Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PsychoSpud

Wad problem

Hello. I'm having a problem using some WAD files. I plug them into the batch file I use:
<<cd C:\progra~1\doom\doom2 zdoom -file <WADfileHere>.wad>>
This usually works well, but in some cases, the game reverts to DOOM2.WAD and doesn't play the new WAD file at all. The latest one that failed in this way was Serenity.wad. Am I doing something wrong here?

"Serenity" is a WAD for DooM 1/Ultimate DooM. Your problem is most likely that ZDooM is trying to pair up doom2.wad with serenity.wad, when it needs to be using doom.wad instead. If doom.wad and doom2.wad are in the same directory, or if you have ZDooM's config file set to look for IWADs in multiple directories in cases where the two are in separate places, ZDooM will normally ask you which one to use before you start, but the batch file seems to circumvent that.

You should be able to build a command to use with WADs for the original DooM by adding the "-iwad doom.wad" command....in theory! I haven't used a batch file since the 90s, and I might be overlooking something grossly obvious, there.

Nevertheless, the root of your problem is almost certainly that you're trying to use DooM PWADs with the DooM II IWAD.

Thanks for your reply. I tried copying "DOOM.WAD" over from another directory. I got a text box saying "ZDOOM found more than one IWAD. Select from the list.." The list consists of DOOM2.WAD and DOOM.WAD
Serenity was not on the list.
Where in the batch file would I put that element you suggested (-iwad doom.wad)?
While I've been playing DOOM for many years, I know very little about the techey stuff. For instance, what is an iwad/pwad??

IWADs are the base games--DooM, DooM II, and the two Final DooM WADs, Evilution and The Plutonia Experiment (there is an ongoing project to develop a free/legal user-made IWAD, as well). User-made levels and other add-ons are patch-WADs, or PWADs.

If you have serenity.wad, doom.wad, and doom2.wad all in the same directory now, you should be able to proceed as normal with your current batch file--you'll just have to take the extra step of choosing the correct IWAD each time. So, if you plug serenity.wad into your batch, and then choose The Ultimate DooM when prompted, everything should work. Alternately, you can build separate batch files, one with "-iwad doom.wad" and one with "-iwad doom2.wad", and use the correct one depending on the situation.
Using your example from above, it would look like this:

<<cd C:\progra~1\doom\doom2 zdoom -iwad doom.wad -file <WADfileHere>.wad>>

...or -iwad doom2.wad if the PWAD was for DooM II.

Thanks so much for your trouble. I D/L'd a different wad and am running it now, but I'll try your solution. There are -lots- of earlier wads that I wanna see!
While I play other more complicated games, It's so great to sit down after a hard day at work with a cold one shooting monsters:-)