Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vermil

Wolfenstein: The New Order annouced

Right, so here is some filmed footage from Quakecon with a lot of scenes we haven't seen yet. /watch?v=mk8KdC6ehIE

Because I really don't want to be spoiled, please tell me your impressions of what you see. Please watch the whole thing before criticizing.

I've seen that some time ago. Character / facial animations seem to be much better than in RAGE. Also Germans speak in German.

The bit shown there looks like a standard, RAGE-style shooting gallery.

But I think you guys are panicking way too much. Seriously. And taking everything TB says as the best possible indication of what's to be expected, completely ignoring other reports that were based on different demos.

It's not gonna be 90s open level design. It might contain open bits considering other games made by Starbreeze. It would stun me if it was Call of Duty cutscene galore.

According to this interview, some of the levels will be directed while others are more open with multiple paths http://www.ausgamers.com/videos/watch/72539/ausgamers-gamescom-2013-wolfenstein-the-new-order-developer-interview

Maybe the part TB was talking about was the directed one? Maybe they were playing it safe?

http://www.ausgamers.com/videos/watch/72539/ausgamers-gamescom-2013-wolfenstein-the-new-order-developer-interview

Also, in this interview we find out exactly what "action-adventure" means

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNmKuMlG0xQ

Something tells me the interactivity will be like in Duke Nukem 3D. The parts about the level design is what's most interesting in the interview.

I'm eagerly waiting for this. I haven't yet played bad wolfenstein game and I have played alot of them. Even ported versions of original are good like the jaguar version and panasonic 3do one.

When they make game where you can play as german soldier? That would be brave move and bring something new to this genre.

This shall be interesting. Hopefully the game ends up feeling like Wolfenstein for the sake of the fans.

Hi Guys,

I went to the London game expo on Saturday, its the first one I went to and I had a fantastic time! I may go next year and stay a night to at least have 2 days there, there really was so much to see!

I am going to create a new post later this week with some of the things I tried out such as Elder Scrolls on-line and Titanfall etc.....unfortunately I can't do it any earlier as im going away on a business trip for two days later today.

However, as I did try Wolfenstein New Order I wanted to post some thoughts really quickly before I go.

Keep in mind that even though I did play the demo I had to use an Xbox controller which I hardly ever use and am utterly crap at! Due this this I could not get as far as most people there and I had to put the difficulty on the easiest lol ....soz

So the first thing I noticed was that the graphics were not as good as the screen shots, in fact it looked very washed out, but im not a graphics whore anyway so not too bothered, dont get me wrong though, it still looked very nice!!

Some of the stuff im going to say is going to sound negative, but I did enjoy the game and love this sort of FPS action, so overall I am looking forward to getting it....maybe not on release day though....but thats now common for me anyway.

So the guns looked great, felt very damaging and had great sounds. So if you like guns in (who doesn't) you will enjoy this. The AI seemed very dumb, in fact most were just canon fodder, put there just to be shot at, I hear it is very very hard on high difficulties so its likely because I had it on easy. Also damage didnt seem to effect the body in different ways, a shot in the head will do the same damage as a shot in the foot...I hope thats again due to difficulty.

The levels look nice but are 100% utterly linear. You walk up a corridor, two doors at the end, one is locked/damaged, the other will open....thats about as detailed as it goes. There are a few open areas such as this one area you can go up some stairs, at the top is a machine gun turret that you can use to shoot bad guys coming up the stairs from the door at the bottom which you eventually need to go through to progress. You use the turret to shoot the bad guys that walk straight into you line of path and one by one all die (though blasting them with this gun is very fun). You can actually detach the massive gun from its stand and walk about blasting people.....awesome! However all the doors at the top are locked and you have to go back down stairs to the door the bad guys came from to progress. Exploring upstairs gave no rewards apart from to get that gun and have some fun with it. Keep in mind this was a demo and so there may be much more open areas later on, but going by the gameplay, this is unlikely.

The main objectives flash a golden colour to hold your hand, so if you get to the end of a corridor and dont realise you need to shoot a chain holding the one door shut, then you you do now :)

Also as you do different objectives the player now has a voice and will comment on things as you play through the levels, such as if you shoot a chain to drop an object to make a bridge, he will say "I made a shortcut"...or something like that. I did not like this at all, as I like to be the FPS character, not stuck in a vessel, other people prefer the voices....just personal preference.

The save system is a check point system. So I had to re-play 'alot' of gameplay because of my bad aiming (they are not too far apart though)

Overall though, the theme is fun, its very action packed and guns are awesome! It should be a fun experience, but it is an A to B shooter.

One thing thats very clear (and with most FPS games out now) is its template is COD. I think I need to get my head out the sand and just accept that COD gameplay is pretty much the industry standard FPS games are made on. All COD players (and there were hundreds and hundreds of them at the expo) were really good at playing these games as it was so familiar. I spoke to quite a few of the game developers and they all said their games play like COD. This was really off-putting, but its only 'based' on it. Depending on the game you may still be able to play it differently, but COD players will be at home. The games still add new things and have fun aspects, but they are COD with face lifts and bolt ons. This is just my opinion, but its quite obvious and in your face I think. It does not mean the games are instantly 'crap', but may not be how you would create a game, at the end of the day its a business and they need to target the right market and COD fans are the largest out there.

Basically I think if you like FPS games, and Wolfenstein you will like this (just dont be overly nit picky). If you are fussy, hate COD and stuck in your ways....stay away.

Sorry if that does upset people, but hey im only 'one' person. Others may think differently, im just trying to be honest. I DID enjoy the game, it just suffers from the usual stuff we are all familiar with.

How strange, the video I posted indicated the possibility of different routes and another showed a very classic secret behind a painting. The secret passage was activated by "using" a statue next to it. What's not Wolfenstein about that? Did you find any secrets?

Did you search for interesting stuff or just blitzed through the levels? Even in that filmed footage, I saw at least 4 alternative routes and at least some degree of non-linearity and verticality.

Ah yes, and about the graphics: which platform did you play the game on?

I am also not sure to say about the COD-ification of the game. For starters, in a lot of the videos using iron sights was NOT mandatory.

It's silly if games like GTA have more satisfying shooting than a damn FIRST PERSON SHOOTER. I don't want to play the new Wolfenstein and force myself through the game just to see the ending, because I was bored of poor shooting mechanics and tame guns since the first level.

DooM_RO said:
How strange, the video I posted indicated the possibility of different routes and another showed a very classic secret behind a painting. The secret passage was activated by "using" a statue next to it. What's not Wolfenstein about that? Did you find any secrets? [/B]

Well as I was so rubbish with the xbox controller I didnt get far and not sure if those parts were in our demo. I also did not look for secrets as that was the last thing on my list while trying to stay alive, but im sure there are many secrets. I never said the game did not feel very Wolfenstein....I enjoyed it.

Did you search for interesting stuff or just blitzed through the levels? Even in that filmed footage, I saw at least 4 alternative routes and at least some degree of non-linearity and verticality. [/B]

I tried to progress as far as I could, but due to Nazies trying to kill me and succeeding, what 'I' played was linear, but looking at other footage and what developers are saying I have no doubt that later on the levels do open up a bit. However, due to the way the game 'guides' you through the levels to keep the action flowing I dont expect it to be super open, most likely small alternative routes. Why are people hung up having a wide open world to play in? Its fun for Skyrim, Farcry etc (I know people dont mean to that extreme), but whats wrong with just enjoying playing through the fun action that you are guided through? Sure take your time, appreciate the games details and look for secrets, but to be honest I dont think having three different routes to get to A to B will work in this?

Ah yes, and about the graphics: which platform did you play the game on? [/B]

Sadly I dont know, I think it may have been Xbox 1

I am also not sure to say about the COD-ification of the game. For starters, in a lot of the videos using iron sights was NOT mandatory. [/B]

Yea you can use sights, but from the guns I used you dont need to do this at all, I feel this was implemented so COD players feel better at home. As I said they were instantly good at the game and did really well....though to be honest they rushed through it so fast I dont expect they took in the details, looked for secrets or even saw any of the special effects such as dust and smoke as 'things' happened. Im not saying if you hate COD you will hate this, but nearly all the FPS games coming out are heavily influenced by COD. Titanfall is another one, I really enjoyed this, it was epic, but it was actually 'designed' to play like COD but with some really cool new stuff which made it fun......maybe im just a bit pants trying to explain this...soz...im trying my best :)

Umm, I an not referring to open-world levels but rather to levels that are interconnected with MEANINGFUL secrets as in not just kinda there like in Hard Reset...you know, like Doom. To be honest I DID see at least some indication that there would be such levels but we'll have to see.

DooM_RO said:

Umm, I an not referring to open-world levels but rather to levels that are interconnected with MEANINGFUL secrets as in not just kinda there like in Hard Reset...you know, like Doom. To be honest I DID see at least some indication that there would be such levels but we'll have to see.

Im thinking there probably is. Half the problem is, im trying to give feedback on my own experiences of playing the actual game, yet as I could not progress far and am crap at xbox controllers I couldn't give the demo the attention I deserved and I could have easily missed major things.

Due to this its a matter of assembling what I have said and what other have said along with videos and developer comments.

Overall, with my short experience with it I had fun, so if I can sit down and play it properly in the comfort of my home and preferred control scheme Im sure it will be even better :)

Wow, I wish I could play this at an expo. Problem is that I live on the other side of the world. I am very excited about this game. It would break my heart if it sucks.

I twitted them the thread link and they thanked me for sharing it :D. Hi MachineGames :), I can't wait to play Wolf!

Anyway, I am quite positive the game will at least be FUN. I still don't know what to think about other stuff though.

One of the things that worries me is pacing. I know they are trying to tell a story and I am not against that but how often gameplay is interrupted is extremely important.

As for the level design, I really liked that secret behind the painting, very classic. The levels at least seem interconnected with some degree of exploration. However, I wonder just how old school this game truly is...I guess we'll have to see. This game is definitely on my radar though.

A full, uninterrupted gameplay trailer would help very much, I think. So far, all we've got is a few sequences and that's not enough to properly judge the game. Oh, and if you are reading this, what do you think about Total Biscuit's concerns about the game? Are they justifiable. The reason I ask this is because people trust this guy a lot more than other journalists, if you can get him on your side, it would help you a lot.

It will be an instant buy for me.
Lots and lots of things that didn't sit right with me, but it won me over with two things.

1. The train scene. The german boy toy character is one of the most realistically portrayed game characters I've seen. Amazing. The way the segment was handled in general was really great. Germans speak german, what went on in that scene was interesting. The brief scene at the end between Blascowitz(?) and the lady was just right and full of chemistry.

2. Any videos showing more or less non-linear play have been interesting. The reaction and feedback to the weapons also seems just as good (or better) than it did in Rage.

I'm looking forward to it.