Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Holering

Any good resource of hash values and release versions of Doom?

Does there exist a database with hash values (crc32, md5, sha1) of various Doom resources (wads, exe's, cd releases, floppy versions, etc)? Have a Spanish version of Doom II and was curious if there's any difference compared to the U.S. and U.K. releases. Also curious about various Final Doom releases and Doom releases (I know european Ultimate Doom has the really cool red demon artwork from ID's office); a site with this kind of info would be cool too.

Regards

Very nice thanks!

Couldn't find hashes or info on floppy disc and/or cd images (like what files are included on each official release, what the resulting cd/floppy image should look like, files that might've been mistakenly included, bad cd sectors, data outside TOC, etc.).

For example, my Spanish copy of Doom II contains a LEAME.TXT but no README.TXT in the root folder of the cd (.TXT file is all Spanish); but there is a readme.exe (fully english with no spanish) in the doom2cd sub-folder. Differences like this would surely give a cd image (bin-toc, bin-cue, mds-mdf, ccd-img-sub, img-cue, etc.) different hashes.

Maybe someone could form a database and let people submit their hash values after using a tested and well proven backup method with a log file (and perhaps show what files are included on each disc release including the hashes). Heck we could even add all the third party Doom pwad compilation discs and have the ultimate Doom database; then we could really stay in hell!

Think it'd be really cool if we could build exact replicas of officially released cd/floppy versions of Doom (especially registered Doom floppy version; isn't there a 5.25" and/or 8" disc version?) with different releases.

Holering said:

isn't there a 5.25" and/or 8" disc version?

No, but I heard there's a C64 tape version, coming in about 20 data cassettes.

Holering said:

Think it'd be really cool if we could build exact replicas of officially released cd/floppy versions of Doom.

Why? A replica is not the original and for my taste it is enough to have all important versions neatly in playable state on my HDD.

Yes, I maintain a database of hashes of my personal collection of Doom files and versions. See here.

Columns are: filename, length in bytes, MD5 hash, CRC32 hash, timestamp.

I should really get around to putting together a proper web interface for it at some point.

That's an incredible resource. It's amazing that it's from your personal collection! Many props. When did you get most of those games? Have you shown this in another thread?

It's surprising that no list such as yours has been available in all this time; Doom wasn't like some game that nobody wanted. Correct me if I'm wrong. Okay well, the Doom wiki does have some of these resources but it doesn't compare to your list.

Besides being able to build official release replicas of Doom, I think hashing disc images would help against piracy. You could still have an authentic wad and distribute it illegally. There might be Ebayer's purchasing illegal copies too.

ID software was one of the coolest game companies and I hope they still are despite the huge burst in team members and production expectations.

DoomGater said:

Why? A replica is not the original and for my taste it is enough to have all important versions neatly in playable state on my HDD.

Not everybody got to play the original Doom release which is very different to Ultimate Doom. I was very surprised a tool like downgrd.zip from http://rome.ro/lee_killough/versions/ existed when I first found it. The sound effects are rendered completely different than the latest versions (source ports let you render them the old way but don't do it properly). There's changes in maps that make the game somewhat different and more detailed (Map 02 in Doom2 1.666). There's also source ports like zdoom that change the game too much (the spiderdemon is way too easy with zdoom and other features change the game completely). It may also help develop source ports such as chocolate-doom more accurately (don't think it can play Doom 1.1 wad; I get some kinda STATBAR error or something).

Would be cool to replicate the floppy labels and build your own floppy's that look exactly like the real registered version.

Holering said:

(don't think it can play Doom 1.1 wad; I get some kinda STATBAR error or something)

The status bar is created differently, yes.

You can play doom.wad v1.1 with ZDoom, though, because it patches together the available graphics (STMBARL and STMBARR) to create the final status bar (STBAR). I don't know if any other port implemented a similar thing independently.

Holering said:

registered Doom floppy version; isn't there a 5.25" and/or 8" disc version?

There was a 5.25" floppy option, but not 8". That format was already obsolete by the early 90s.

Would be cool to replicate the floppy labels and build your own floppy's that look exactly like the real registered version.

Won't be quite so cool if you face accusations of forgery and/or copyright infringement. :P

GreyGhost said:

There was a 5.25" floppy option, but not 8". That format was already obsolete by the early 90s.

8" was a 70s format which was practically obsolete by the early 80s for that matter, overtaken by 5.25", 3.5" on home computers and even by 3" (on some oddball systems). It also never evolved beyond 500K capacity, and was never a popular home/personal computer format. It only found use on minis/mainframes.

Gez said:

The status bar is created differently, yes.

You can play doom.wad v1.1 with ZDoom, though, because it patches together the available graphics (STMBARL and STMBARR) to create the final status bar (STBAR). I don't know if any other port implemented a similar thing independently.

BOOM just flopped a copy of STBAR into the EXE file to account for it. EE still has it in eternity.pke. For copyright reasons it'd be better to not have it there though obviously.

Holering said:

That's an incredible resource. It's amazing that it's from your personal collection! Many props. When did you get most of those games? Have you shown this in another thread?

I have a big collection of Doom stuff that is a partial source. I originally started the collection by using the Downgrade patch to get to v1.1 and then going through all the upgrades to get all the different versions. Since then I've managed to get copies of the install files for most versions, though. I've also fleshed it out with the shareware files, source code and other Doom-based games.

There is some more information here about the games that are listed in the hashsums CSV. The notes section at the end is slightly out of date as I now have original copies of Lost Episodes, Perdition's Gate and Hell to Pay, but I haven't added them to the hashsums files yet.

Many thanks fraggle! Will try to come up with a tool or something but if there's legal concerns converting from official wads to other official versions (no step ups like converting a shareware to a registered version of course) then maybe it won't be so easy. Really glad you had this resource; thanks again fraggle.

Regards

chungy said:

If you're trying to create patches to go from any to any, you can just use this: http://www.doomgate.de/content/files/ladopato/index_en.html

(Hashes alone wouldn't help you anyway in doing it)

Please note, that the LaDoPaTo is out of date and has some issues with Win 7/64 . Please try Peters Iwad Patching tool, which I've mentioned here:http://www.doomgate.de/content/files/ladopato/