Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Moustachio

Interception: Part II (Texture Pickings Underway!)

Memfis said:

Here is a lulzy FDA. Super unlucky. :D

nah someone needs to move a certain set of bars back to prevent future dick moves on the player. :P

Snow_8 MD, You might also want to replace DBrain with the falling snow animation then with some of the other animated textures we can stack several onto one texture horizontally.

cannonball said:

Ok then,
http://speedy.sh/nPTXB/Red-Heat.wad
Pretty small map with a mix of metal and hell. It's short but pretty brutal, probably too brutal so might need some toning down.
Run the map with matt534dog's texture wad

Wow cannonball, I didn't play your map, but judging by the demo above by Memfis which I just watched, it is excellent.

cannonball said:

nah someone needs to move a certain set of bars back to prevent future dick moves on the player. :P

Well, actually I died because that lone pinky blocked me and I couldn't jump down. I thought it was pretty funny.

Pottus said:

Snow_8 MD, You might also want to replace DBrain with the falling snow animation then with some of the other animated textures we can stack several onto one texture horizontally.

The OP says this is a vanilla project, which makes this suggestion probably a bad idea.

Using animated midtextures for falling snow means a ton of 2-sided lines, even in a small area, so they don't leave very many segs free to build interesting outdoor areas without breaking limits. And if the area is any taller than 128 units, which outdoor areas usually are, you'll need two or three times as many snow lines everywhere to cover the vertical space.

As an aside, splitting these types of animated textures on a single texture is also a bad idea in vanilla: anything like the aforementioned falling snow, or liquid falls, or anything else that you'd want to tile, you have to waste a lot of segs splitting the lines into smaller chunks to tile it properly.

There are enough animations defined in vanilla that you should be able to give dedicated slots to the ones that need it, maybe reserving one slot as a composite of one-off animations that aren't designed for tiling (like animated computer screens or whatever).

I thought TVR had some pretty cool rainy areas and that wad was vanilla compatible iirc.

esselfortium said:

The OP says this is a vanilla project, which makes this suggestion probably a bad idea.

Using animated midtextures for falling snow means a ton of 2-sided lines, even in a small area, so they don't leave very many segs free to build interesting outdoor areas without breaking limits. And if the area is any taller than 128 units, which outdoor areas usually are, you'll need two or three times as many snow lines everywhere to cover the vertical space.

As an aside, splitting these types of animated textures on a single texture is also a bad idea in vanilla: anything like the aforementioned falling snow, or liquid falls, or anything else that you'd want to tile, you have to waste a lot of segs splitting the lines into smaller chunks to tile it properly.

There are enough animations defined in vanilla that you should be able to give dedicated slots to the ones that need it, maybe reserving one slot as a composite of one-off animations that aren't designed for tiling (like animated computer screens or whatever).

That makes sense, but the snow could still be useful for in windows but I do agree it could easily break limits as well as limit outside area quality.

Memfis said:

I thought TVR had some pretty cool rainy areas and that wad was vanilla compatible iirc.

They're decoration things, replaced by one thing, so maybe we can use it in same fashion.

Updated the texture wad again (just a small update this time):

http://www.mediafire.com/download/3x6bxjigtvbzlu1/i2rsrcs.wad

I fixed a couple textures and replaced DBRAIN with a waterfall texture, as opposed to a snow texture. I think we should probably make a dehacked thing for the snow effects.

EDIT: Some new screens from a map I started:
http://www.theruncomic.com/i2screens/Screenshot_Doom_20130523_164050.png
http://www.theruncomic.com/i2screens/Screenshot_Doom_20130523_164120.png

Textures look all right, and has wide range of them for everyone's needs. And if someone wants or must use certain texture, I think we can make few exceptions to add some?

Just for note, I think I focus on Episode 3. Hellish techbase seems interesting concept...

I can't open the texture wad with ZDoom.

It says "Bad Texture Directory".

MD: Have you worked on MAP01 at all? I have a few tweaks improving the start area.

Fixed the texture wad to work in ZDoom:

http://www.mediafire.com/?3x6bxjigtvbzlu1

@Pottus: If by MAP01 you mean the example map I uploaded, then no I haven't. There really isn't a set MAP01. Whichever submitted map ends up being the most fitting in the MAP01 slot will be the MAP01.

EDIT: Started working on another map! This time it's a dark cathedral type level for Episode 2:

Screenshot:
http://www.theruncomic.com/i2screens/Screenshot_Doom_20130526_151516.png

I've posted before a flying saucer for use in
interception 2.
Now I have expanded this a little, I've made
the DeHackEd for an "alien electrifier", the
replacement for Former Human. The graphic
is a placeholder although it is model based
(If the model is acceptable, I want a skin for
it to make the graphic). This is a melee
attacker, but with a fast weapon (like a slow
chainsaw).
The DeHackEd also replaces the Icon
Thrower with a BFG Spitter.
The link (now I use FileSmelt)
http://www.filesmelt.com/dl/Intercep2.zip
Tested with chocolate-doom, use -merge instead of -file.

Sorry for using intercep2 as a name
I wish that interception II will also replace
the pistol and shotgun with another alien
weapons (e.g. Shotgun will become Pulsator,
a weapon charged by crystals, fires pulses of
light). Also no puff (no bullet weapons, all
are electric and photo weapons). Also
teleport fog must change.

Well it's been a while any progress being made on Interception II? I've had my map on the back burner for quite a while luckily it's 90 percent complete :D

I've kind of put I2 on the back burner as well (for now at least). If anyone wants to keep working on their maps or just plain take the reins for a while, go for it! For now though, I'm backing out to work on other things.