Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
duh

Freedoom starts to get some attention

The recommendation to use DOS Boom instead of PrBoom seems needlessly pedantic to me. If a level doesn't work under Boom it is a bug, but we ought to be just fixing such bugs as they're reported rather than bending over backwards trying to be absolutely sure Boom works. PrBoom ought to be the recommended port to test in.

XCOPY said:

Now regarding to resources like the HUD, I know it's okay, I just dislike the face. Why not asking team tnt to relicense some of their resources under freedoom's license (which is GPL I think, not sure right now)? A reworked version of eternal doom's would be neat.

Freedoom is under the Modified BSD License, not the GPL. Eternal Doom's status bar face is very nice; however, I don't particularly like the idea of reusing material from other MegaWADs, especially something as prominent as the status bar face. Freedoom's material is for the most part all original work, and it would be sad if the project got a reputation for ripping off material from other projects, even if it was reused legitimately and with permission.

XCOPY said:

I know the main issue are the making of sprites (which sadly, some look a bit goofy, mainly the cyberdemon, arch vile, baron/knight of hell and zombies) but what has been done to solve that?

This reminds me. When we release, unless the sprites significantly improve in quality (yup, so many of them do look rather goofy, I agree on that one ...), I suggest we also, for those who prefer the original id sprites, release a PWAD edition of Freedoom that includes the non-sprite resources. (The other freedoom graphics tend to be more than up to snuff, in fact, apart from the visibility issues I noted in the other thread - i.e., the issue being that "variant" textures in a series often do not visibly differ to the same degree in freedoom as they did in doom2.wad - I find they actually tend to be better quality on average than the originals!)

We actually used to have a freedoom_levels.wad build that let the levels be played independently of the new sounds and graphics, but it seems like this has gone by the wayside. In any case, we've got to the point where at least the graphics always have to be released with the levels - in particular, freedoom doesn't always use the same sets of names for animated flat series that doom2.wad did, and at least some levels have had animated flats placed where the specified frame in the wad is one of the freedoom-only ones. These levels will crash the engine, if you attempt to run the level only without the graphics ...

Amarande said:

We actually used to have a freedoom_levels.wad build that let the levels be played independently of the new sounds and graphics, but it seems like this has gone by the wayside.

They're still available, it's just a matter of knowing where to look.

In any case, we've got to the point where at least the graphics always have to be released with the levels

Same place as the levels wad, though you'll need to open it in Slade and import the PNAMES and TEXTURE1 lumps from your Freedoom IWAD before using it.