Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Linguica

Strange picture from Quakecon 2K1 presentation -- my analysis

So id apparently released a collage of screenshots from Doom 3. A lot of the shots are too blurry or small to make anything of them, but some of the images included in this collage give some hints into what Doom 3 will be like:

I can't tell what that thing in the front is, but behind it appears to be a wall decal that has an "X" on it. What could this mean? Why would a military base have a big "X" on the wall? Maybe "X" is referring to some secret project that UAC is undertaking, or maybe it's a hint at the name of the game. "Doom X," perhaps?

At first I thought this part was just showing off the specular highlights in the Doom 3 engine, but then I looked closer and I noticed something familiar about it:

That's right, it's a pentagram. So what is this thing? It looks like some sort of weird hairy star, so maybe it's a teleporter than the demons have constructed? This is the first indication I've seen of a teleporter device in Doom 3, or Doom X, as I should be calling it now. There's something white near the center of the star as well -- a maggot or some sort of worm, perhaps? That would support the idea that the pentagram shown there is part of some sort of organic, demon-built structure.

OK, I almost overlooked this one, until I looked more closely. This appears to be the face of some new demon in the game. You can see two beady little eyes, and what looks like a conical head protruding to a semi-pointy nose, with a wide, flat mouth almost hidden in the darkness underneath. This monster doesn't look particularly scary to me, except for those beady, lifeless eyes, which remind me of a shark. Maybe it's placeholder art, or id has something up their sleeve...

Here we see what looks to be a triad of lasers hitting a wall at an angle. It looks almost exactly like the Predator's targetting system, which doesn't bode well for the game IMO. Why is id Software stealing other people's ideas for their monsters? I mean, the laser-triangle targetting is cool and all, but they should come up with their own ideas.

Wow, look at this one. This must be another new monster. Seems strange that there are no eyes or mouth apparent -- in fact, the only really prominent feature on this one is its giant hooked nose. The coloration reminds me of the archvile, so maybe this is some cousin of that old Doom 2 monster? The big hooked nose suggests extreme old age, so maybe this is like a senior relative of the Archvile, perhaps a boss monster.

A beam of some sort, nothing spectacular.

Well look who's messing with the img tags, oh the irony... ^_^

You know, this reminds me of that ALoD where a old lady claimed she was seeing ghosts when in fact there were a bunch of crappy faces product of the lossy compression of her digital cam.

Originally posted by Linguica

A beam of some sort, nothing spectacular.

it would have been something spectacular if the head were on fire =]

999cop said:

it would have been something spectacular if the head were on fire =]

how could iD skip such an important detail? SHAME ON THEM!

These forums would be a better place if anyone and not only the almighty administrator could make that kind of post :|

Linguica said:

I can't tell what that thing in the front is, but behind it appears to be a wall decal that has an "X" on it. What could this mean?

Oh no, it means that Doom3 will be only released for the X-Box! :o)

Tetzlaff said:

Oh no, it means that Doom3 will be only released for the X-Box! :o)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
/me kills everyone at Microsoft

Zaldron said:

To our regret, the page and/or file you requested could not be found on doomworld.com.

This either means :

1. The requested item never existed, and you merely typed it wrong.

2. The requested item exists no longer, which you should perhaps ask the webmaster about.

3. You're surfing the web again while high..

[an error occurred while processing this directive]

You've really cut yourself in half this time ling.

Yeah, im officially back in the doom universe again (been doing some dimension surfing lately, was first in the quake2/3 realm then went to the fallout realm, and now im back).

Welcome back. :)

The hell? Stupid URL. Apparently Flathead killed it or something. Anyway it was a link to some id employee saying that was bullshit on Evil Avatar.

EDIT : Aha, I'm right. Jim Dosé words :

Just to clear things up, this is just a rumor. Don't believe that kind of thing unless it comes from directly from id.

It would be nice to have a new hat, though... ;)

Ok, a little bit clearer then: We are planning to release Doom on the PC first. I have no knowledge of the release plans for Quake 4, and so can't speak for it.

Welcome back Sir "Experiment-with-the-logical-center-of-your-brain-before-a-zombie-eats-it-for-breakfeast" galahadwizard :-]

FlatHead said:

I will not stand here and take these acquisations ! Poo to you with nobs on, sir.

That's fine by me because mine are accusations not acquisations. And if it wasn't you it was me.

Zaldron said:

That's fine by me because mine are accusations not acquisations.

You know something's wrong when you have to take spelling lessons from Zaldron.

FlatHead said:

You know something's wrong when you have to take spelling lessons from Zaldron.

o rellay! y ist here a problim with thiss?

Lüt said:

Heh, we have to get Danarchist to personally do something about this...he lives in Washington.

Wow, I should hang out on these forums more often.