Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ribbiks

Stardate 20X6 [Now on /idgames]

ahh, that reminds me I do have an obselete animdefs lump and some unused textures I could remove. Thanks!

So I guess R2 isn't the final version :p, though none of the changes will affect any gameplay

I keep eating my words saying each version is final, but anyways, had some more bugfixes:

Download [Beta_R3]

Some issues that still remain:

- in zdaemon voodoo scroll speeds are slower, causing some encounters (last arena of map03, RK route in map07) to be painfully slow.
- in zdaemon singleplayer for some reason the player starts got mixed around, player ended up starting in voodoo closet. Works normally on every other port.

tl;dr fuck zdaemon

I'm not the world's biggest fan of slaughtermaps but I really enjoyed going through this. Really great-looking set of maps. :D

I played on HMP and I really love how the encounters can be really hectic but the amount of monsters used is JUST enough to always be perfectly escapable, plus the amount of room you have to maneuvre is pretty much spot on.

I also do love the focus on purple, and the way that green has been replaced (almost) entirely by the new palette. If I might make a suggestion, however, if the colormap is edited to make the purple always at full brightness, the purple really pops and provides a really cool contrast with the dark brown rocky structures of the rest of the WAD's aesthetic.

Check it out: http://jimmy.the-powerhouse.net/WAD/stardate_colormap.wad

Check out how these areas look with it: http://imgur.com/a/Yk7R7

Cheers, Ribbiks. Very unique and interesting set of maps right here. :)

I might consider trying this wad out since I've not really played a 'slaughter' map yet in Doom, and also that there's a DWMegawad Club thread up on this so a livestream on my channel may yet occur. From what I've heard it sounds quite good.

Really nice epic stuff. You might consider crediting the title and intermission music in the readme. I'm particularly curious about the title piece.

Now on /idgames!

Download [/idgames]

Thanks again to everyone for the comments/criticisms/bug-reports.

Note that for demo purposes this wad is identical to betaR3, just renamed.

I may eventually update the file on /idgames to incorporate the following changes:
- inclusion of jimmy's colormap as an optional addendum
- edits to the textfile, for example I forgot to thank scalliano for the gldefs -.-, also as requested I'll credit the title music, can't recall what it is off the top of my head.
- purple status bar? hah, crazy enough that it just might be awesome.

My impression:

Not bad. Must have taken great efforts to rework the textures.

A pity it confuses Risen3D with HRP a lot, which keeps several green elements (nukage floors, torch models) but still uses purplish dynamic lights for torches; if I switch to "basic doom mode", the dynamic lights are gone too.

In UV, the monster density is as deadly as in Quake II: Pax Imperia. What I don't mind...

What I do mind is monsters popping up in your face. That breaks immersion, IMHO. I prefer surprises I don't see appearing; or obvious teleporting.

action 19 is my lifeblood, I'm not too great at immersion. I think I'll tone that shit down in future maps of mine though. anyways..

LigH said:

Risen3D with HRP

I'm not familiar with either of these things, but if you know a way to fix the graphics for this port I'd definitely be open to incorporating it

In this case, I believe, Abbs should know that Risen3D should be aware of texture changes and avoid using 3D models or textures from a High Resolution Pack for them. I'll notify him via email.

30 enemies left, and in the exit room -.-

hot damn that was an excellent demo ggg, you found some pretty interesting ways to cheese through some hard encounters :). many tricks I never thought were possible or plausible (RK arena, final arena strategies were very risky, manc tower was also a neat idea). I like how you went the extra mile and got the 'kudos' key

Also I sincerely apologize for that platforming room.

Long maps like this can have a separate fun "puzzle" game to them, trying to figure out stuff in doombuilder. The 5x vile part was deadly, so I double exploited it (kill 1 "beneath ground" vile with splash damage from above, then go around and enter from the back so you don't get locked in.. not sure if either were intentional). Another deadly part were the 8x mancubuseseseses. My first idea was bump into one by the switch without waking others, but they're so fat that you can't, so eventually I came up with that exploit to bunch them together. You can probably get the kudos key with a vile jump, didn't try. lol @ platforming part, that's like my doom weakness.

After playing this with the megawad club I have to say this Ribbiks:

This set, was fantastic. Great difficulty as well as some gorgeous visuals. It compares to Combat Shock 2, but slightly easier, (and with more purple). Several times I could get swamped even if I knew what I was doing while playing. I must say, holding the BFG until the very last map made my experience much tougher, and I played on HMP here (imagine how many failures I'd have on UV :]). There were some landmark battles here and there, such as the final fight on MAP05, the Tricks-and-Traps-esque area in MAP03, the red key and finale of MAP06, and the arena with the BFG on MAP07. Though I took a long time beating most of the levels, I did so because I expected lots of trouble along the way and tried handling it good. In fact, most of the handling I went through on the levels was by infighting, and that seemed like a central theme to gameplay. Overall, I gotta say, this was damn good and worth playing. Love the purple here, even the invulnerability powerup and BFG shots were purple. Congrats on a nice set of levels.

Abbs told me that he will try to make Risen3D support it as good as possible, which may require a specific addon WAD (made by Hawkwind, like for several other projects), in addition to palette change detections.

Sectors 1233 and 1234 on MAP05 should have the secret flag removed. One is unreachable and the other redundant. That's at the mancubus staircase secret if that helps any.

Also, MAP06 is proving quite a challenge so far.

hah right you are rayzik, I must've broken that during the last minute changes before release. doh.

thanks for the alert :)

damn ggg, you have an awesome knack for finding safe ways to deal with difficult encounters. I loved your strat in the final room, that was clever, as was using the towers in the distance to sink more bfg tracers into the AVs.

grats on beating it :)

as was using the towers in the distance to sink more bfg tracers into the AVs.

Heh. At this point, it should be called "the gggmork maneuver".

After iddqd & save runs & doombuilder study, that was the only way I managed to beat the end rev/imp/vile part, especially with enough success rate to do everything before, and that, all in one go. You can still die from the cybers easily but it seems a lot safer than staying down there. Sorry I got kind of slow/cautious and forgetting how to get to secrets (some of which seemed easier to come back later w/ bfg) towards the middle/end, but didn't have it 100% memorized and I kind of have to psychologically prepare/ load remembered strategy before some fights (like when I rehearsed running away from the end vile horde and hiding behind the pillar multiple times, lol, but easy to get stuck on architecture or something dumb while running backwards). You're somewhat forced into a linear sequence without being able to easily run past fights, like that first cyber could infight while you do other stuff.. but not really since the enemies would walk away from the cyber if you went that way, and you could vile jump instead of hitting the stair switch but too risky in a map that long. Also tried never shooting so warping monsters would remain dormant and not warp.. it helps skip battles in some places but the blue key pit down with the columns/ imp horde pretty much prevents doing it all the way.

gggmork's strategy for that final sequence is a lot more effective than my brute force style. I barely even survived that last bit, and it was the part where I died the most. Eight times I think, but not a problem, because I ended up saving a lot of time by playing through the rest of the map so many times. Still, MAP06 was pushing my limits on skill from the get go, but I think MAP07 was straight up luck on my end. The RNG gods smiled on me or something.

Regarding the Risen3D issue I've been advised by GJ that, for the moment, to just use basic doom mode.

I was playing on GZdoom with only cosmetic mods and I could not get past the exit arena in map 03, then I tried to load it again, but with my own weapon mod which has weapons of roughly 2x-3x more power than vanilla weapons. Died again, and again, there is too many monsters and no space to dodge. 2/5 (**°°°)