Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ixfd64

installing custom Heretic episodes from H!Zone manually?

I recently dug out my H!Zone files from my dinosaur of a laptop, and I want to play the custom episodes again (even though I've heard they are kind of crappy). Unfortunately, I'm having trouble getting the H!Zone launcher to work on DOSBox.

The WAD files for the episodes appeared to be stored in the [CD drive]:\H!ZONE\CUSTOM\HERETIC folder. However, there are also nine files named E3M[1-9].wad in the [CD drive]:\H!ZONE\CUSTOM\HERETIC\T folder. I suspect they're used to restore episode 3 of vanilla Heretic to the original levels, but I can't be sure.

So my question is: is it safe to load the custom episode WADs as a normal PWAD? Thanks!

Looks like they're all Episode 3 replacements and I don't see anything to suggest they can't be loaded as PWADs, though it might pay to merge the flats, sprites and textures into a single resource wad for loading alongside the maps.

ixfd64 said:

However, there are also nine files named E3M[1-9].wad in the [CD drive]:\H!ZONE\CUSTOM\HERETIC\T folder.

They appear to be copies of the individual maps in EPI-01.WAD.

IIRC when I had H!Zone, they were simply 12 pwads in a folder by themselves, with a generic name and 01-12 on the end.

They are all episode 3 replacements.