Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vermil

Wolfenstein: The New Order annouced

Well, something like the vertical building climb. It just didn't sit right with me. The opening also looked a bit iffy and typical. I think the health regen/pickup hybrid is weird (not that it matters so much). There have been a lot of small tidbits here and there that I wasn't fond of. I guess it's mostly the little things.

I thought the health system was very elegant. Being stuck at 5 health with 5 guys in front of you is not pretty and picking up a medkit at 95 health is very aggravating.

Since there is very little info about the game atm (we're going to get more later in the year), I thought it would be appropriate to post what a guy who played it at one of the events thought about the game.

So guys, I'm here to field some questions. I played a demo today at the Taipei Game Show. I waited in a queue to play a PS4 game of my choosing, and it was either this, Thief, Diablo 3, or all the launch titles I've already played/have/care about.

So I played Wolfenstein. Here are my impressions of what I played in the demo:

- Very "old school". For my play through there was absolutely NO health regen. It's health packs (and you can acquire health that puts you over 100 and slowly counts down, like in the original Wolfenstein). EDIT: I could be wrong about this. I remember picking up health packs and being low on health, but I wasn't paying attention to my health enough to know whether or not it was regenerating. Wiki article says it's using a system similar to the first Resistance.

- Visually up to snuff with BF4 or CoD, but doesn't boast that true, "next-gen" visual upgrade. Weapons and reload animation look great. Textures were great.

-Once I tweaked the controller a bit (lowered sensitivity and inverted Y), it felt good. It doesn't feel like a twitch CoD shooter and is more akin to KZ: SF in how it feels and controls. I wasn't snapping to targets, either.

-Not sure what the difficulty was, but it was probably on normal. Enemy AI was pretty solid for what I played. They would retreat down corridors, take cover, try to flank, etc.

-I pulled some levers and opened secret passages in the castle. The castle is a MAZE, and I don't doubt that some people here who saw the footage noted that the player looked lost. This was a GOOD thing for me. Basically, you learn how to read a fucking map, and you navigate your way through the castle. There were no objective markers on screen. There wasn't any hand-holding...it was just me, my guns (there's a weapon wheel), and multiple paths to take with guys lurking down some of the corridors. Once I learned to consult my map (I think it was down on the d-pad), I was finding my way around, but also navigating out-of-the-way secret passages and hidden rooms. I assassinated some Nazi guy sitting at his desk in a secret chamber at one point.

-You can dual wield pistols and assault rifles if you pick them up. Pistols can be equipped with silencers.

-Ammo is not delivered to you by the bucket full, but it's not unfairly scarce, either. It felt like a very good balance.

I really liked what I played, to be honest. I kind of hate games like CoD and BF4. I tend to like shooters that add a bit of nuance, nostalgia, or innovation. Or games with an intriguing setting. This had a very strong Wolfenstein feel to it, and I enjoyed the hell out of blasting away nazis in tight castle corridors.

Ask me questions about things I might have left out.

Source http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=757448

As much as I'd love to get it once it comes out I never will be able to play it until I can get a decent enough internet connection unfortunately, I wish every retail box of a game didn't have Steam slapped onto it because it makes gaming a lot harder for Australians stuck with poor internet for the most part.

Looks like preorder's of Wolf:NWO will come with beta access for Doom 4, now called Doom. It will be nice to finally get Doom 4 in one form or another. But, I'm still not sold on Wolf:NWO.

I'm still not holding my breath for anything that Wolf 2009 failed to deliver, besides the obviously prettier visuals and some admittedly cool concepts.

I expect chock full of bullshit DLC within the first three months after release.

Chaingun armor DLC: add beautiful (if useless) armors to your chainguns, for the low price of $1.99.

Satyr000 said:

Looks like preorder's of Wolf:NWO will come with beta access for Doom 4, now called Doom. It will be nice to finally get Doom 4 in one form or another. But, I'm still not sold on Wolf:NWO.

It's always been called "Doom" by Id.

Dragon Quest 8 is an awesome game, probably one of the best RPGs. It sold millions of copies, but no one played it, they just eBayed their copies of the game. Why? Final Fantasy demo disc.

Gez said:

Chaingun armor DLC: add beautiful (if useless) armors to your chainguns, for the low price of $1.99.

Ha ha and dont forget the DlC that gives you a BFG on the first level!

They're not story spoilers, they're demo spoilers. (Train scene, car scene, museum scene...) This stuff has been spoiled for a while now. It's been in a few trailers and gameplay previews.

There was nothing new revealed in the article, except that apparently the levels are a lot less linear past their heavily-scripted introduction stage.

In the same video, a guy who says he is a beta tester provided us with some information in the comments section

Simeon Yves2 months ago (edited)

+lucky88shp no problem, i am lucky enough to have a freind in sweden who put me in contact with machine games as they wanted an outside tester with an Nvidia SLi rig so they could check to see if the game was running well on SLi, seeing as "rage", the last game on Idtech 5, practically refused to recognise Nvidia GPU's owing to its build of idtech5 being optimised for the elderly AMD radeon 9800 GPU in the xbox360.

when i tried "rage" on my PC, i was lucky to get 12 FPS out of it. and i had twin EVGA/Nvidia Geforce GTX Titans in SLi at the time!

thankfully, WTNO is far better optimised, as it needs to be having PC as lead development platform as a good 60% of gaming pc's use some form of Nvidia GTX GPU, normally 600 or 700 series.

The beta code levels (3 of them, about 7 hours worth of play, they are BIG levels!) i got to try was running at between 110 and 120 FPS with everything maxed out and FOV at 90 Degrees (good news for "next gen" (yeah...right) console owners, the PS4 and Xbone versions are direct "PC to console" ports (as it should be)and retain an FOV slider as well as full keyboard and mouse support, however, The PS3 and Xbox360 versions are locked to 65 FOV owing to hardware restrictions) . there was a few little bugs here and there, but far less than usual for Bethesda at release let alone beta so it seems they have finally sorted out there QA department there. textures arn't the best at times, sometimes looking pretty PS1, but they load much faster than they did in rage.. i quess the texture issues are because idtech 5 isnt a very good engine as id limited it internally to only 1GB V-Ram, but, it plays beutifully and i quess thats what really matters in a wolfenstein game! plus, it means it should be able to run at a good 60 FPS plus maxed out on even a mid-range system.

its a very, very good game mechanically, its a proper sequal to RTCW in terms of its gameplay mechanics and level desing (albiet 10 times bigger levels). theres a lot of W3d in there as well (and yes, SS "officers" do scream "AAKKKH! MEIN LEIBEN!" when killed), what ive seen of the storyline is brilliant, very Dark "comic book",with strong influences of early (mid 1980s) Frank Miller. Keither Sutherland is 100% badass and often laugh out loud funny as the very "1980s hollywood action hero" version of BJ he plays.

There is some great stealth in there, truly tense, some suprisingly clever puzzles that reminded me more than a bit of Half Life, and the combat is exceptional bringing back strong memories of Quake II and Soldier of Fortune with its massive blood spray,. Screen shaking visual weapons kick combined with lazer accurate bullet grouping, and Thunderous Sound Effects. a 7.92X57 MM Mauser Cartridge Sounds like you would imagine a 7.92X57 MM Mauser Cartridge would, a cross between a thunderclap and thors hammer! combine that with some defaning nazi deathscreams and a great 60s infused rock soundtrack of the kind you would find in a late 90s shooter, and its a treat on 7.1...(ASUS R.O.G "Vulcan" headset in my case) Visceral and exciting are the *******e logwords!

its a really good game they have cooked up. i didnt really expect less from the former Riddick/The Darkness team from Starbreeeze, but even i will admit that "PC lead platform" was a very pleaseant suprise!

beleive me, its going to be worth the wait as it has been delayed to febuary 2014 as they have had to remake the 1946 Proloque level as it unfortunatly suffered a bit from "max payne 3" syndrome as it was (im sure most of us have seen totalbiscuits report on the old build of the proloque). too many cutscenes, so the levels been extended to offfer more gameplay so they can keep the same number of cutscenes without opressing the player, and bring it more in line with later levels, wich can go a good 30 to 40 minuites without even so much as a second of cutscene...and even then thats only about quater of the level ! .
Show less

Can't say for sure if that quote there is real or just some guy saying crap, but I'll believe it. I'm generally positive towards the game after my initial skepticism. The turning point was really that very leaked video. The train scene shows that whoever is directing this knows what they're doing. The characters, the acting, the animation, what they're saying and NOT saying is the best I have seen in a first person shooter. They actually remind me of real people and the moment blaskowitz(?) has with the Anya character was perfect. A proper love (or at least character heavy) story in Wolfenstein? THAT is ballsy. I'm all in.

From what I can gather in previews etc., it seems that they are doing it right, taking the things from old times and combining those with what works today - ignoring oldschool fanboys that scream for LESS STORY MOAR PAINKILLER in every production and ultimately making a well-rounded product that isn't caught in the 90s, 00s or crappy-indie-game territory.

Waffenak said:

Interesting, I hope I can use that chainsaw in the game also. Reference to DOOM maybe, eh?

`

That's what I thought!

Here's another preview. For some reason, you will be able to dual-wield sniper rifles. I like how they aren't afraid to be unserious.

http://www.pcgamer.com/previews/wolfenstein-the-new-order-hands-on-loud-violent-and-utterly-idiosyncratic/

I also wonder what linear means to journalists:

Underneath, however, is a capable if familiar shooter. The levels are linear but with large individual combat areas, and the AI is sufficiently advanced to keep a decent player on their toes. Early missions are a little too narrow, but latter sections are much more promising. Most of the time you’ll be shooting through crowds of Nazis to reach their commanders – special foes that, if alerted, summon waves and waves of reinforcements. It’s a novel way to make use of respawning enemies without it feeling cheap or out of the player’s control.

and

In this context, a quiet approach might seem foolish – but stealth is viable. Many combat areas are open enough to offer multiple routes, and throwing knives and silenced pistols turn the game into something closer to Far Cry than Quake. This is where the minigames come in: picking locks and hot-wiring electronics to unlock hidden areas, scouting for collectibles, scanning for clues to the next secret. It’s hardly groundbreaking stuff, but it’s nice to see a modern shooter break away from Call of Duty levels of linearity.

Dual wielding sniper rifles? Hot damn, is Nazi Super Science cool!

With all the ups and downs of the new Wolf series, I do enjoy a lot of the over the top touches through the current entries of the series. It's sorta depressing to know WWII was really never this cool, with mutants and undead vikings and shit wrecking havoc in Germany while giant robots and mech-men look on.