Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Venk

help with lots of stuff

Alright got a few questions in doombuilder two. Such as how do I make textures that are moving, and how do I use teleports and the change lighting and make stairs programs?

I am so new at this I really am not sure. I dunno exactly what a port is. I have all resources of doom, doom 2, and both Final dooms all together in the doom 2 configuration place

By port we mean Source Port. There exists a lot more modern executables such as ZDoom/Zandronum/PrBoom+ etc. that work on modern systems and have extra features etc. When you create a new map in DB2 you're provided with a large list of map formats such as Doom, Doom2, Boom, Doom in Hexen Format etc. which allow you to build maps designed around various source port features. Some of these allow you to do things in different ways, so for example in Doom format how you make scrolling wall textures differs from Doom in Hexen format.

Venk said:

Oh. Is it possible to use them all at once?

As far as I know, mapping for Vanilla (when creating a map simply choose "Doom" or "Doom 2," not "Doom-in-Hexen" or anything like that) is the only way to make a map compatible with everything.

What Source Port do you use when you're playing Doom? ZDoom, Boom, Doomsday, etc?

If by any means, start with Boom option. This gives enough of cool stuff, without getting too complicated. Almost all source ports are compatible with this, but vanilla stuff (using DOSBox or Chocolate Doom) is out of question.

Or there is ZDoom (Doom in Doom) option, similar with Boom but with few more options. (Almost) All ZDoom based source ports should be safe to use with this, like Zandronum. Loses some compatibility on other ports.

Doom or Doom 2 option is the standard vanilla stuff (for those using DOSBox or Chocolate Doom) and goes with everything, but options are more limited and there are limitations in terms of VisPlane Overflow, Drawsegs and goes on. If you don't understand them, don't split hairs on it. Focus on either two above mentioned to learn the basics of mapping.

But don't yet start to ZDoom (Doom in Hexen) or ZDoom (Doom in UDMF). While it has all the cool stuff, 3D floors, swinging doors, scripts and all the fancy stuff you want, they are quite arduous to work with, and not really best choice for starters. You may need to refer constantly on ZDoom Wiki to get stuff working. It is advisable to start with simpler stuff to learn the ropes.

It would be wise to focus on Boom. While it is not that special, it is good for starters. But your call.

(If you others have something to note or I got wrong, correct me.)

I agree with CorSair when he mentions to start with simple maps first.

I recommend to start mapping for the sourceport and format that you like to use when playing your maps.

Although the format of a map may not be in evidence immediately, it can be deduced when the map
is loaded into an editor.

Starting out to map for any format which you not use for playing would mean that you struggle
getting to know and implement the features of that engine and later you would have to
unlearn those features and struggle to learn and implement the features of the sourceport and
format you want to use in the first place.

If you plan to map for GZDoom or Zandronum, he is correct in saying that you will consult
the ZDoom WIKI countless times.
http://zdoom.org/wiki/Main_Page

If you plan to map for original DOOM format, you will consult the Doom WIKI countless times.
http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Entryway

Those, however, are not the only sourceports.
You might want to try Edge, Eternity, Doomsday, Risen3D, prBOOM, Mocha etc etc.
Perusing this forum you probably learn of other niche engines.