Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vermil

Wolfenstein: The New Order annouced

DooM_RO said:

Honestly I'm not expecting a very good Wolfenstein out of this game, but it's better to be surprised in a good way than to expect a new RTCW and recieve a mediocre game instead.

Only time will tell.

From what I've noticed in the new trailer, iron sights are not required for efficient shooting. The game also looks and sounds amazing, very unique.

Wanna bet that the Nazis discovered some time travelling mumbo jumbo under castle Wolfenstein? My gut tells me this sets the premise of the game.

Here's another trailer with extra footage. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucVZuXMHX1U

It also looks linear and very scripted, but it can be less frequent then the promotional videos shows. That's why I'm waiting to see how it turns out to be before judging the game.

PS: But I must say that I like the use of mad scientists and mutant/robots just like the original game.

Quite true about level design. I just hope it won't be just a straight line with the occasional secret but the secret I saw was very much in the vein of Wolfenstein. They also said they would provide tactical positions for stealth kills. They keep referring to the game as "action-adventure" I wonder what that means.

I REALLY wish someone important from the community on behalf of Doomworld interviewed them and asked the hard questions like how linear the game truly is.

I am also not sure about giving BJ a personality, just how much can you do with an 80s action hero? The villains seem very cool though.

DooM_RO said:

I am also not sure about giving BJ a personality, just how much can you do with an 80s action hero?

Well, unlike certain other video game protagonists, he has a name.

More good news!

"I hadn’t expected this kind of level design, I must admit, and though some sections were linear and pushed you down a certain path through NPC interactions and level design, others were nice and open. In the castle, I actually got a little lost, because of a multi-levelled design and interconnected rooms and corridors in which I had to kill a handful of enemies."

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2013/08/30/hands-on-with-wolfenstein-the-new-order/

EDIT: More http://www.ausgamers.com/features/read/3347391

While it's difficult to give an accurate assessment of the game after spending all of 10 minutes playing, I have to say the overall impression I have is quite positive. The shooting was quite solid: in the short time I played, I got to wield dual handguns, an assault rifle, a mounted machine gun, dual semi-auto shotguns, and some peculiar energy-fed handgun, which I believe was a welding/cutting tool. Anyway, the guns all felt appropriately powered and shooting enemies is almost as enjoyable as it is in Rage. Oh, you also get BJ's classic weapon, the combat knife. I was able to score a sweet stealth kill where I crept up behind a guy and plunged the blade into the side of his neck.

I'm quite pleased to report some significant improvements over Rage, both in terms of graphics and physics. Deformable geometry played a prominent role, as there were many rocks and chunks of concrete which would crumble and deteriorate under sustained gunfire. Texture quality has improved significantly, to the point where I would say that it's frequently comparable to stuff you'd see in Crysis 2. I guess I'd have to see the two games side by side to be sure if that comparison, though. There is a bit of an inconsistency here though, in that certain surfaces still have the 'it looks great until you get close' factor. Mostly insignificant things, like the interior of a broken concrete slab, or a pile of playing cards on a counter, but it is there sometimes.

Lighting certainly seems better, in that it seems to be mostly dynamic again, though that could partly be due to the higher texture quality making it appear that way. It certainly didn't look pre-baked to me, though keep in mind I only played for 10 minutes and didn't do a full, in-depth analysis.

Anyway, the game shows promise. If the pluses I mentioned don't get taken out prior to release, I'll certainly be happier.

WOW, sounds awesome! What about the level design? Quite a few gaming sites said it was more non-linear than it looks, is that true? This could be awesome! The perfect blend of old school and new school, I'm so excited...but we shall see.

Thanks for sharing your impressions, Caffeine Freak. The game you describe sounds fun, but the video posted earlier didn't really grab me. I remain very cautiously optimistic...

I'm buying this game just because the trailer got me into Jimi Hendrix.

Maybe at a discounted price. Slightly less discounted if it's in the soundtrack.

DooM_RO said:

WOW, sounds awesome! What about the level design? Quite a few gaming sites said it was more non-linear than it looks, is that true?

I'm afraid I can't confirm or deny that, I didn't really see enough of the game. I selected the second hardest difficulty, so I died several times at one point, and consequently spent much of my playtime in one large atrium.

The demo started in the middle of a massive maze of debris, (I think the story was that Blazkowicz and some other guy had just detonated a huge car bomb in front of some Nazi stronghold, but that it didn't exactly go as planned) and progressed from there to the atrium where I spent much of the time. What I saw in my playtime was well-designed and very detailed, a lot of debris and rubble all around. I caught glimpses of some very nice high-tech lab areas when I was watching other people play. Visually, I could say everything ranged from good to spectacular, both in terms of texture quality and artistic design. I didn't see anything where I said 'oh wow, those textures suck' or 'this area needs more detail'. Then again, I'm sure Machine Games took special care to make sure the demo section was polished before PAX, so that makes sense.

Can't view it (error). I also generally can't view Bethesda's FB pages because they require an account. And to hell with FB.

This is actually looking to be pretty good.

I like fighting robots....this certainly has that.
I also find combining technology into the human body fascinating...it has that too.

Fighting Nazis is always fun and I do like the look of the weapons.

However, the animation and sound of stabbing Nazis in the neck seems a bit overly violent? Dont get me wrong I love blood and gore and death animations, but this seemed maybe a little too....realistic. It makes the player seem like a mentally disturbed psycho killer.

bcwood16 said:

Dont get me wrong I love blood and gore and death animations, but this seemed maybe a little too....realistic.

It's not really all the realistic though. Cause if it were, it would be a lot less expressive. Which is exactly what you were bemoaning it for being.

Why are still we seeing those stupid little concentrated mists of blood when we shoot some sorry ass video game bad guy.

bcwood16 said:

This is actually looking to be pretty good.

I like fighting robots....this certainly has that.
I also find combining technology into the human body fascinating...it has that too.

Fighting Nazis is always fun and I do like the look of the weapons.

However, the animation and sound of stabbing Nazis in the neck seems a bit overly violent? Dont get me wrong I love blood and gore and death animations, but this seemed maybe a little too....realistic. It makes the player seem like a mentally disturbed psycho killer.

If FPS shouldn't aim at "realistic" blood and gun shot wound reactions, what's the point in having red blood spurting out in the first place? Why not have flowers sprouting from the bullet and knife wounds.

DooM_RO said:

Let's just hope this is just a slice of the game.

Well, of course it's impossible for anyone to say what the rest of the game is like, but I wouldn't be surprised of a convention demo containing only scripted sequences. They let you control the play time better and leave less room for people to break your game on the show floor - which is the last thing you want to happen in there.

DooM_RO said:

Time for some NOT so great news http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIhTULSEAZQ

Let's just hope this is just a slice of the game.

I seriously, really fucken seriously, hope its not going to be 80% scripted events and 20% shooter, because that is just too fucking lame (and big reason why I loathe FPS nowadays). I'd rather even have experience points and skills than stupid heavily scripted sequences. Yeah, maybe that adds in game time when you have to sit through stupid conversations. And please no riding shotgun on a vehicle or mounted machine gun and shooting enemies. That shit drags the replay value down really near a total zero !!

Yay, im going to the UK London game expo this month on 28th and one of the games there will be this one.

Maybe I will get a chance to give it a quick play or at least see some new things.

Will report back if I have anything to report, never gone to a game expo before :)

Please look for something in the game that will calm us, if they fuck this up, it will break my heart :(

DooM_RO said:

I am also not sure about giving BJ a personality, just how much can you do with an 80s action hero? The villains seem very cool though.

Isn't he a 40's action hero? :P