Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

Heavily plot-oriented wads?

subj. Are there any heavily plot-oriented wads that you think are worth playing even just for the story? I haven't played many ZDoom wads so feel free to name even the most obvious ones, most likely they will be new for me.

By heavily plot-oriented wads do you mean it has to have a story and dialogue for each map or the story actually has to mean something? I haven't played too many wads that are story heavy.

Winter's Fury was a good gzdoom mod that had a decent story altogether. The City of The Damned: Apocalypse, another for gzdoom, may not have been story heavy but there are some notes laying around to give you a feel of the atmosphere.

Tei Tenga is like, the ORIGINAL zdoom plot wad. Maybe Daedalus too. Both are kind of dated but have that late 90s/early 00s charm to them

Thanks for the responses so far.

Larzuk said:

By heavily plot-oriented wads do you mean it has to have a story and dialogue for each map or the story actually has to mean something?

Well, either is fine I guess, just any wads where story is significant enough.

Here are two more wads I remembered today:
TRUST - obviously a Half-Life inspired work, the story is quite simple but it creates very strong atmosphere. And then there is that ending...
The Gateway Experiments, or Doesn't The Military Ever Learn? - a prequel to Prime Detective, which GooberMan is working on right now. Quite entertaining with a lot of neat little details. Don't forget to configure the new keys.

Ralphis said:

Tei Tenga is like, the ORIGINAL zdoom plot wad. Maybe Daedalus too. Both are kind of dated but have that late 90s/early 00s charm to them

IIRC Daedalus crashed on one of the level transitions for me. when you've entered the ship deck or whatever (when you're able to turn on the lasers to shoot down the asteroids), leave on the conveyor belt, and then try to enter the deck again, the game crashes. it did for me, at least, and it didn't do that before.

Well, since Daedalus was released in 2003 there might be some incompatibilities with modern ZDoom versions. Personally, when I play very old ZDoom wads I try to find the intended version of the port if it is mentioned in the readme file. DSDA has a good collection.

I played through Daedalus a few months ago. Found bugs (which have been solved) but no crash.

If you're looking for less serious, funny stories, you can always give Wills a chance. A lot of his wads are really funny. My favorites are Untitled, Weirdo Bizzare, The Archives are Doomed and It Only gets Worse. I had some pretty good laughs with all of these.
Speaking of Wills...does anyone know what happened to him? He's been inactive on Zdoom since 2009 and I haven't seen him anywhere else either.

If you're looking for more serious stuff, I would highly recommend DTS-T. The mapping quality is shoddy at places, and it's no masterpiece, but I was really intrigued by the story. Others I would recommend are the Cheogsh series.I am not sure if Asylum of the Wretched has any story tied to it, but it's a very atmospheric, dark and creepy map, almost to the point of being an "experience" rather than a simple wad.
EDIT:Another highly atmospheric, beautiful wad is Demons of Problematique (I recommend Zdoom or GZDoom software mode). Everything about the way the levels are constructed is simply beautiful in a highly depressing way. I wouldn't recommend the sequel, though. It was a decent wad, but ,at least to me, it seems to have lost the atmosphere, the experience...the foggy, dark corridors. The tunnels filled with blood, the beautiful prologue, the ambient sounds. Something is just missing.

franckFRAG said:

Wait Cybernity =)

Whoa! Some cool stuff hiding on your blog. Good luck. If "Swift Death" is anything like your 3 Heures levels it'll be great stuff, and Cybernity looks interesting.