Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dexiaz

My Doom music remixes

Do Hell Revealed 2 MAP15!

Guest DILDOMASTER666

I'm not too in love with the remix of my PRCP song. I do appreciate the effort, and I like how some of the drums were changed to snare rolls, it's kind of interesting. But the distortion guitar sections are absolutely overpowered by the buzzsaw guitar tone. It makes it impossible to hear the lead guitar behind the rhythm chords, and the drums are lost entirely as well. It would help the mix a lot if you upped the volume on the drums quite a lot and maybe did some bass processing so it's not all midranges that are kind of at the whim of what the clean guitars are doing, and the volume and tone on the distortion guitars are begging to be changed.

I'd change the bass to a nice, thick, fretless sound, too. It'd make more sense than the distortion bass that's present.

Thanks guys for comments. Well, yeah, I haven't too much skills and some tracks sounds like sh~.

I will try to ask my friend for help with HR2 Map 15, because I'm unsure what I will do it alone.

Aaahh yes! Now do uac ultra 2 map06!

I generally try not to be so harsh with feedback, but I have to be megablunt this time: the mixing on most of these is just plain wrong. It's loud and clipped and blare-y to an obscenely ridiculous degree, which makes them completely unlistenable. The PRCP MAP25 track, for instance, sounds okay-ish up until 0:54, at which point my speakers detonate and spray aural shrapnel all over my face.

Rant aside, it does seem to have improved considerably in the most recently-posted video (HR2 MAP15), such that the awful mixing in the other tracks I heard is merely a product of "this is from an ancient, sucky stage" -- we all have those. The guitars are still too loud, I think, but it could be a step in the right direction, perhaps.

I just listened to your Into Sandy's City remix and it's honestly one of the worst things I've ever heard in my life. It's just this awful cacophony consisting of what I can only describe as a guitar having a heart attack and instruments trying to forcefully grunt.

I was hesitant to post in here, but expanding upon what Xaser and Tarnsman have already said, the mixing and sound design both are in dire need of work. This extends far beyond the more obvious things mentioned like the signal clipping and the extremely loud guitar that comes out of nowhere about a minute into the PRCP MAP25 remix.

The drums are very midrangey and completely lack presence, which is made worse by the distorted guitars dominating the mix -- learn how to properly use EQ and compression, you can make drums and other sounds cut through the mix rather than being buried. Velocity variation on the drums is also badly lacking; I see you've mentioned using some high-end drum VSTs in some of your video descriptions, but the way they're programmed is creating a very artificial, machine-gun sound in spite of the live drum samples being used. (That is, when the drums are actually audible under the guitars.)

The sound design seems to be very similar in all of the songs, which would admittedly be less of an issue if the mixing was better, but I don't think many of these really play to the strengths of the songs. Beyond that, though, the electric guitars that are the basis of pretty much all of your remixes are noticeably artificial-sounding and the processing on them doesn't really mask it very well. There's a certain type of synth being used in a bunch of these, a filter-sweeping pad of some sort, that also gets rather redundant when combined with the similar guitar tone and drumming style/sound used in each song.

Not only is the sound design very similar from one song to the next, but there's next to no dynamics from one section of these songs to another. Skipping around to different parts of your Doom 2 MAP09 remix, there's no discernible difference in the sonic qualities from one part to the next.

Listening to the remix of the Doom 2 endgame theme, for instance, the bass range is noticeably muddy, causing the bass synth to turn into mush. Turning down low frequencies on reverbs and on instruments that aren't using them (this should be pretty much everything except the bass itself and the kick drum), and avoiding the use of reverb on bass, would help with this.

Over all, there are a lot of obvious newbie mistakes in all of these, including both yours and your friends' mixes. There are lots of guides online that can help get a better grasp on mixing and sound design, but in the end it comes down to more practice and experience.

Guys, thank you very much for comments. It's very It is very important.

I agree that (for example) Map09 is really awful remix or PRCP Map06.
But I want to say what when I got FL Studio, I could not do everything at once very cool. IT's hard, need experience, need skills.

I hear a cacophony of course, but not immediately. Maybe it's effect a long work in the editor, when I listen to the same thing hundreds of times. (So, I must still less to spend time in the program)

But I ask necessarily the views from my various friends and acquaintances. And as you can already guess, some did not care, they could just say "good" (of course it's not friends).

All sorts of books and tutorials has not been canceled. I also study them.

But anyway, now I have no time for work. After maybe I'll get to that. And I will first need to read the manual (again) for mixing and mastering.

P.S.:

Where did you find how that song was named?

DooM wiki :)

It's hard to get valuable feedback on technical things like mixing and audio production without knowing people who are really experienced with it. If you're serious about music, it'd be worthwhile to get an account on a forum for FL Studio users and pick up all the tips you can from there.

Oh jeez. This is a doom forum not an application for a music production corp. Stop crushing his fun. This is the first time I heard hr2s music played in something other than microsoft gs wavetable. Its not groundbreaking but I'm still thankful for it.

40oz said:

Oh jeez. This is a doom forum not an application for a music production corp. Stop crushing his fun. This is the first time I heard hr2s music played in something other than microsoft gs wavetable. Its not groundbreaking but I'm still thankful for it.

Setting aside the glaring hypocrisy here, I posted constructive criticism. Wgaf.

I can see the constructive parts, but still yet, it's a bombardment of paragraphs that can mostly be summarized by "You don't look like you know what you're doing" in a thread that didn't ask for it.

40oz said:

I can see the constructive parts, but still yet, it's a bombardment of paragraphs that can mostly be summarized by "You don't look like you know what you're doing" in a thread that didn't ask for it.

Jimmy91 said:

Oh, come on, dude, they're not that bad. :(

Maybe they are to a trained ear such as yours, but to the rest of us who have listened to the OPL synth, General MIDI and shitty soundfonts while playing Doom for so many years, these are actually pretty decent. So his mixing skills aren't amazing. Wgaf.

Incidentally, I would listen to his MAP09 remix but he's made the video private.

You guys are talking like I insulted DeXiaZ's mother or something. He said thanks for the input, so I don't think he needs defending from criticism and technical input that he said he wasn't able to get from his friends who listened to it.

One of the biggest reasons I'm even remotely qualified to talk about music production is that 10 years ago when I was starting out at about the same stage as DeXiaZ, people who were more experienced than me took the time to tell me that the work I had posted was a mess, explained to me why, and pointed me in the right direction to do something about it.

Also, since when does anyone on this forum withhold criticism that hasn't been specifically asked for? This isn't DeviantArt.

esselfortium said:

This isn't DeviantArt.

<d_e1m1 with guitar replaced by harpsichord>
original midi
do not steal

If someone makes a thread saying "hey look what I made" and what they made is terrible, I'm going to inform them that it sucks. Nothing is worse for an artistic community than being stuck in a bubble of positive feedback. I know next to nothing about music so I can't give the indepth and helpful feedback of someone like Essel. (Hey 40oz, you're right, HOW DARE Essel try to explain what the problem is so that he can improve his work as he's obviously just starting out.) But just like I don't have to be a 5 star chef to say your food tastes like shit, I don't have to be a musical prodigy to know that when I listen to the combination of instruments, notes, chords and whatever in your song, they make me not a happy Tarnsman.

P.S. The Into Sandy's City remix IS one of the worst things I've ever heard, but you should keep it open to the public man, it's always nice to have your starting out shame for everyone to see as a nice reminder of how far you've come.

P.S.S. I listened to the HR2M15 remix and it's about 500 times better.

I think that's totally fair at times, but from what I gathered from the opening post, dexiaz joined this forum because he's a big doom fan, happened to be doing some work with fl studio and making photoshop doom related wall papers, and showed it off here because were the only community that would really appreciate it. I mean I sincerely doubt the fruityloops community has a doom subforum, right?

He just did this out of passion for doom and I'd hate to see someone who loves doom this much to be driven away from the community because were quick to discourage people from sharing their gifts to the community. He aint no 5 star chef but I don't think anyone deserves to be berated or criticized if they show up to a pizza-loving club with a home cooked meal.

If I showed up to the pizza-loving club with a home cooked pizza and it tasted like shit, I'd want people to tell me. Just because something is fan made content doesn't excuse it being bad. There is nothing wrong with making something bad as long as you are receptive to criticism and make an effort to improve if you agree with the people telling you that your product is inferior. However, if something is bad, say it's bad!

I don't expect to listen to a fan made remix and it sound like some professional grade mix but I do expect it to not sound terrible and most of these do, they're just this blaring noise that sounds poorly processed.

DeXiaZ obviously has a lot of passion for this stuff and with enough practice probably could put out some really good tracks, but instead of telling someone to improve we should just say "eh it's good enough, I mean it's only a fan creation after all"

Guest DILDOMASTER666
40oz said:

40oz said:

I'd hate to see someone who loves doom this much to be driven away from the community because were quick to discourage people from sharing their gifts to the community

I'm not trying to run Dexiaz away from the community, at all. I think it's a good undertaking for him to learn his way around audio engineering, and I'm honored that he chose a song I wrote in the process. However, you do not learn from your mistakes by having everyone suck your dick and rub your feet and coddle you.

Being one of the guys that was on the harsh side, I do wish to state that my intent was not to drive him away from production, though my delivery certainly failed to make that known. So I apologize in that regard, sir DeXiaZ. :(

If anything, I'd definitely like to vouch that Essel's advice is solid (and probably gold, too), as he's been doing music production for a while now and is damned good at it these days, (i.e. he knows what he's talking about). What he said is already more than I can ever offer. :P

Fisk I think your post was perfectly justified, it is your song after all. I'm kinda on the fence with Esselfortium's post, it's not all bad, really. Xaser's was a little out of line, but mostly because it initiated a stream of follow up negative response feeding off of it. I obviously wasn't very careful to show who and what my responses were directed towards. Sorry.

I'm just kinda torn because I've seen many threads where Joe Doomer pops in with his first thread to say "hey guys I'm a huge doom fan and I signed up here to get better acquainted with you all and talk about what a great game this is!"

Some of those threads go to post hell but unless the person sounds really stupid about it, we generally welcome doom fans with open arms. This guy does the same thing, except he arrives with a gift of a bunch of doom music he's remixed for fun, and people lash out at him because we've heard better. That's a pretty rotten way to say hi.

I'm not against criticism, even when it's harsh. I asked players to not be shy about telling me if they absolutely hated my maps and they certainly obliged. It was tough to read but I asked for it and so it was fair. I just don't think it's really appropriate here.

Wow...very active discussion. Well, guys, I'm not offended by your comments. All that is said by you - made ​​for me to improve my skills.

Thank you for support!