+main+twitter&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

doom_is_great said:

Really hoping that the final boss fight is with Hitler on the moon. Nothing could be more epic than that.

Why not on Mars?

doom_is_great said:

Really hoping that the final boss fight is with Hitler on the moon. Nothing could be more epic than that.

if this is a continuation of the Wolfenstein 3D story, doesn't that mean that BJ killed Hitler already?

Doomhuntress said:

if this is a continuation of the Wolfenstein 3D story, doesn't that mean that BJ killed Hitler already?

Yeah, but this is Wolfenstein. They can say that the Nazi scientists with their super technology resurrected Hitler.

There's a movie about that out already actually. Don't recall what it was called though. But it's basically about this doctor and his ring of nazis who clones the fhurer and then places the clones in foster families that are supposed to mimic the real Fhurer's family.

doom_is_great said:

Yeah, but this is Wolfenstein. They can say that the Nazi scientists with their super technology resurrected Hitler.

The E3 footage showed him giving a speech some point in time after the Nazis dropped their atomic bomb. Could be they resurrected Hitler, cloned him, or that the one in Wolfenstien 3D was a duplicate.

kristus said:

There's a movie about that out already actually. Don't recall what it was called though. But it's basically about this doctor and his ring of nazis who clones the fhurer and then places the clones in foster families that are supposed to mimic the real Fhurer's family.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077269/

doom_is_great said:

If you believe, they put Hitler on the Moon, Mecha Hitler...

kristus said:

fhurer

Führer, or fuehrer if you don't have umlauts.

As high-fantasy as it is, some of the imagery in that trailer is quite unsettling. When the chips are down, there's only one thing to do ...

I KID! I kid! Breathe!

Seriously though, I'm really interested in how this pans out. As a fan of the originals and movies like Iron Sky this looks like a really nice twist on the "wacky-Nazi-sci-fi-alternate-future" theme IMO. There's even a touch of, dare i say it, the Philadelphia Experiment sequel in there, too.

As long as the game stays true to the fast action the devs are promising, this could turn out alright. Makes more sense than DoGBlOps.