Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hypnotoad

Rocket Launcher - frontend for windows

Slight criticism: you can't tell it to load DEH files via -file like you can WADs. It'll simply refuse, because it isn't a whitelisted file extension. A little annoying since it means I can't play Alien Vendetta with the custom map names in the automap unless I type out the file path manually in the custom commands section.

Skulltag engine support would be good - or is there some functionality there by somehow using "include skulltag data files"?

invictius said:

Skulltag engine support would be good - or is there some functionality there by somehow using "include skulltag data files"?

I think that's for Zandronum, to play skulltag mods.

Forget skulltag, dude, zandronum supercedes it.

yeah zandronum is just skulltag with a new name, and it is actively being worked on while skulltag is dead. different name but same port

definitely going to check out the new release though! been using rl for a while now. thanks for this :D

Hmm, I'm not one for launchers personally, but just to point it out in case someone's in the same scenario: I wouldn't be able to use the launcher effectively (judging from the screenshot preview at least) since I have pwads stored in multiple folders (got a bit of a hierarchy system, e.g. /maps, /mods, etc). It'd be inconvenient to have to switch folders so often.

[If it works differently in practice, that's cool though. ;) ]

Shadow Hog said:

Slight criticism: you can't tell it to load DEH files via -file like you can WADs. It'll simply refuse, because it isn't a whitelisted file extension. A little annoying since it means I can't play Alien Vendetta with the custom map names in the automap unless I type out the file path manually in the custom commands section.

You should be able to load it as an explicit command line argument in the 'additional command line arguments' box, note that some source ports (e.g. chocolate doom) use the '-deh' command line for deh files. If you don't want to type it out every time, you can click on save to save a .rocket configuration for AV that will load everything automatically.

Xaser said:

Hmm, I'm not one for launchers personally, but just to point it out in case someone's in the same scenario: I wouldn't be able to use the launcher effectively (judging from the screenshot preview at least) since I have pwads stored in multiple folders (got a bit of a hierarchy system, e.g. /maps, /mods, etc). It'd be inconvenient to have to switch folders so often.

[If it works differently in practice, that's cool though. ;) ]

I think a lot of people seem to want to use this as a doom file explorer, but I envisioned a different practical use for this. I designed Rocket Launcher to be an intermediary or go-between, from when I double click on a wad file (or saved .rocket file) before I play the game. This way, instead of having the wad load in your default doom engine without any control of the parameters, upon double clicking on the wad, instead you get a range of options, engines, IWADs and parameters to choose from, as well as the possibility to load additional pwads if necessary (note clicking on "Add File from Different Location" allows you to add files from anywhere, not just the 'pwad' box) and save these parameters for later use; this at least makes my life a lot easier. I don't intend for this to replace your normal file explorer, to explore my own wad collection I use windows explorer as usual, and just have the wads load in rocket launcher on clicking them so I can further specify parameters. Hope that makes sense!

Nevertheless I'll look into having greater file exploration options within the launcher for the next release.

I'd really like to see a 'recent history' list of different file combinations loaded. So, say, one day I play zdoom with doom2.wad, eriguns.wad and no music and the next perhaps PrBoom+ with Back to Saturn X. A list of history showing both these combos where I can just click the first combo (the zdoom one) and the launcher will automatically load all those files again. Is that something you'd consider adding?

Tormentor667, your ideas are interesting and I may look into implementing some of those features at some point, but in general I'd say what you're suggesting is out of scope for this project at present.

Oh noooo... </3

Joke aside, what kind of features do you think are out of scope?

ON3i11 said:

For some reason it's not recognizing Doom Legacy 1.45beta1.

Here are screenshots of the problem.
http://imgur.com/d9x5DAK
http://imgur.com/bBOwPJE

Thanks for notifying me, I'll be sure to fix this on my next release (whenever that will be, have a bunch of other projects on my plate at the moment).

edit: a temporary solution might be to rename your executable legacy.exe.

I've used this launcher for about a couple of months and all that I can say is that it's really really good! Just one thing I want more: it would be great if it supports the option 'search subcategories' when searcing for pwads. It will be much more helpful to gamers since some gamers (including myself) make a folder for each mod (or according to some classfication one prefers) to store pwads. It'll save huge amount of time. I've read your post, but the fact that the option will be useful to many doesn't change. (If someone knows a frontend which supports such an option, let me know since I need it!)

I'm really enjoying it! Thanks a lot.

[Edited] There's an arcade frontend called 'Mala', and IIRC it has an option to search for every game files starting from the given location (corresponding category, subcategory, sub-subcategory, etc). That might be also an interesting feature if possible. I don't know if it's easy or not though.

sudo459 said:

I can't seem to get dosbox to read my conf file using this. Any suggestions?

Are you editing the right DOSBox config file? There should be a global one in your app data folder somewhere, I believe dosbox provides a bat file which locates and opens this file for you.

Incantator said:

I've used this launcher for about a couple of months and all that I can say is that it's really really good! Just one thing I want more: it would be great if it supports the option 'search subcategories' when searcing for pwads. It will be much more helpful to gamers since some gamers (including myself) make a folder for each mod (or according to some classfication one prefers) to store pwads. It'll save huge amount of time. I've read your post, but the fact that the option will be useful to many doesn't change. (If someone knows a frontend which supports such an option, let me know since I need it!)

I'm really enjoying it! Thanks a lot.

[Edited] There's an arcade frontend called 'Mala', and IIRC it has an option to search for every game files starting from the given location (corresponding category, subcategory, sub-subcategory, etc). That might be also an interesting feature if possible. I don't know if it's easy or not though.

Thanks Incantator. I'll look into having better pwad browsing built into the launcher, originally I intended for people to use windows explorer to add pwads, with the pwad list box being a last minute addition, however given the number of people that have requested better in built file exploring I'll see if I can make that happen for the next release. Unfortunately I have many other projects to work on at the moment, so I may not get around to working on this project again for quite some time.