Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Death Egg

Shadow Warrior free 'forever' on Steam

hardcore_gamer said:

Sweet!

I wonder why its only Shador Warrior that's being made free, though.

Still awesome.

It's not as marketable as Duke 3D.

hardcore_gamer said:

Sweet!

I wonder why its only Shador Warrior that's being made free, though.

Still awesome.

I'll take a guess and say that is a way of promoting the new Shadow Warrior game.

Meh, I bought it from GOG for $3 several months back. Nice to see it's free now, though I'm happy to have a copy that runs through DosBox instead of Steam.

From what I've seen, it's just the main game that's free. It doesn't include the expansions you'd get if you bought it from GoG. Free is still good though.

chopkinsca said:

From what I've seen, it's just the main game that's free. It doesn't include the expansions you'd get if you bought it from GoG. Free is still good though.

The expansions have always been free.

Technician said:

There's more than one expansion? I only know of Wanton Destruction, which I did get free.

I've been running my original red book audio cd copy with the SWP port.

Kirby said:

Meh, I bought it from GOG for $3 several months back. Nice to see it's free now, though I'm happy to have a copy that runs through DosBox instead of Steam.

The Steam version runs through DOSBox and doesn't need Steam to be active to run it. Same as every other DOS game I own on Steam, except Shadow Warrior actually has a configuration option.

Technician said:

Ah, I didn't know that. I don't know much about the game other than the weapons that doom modders like to rip.

Avoozl said:

I've been running my original red book audio cd copy with the SWP port.

Isnt that port horribly broken? Not theres much choice in the matter..

Ragnor said:

Isnt that port horribly broken? Not theres much choice in the matter..

You have to use a previous version as the latest had a save crash issue, but there really isn't much difference between the two versions.

This is the first time that I can play it without any issues. It was a big dream for me to play Shadow Warrior.

...and I must say, this game is incredibly great! I think it might be the better Build-engine based game. Even though Blood is also amazing.

I'm gonna play it for the first time right now! :D

EDIT:

Dragonsbrethren said:

The Steam version runs through DOSBox and doesn't need Steam to be active to run it. Same as every other DOS game I own on Steam, except Shadow Warrior actually has a configuration option.

This is really, really good to know. Thank you for mentioning that!

Yeah, just noticed it was DOSBox. Of course, I'm not sure what else I expected. I'm still getting mouselag, so maybe I'll take another shot at faffing about with BMOUSE.

Trying it now (I had problems with the controls).

geo said:

I want to like the game but the single key strafe is just awkward for me with a mouse. I remember single key strafing was awesome for Doom... because I didn't have to use a mouse.

I could really get into it more if it weren't for that. Maybe there are 2 key strafe options that I didn't notice?

It's A and D by default... Also, you can change them if you follow the configuration option when launching from Steam.

Yes you're right. Thanks :-) I'll do that now.

Mr. Freeze said:

I hate how the view shoots upwards if you run up a slope.

If it's like Duke3D you can turn that off... Looking into it.

EDIT: apparently view tilting on slopes only happens with mouse aiming disabled? Haven't confirmed it, but it sounds about right. Also, mouse aiming (up/down) is pretty useful / supported in Build engine games.