Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Katamori

The unofficial "Which one is better?" thread

You want to build something, but you are not sure, how? Post varieties here and decide others stuff!

I made this thread to avoid constant "Which one is better?" questions in Doom pic thread.

So...which one is better?

Neither of them.

The fence needs some sort of side border, either on the texture or the surrounding walls.

The force field; what is generating it?

I like the chainlink.

The other one reminds me of those glass loaf pans of green jello my grandma would make.

Vermil said:

Neither of them.

The fence needs some sort of side border, either on the texture or the surrounding walls.

The force field; what is generating it?

Pretty much this. Without any more editing, the fence looks better because the forcefield makes no sense.

That green forcefield texture really only works when it's brightened massively, judging from the looks of that. I don't know how you managed to get it took look so... gray.

Looks like he didn't set it to use additive translucency. It only looks good when it's additive.

The top one because the caution stripes are aligned properly

:)

In seriousness, I think the forcefield could look better depending on the theme of the map, but needs extra detail on the walls around it more than the chainlink fence does.

The chainlink fence looks more sensible and more visually appealing than the forcefield, which does look strangely murky/muddled in the second shot, and seems to be glaringly lacking a source, as Vermil said. Really, though, both seem like kind of an odd choice, given that the word "CLOSED" is actually built into the tiling of the hallway itself. Does the base administrator have a maintenance dude come around and re-tile the floor whenever the corridor isn't off-limits? Of course, I guess that does sound like something that would be in line with past patterns of UAC resource management....

Truth be told, I think a better option than either of the above might be some impassible chrome bars (or maybe some caution-striped ones), like the ones you used on the false stairways near the exit in Hadephobia's map 01.

Xaser said:

additive translucency

what is that exactly and how do I enable it?

Memfis said:

what is that exactly and how do I enable it?

Exactly the same question here.

It's just a flag in UDMF, and a flag in the third parameter of 208:TranslucentLine in Doom-as-Hexen... dunno if Boom-format supports it or not.

Wow, really Katamori, a whole thread just to help you choose between two possible looks for a fence? Gee, i can almost see you sitting in front of your PC, all sweating and shaking, mumbling "which one, WHICH ONE?".

If an element can be presented in more than one variant, and all those variants look good and in place, just pick one randomly and move on, there is no difference. Just don't forget to add side borders with different texture, ya sissy.

The chainlink fence makes more sense of the two here given the wall surroundings. The forcefield also has an odd 'shadow' wall effect that just looks bad to me.

Gez said:

For Boom-compatible additive translucency, you'll have to provide a custom translucency map.
http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Translucency
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-editing/44165-tranmap-abuse-in-boom-additive-blending-inversion-grayscale-and-more/
Here's Essel's additive tranmap. Use SLADE 3 to convert it to a flat with the Doom palette.

Wow, I didn't think that even translucency works with colormaps...