Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bcwood16

Doom Builder - Thing colours

Hello,

When adding 'Things' into Doom Builder they are represented by a colour and sometimes a different icon.

IE Monsters are red circles with an arrow, bigger the creature bigger the circle etc

However, I have been adding my own 'Things' into the game by changing the 'Thing' ID number. As Doom Builder has no idea what it is, it defaults to a grey circle with an arrow.

So this is ok, but as I am adding different types of 'Things' I was hoping I could configure some sort of file to tell Doom Builder to display a different icon, one I could possibly create and add.

Something like

ID = 9553 > Display graphic Custom 1
ID = 9554 > Display graphic Custom 2
etc

Im thinking this is not possible or overly hard.

Still its worth asking as I have many custome 'Things' and it be great to be able to distingish different groups such as a Green icon with a cross or arrow. It would just make life a bit easier :)

Da Werecat said:

You should look into DB's configuration files. They're easily customizable.

Yea I did look into this, but was not sure if I was on the right track, also didn't seem to find too much info about it.

Will do some more googling.

Cheers

If you don't feel up to messing with the Doom Builder config files, there are a few keys you can add to DECORATE scripts which should solve most of your problems.

Thanks GreyGhost.

However, have managed to find some info and think I am happy with editing a copy of a DB config to add my own config.

Its pretty much just a text file defining stuff. Im not too interested in the sprite used in 3D mode, though I may look into adding one just to identify my new stuff.

Will test this out in the next day or two and post back.

Cheers

Don't forget to backup your modified config files, otherwise you'll lose them when updating to a newer release of DB2. Another approach you might like to investigate later is creating your own include file ("bcwood16_things.cfg"), once that's done all that should be required is an include line in the Thing Types section of each of the relevant master config files.

include("Includes\\bcwood16_things.cfg");

GreyGhost said:

Don't forget to backup your modified config files, otherwise you'll lose them when updating to a newer release of DB2. Another approach you might like to investigate later is creating your own include file ("bcwood16_things.cfg"), once that's done all that should be required is an include line in the Thing Types section of each of the relevant master config files.

include("Includes\\bcwood16_things.cfg");

Yup, actually thats the way I was going to do it.

1) Backup master config im using ATM
2) Create new config file such as you suggested bcwood16_things.cfg
3) Include that file after the other 'thing' configs on the new master file

Not had chance to do it yet, but looks like im on the right track :)

Yay, done it and all sorted.

Thanks for guidance etc

Just to close things off....in case it helps somebody else. This is what I did

1) Copy a DB config, such as just the plain 'Doom'
2) Rename the file and also what shows in the editor, by opening it up and changing Game = Config name
3) I created a new .cfg file and using this code added my new things, this goes in the 'Includes' sub folder.

//Pipes

Pipe_Objects
{
	color = 5;	
	arrow = 1;
	title = "Pipes";
	width = 20;
	sort = 1;
	height = 56;
	hangs = 0;
	blocking = 1;
	error = 2;

{
		title = "Ceil Pipe Short";
		width = 6;
		height = 6;
		hangs = 1;
		sprite = "None";
	}

//More ID continue here
4) Finally I added the name of the new .cfg to the main .cfg that I just copied and renamed earlier.

I added my new config name under the existing 'Things' config

include("Includes\\Doom_things.cfg");
include("Includes\\New_Objects.cfg");

Works a charm.

Oh, not sure what the 'Error = 2' bit does, any idears?

(Hope that was clear enough)