Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Soldat

Megawads: You pick 'The Grand Five'

What are your top five (EDIT: up to ten) megawads ever? Anything with at least 20 levels can qualify. The only exclusions are the original (Ultimate) Doom I and Doom II can't be picked, and it must be a wad that has seen final release. Oh, and no joke wads. Anything else, even commercially or once commercially sold stuff, is fair game.

At some point I may do a tally in order of most mentioned. Just as a possibility.

Post away!

Ps Oh, and single player wads only.

ksutra, sodfinal, scythe2, pl2, av

When will we see something equally awesome? It has been more than 3 years since the release of Speed of Doom.

Memfis said:

ksutra, sodfinal, scythe2, pl2, av

When will we see something equally awesome? It has been more than 3 years since the release of Speed of Doom.

While 'equally awesome' is quite subjective, based on the five you listed I'd have to presume you have the taste for quite a lot of action, even slaughter at times. That being considered I can't really think of any megawads in progress to squarely fit that bill.

If I had to make mention of releases in the last three years that might partially satisfy the style, I'd say from 2010 Epic 2 has some such maps, and is quite hard. From 2011 there's PRCP but it's not as much in that aspect as PL2 as it's gameplay is somewhat closer to the original Plutonia. Jenesis has perhaps some levels to fit the bill though, as does KSSHT, which is all small maps but lots of action. Finally for 2012 we had CC4 which had some maps potentially in that style. But these I'm listing are just ones that come to mind as possibilities. No definites.

SF2011/12 are obviously full of slaughter, but to varying qualities and tastes.

Tied first place Alien Vendetta / Icarus

And then in no particular order depending in what mood I'm in:
Memento Mori, Memento Mori II, Requiem, Speed of Doom and S.T.R.A.I.N.

I know I broke the rules and added extra but I really can't bring myself to dropping one... or two. :P

Interesting picks there. Aside from AV and perhaps MM2 I found the other three to have a lot of bland architecture, but then again gameplay is most important.

Alien Vendetta
Eternal Doom
Icarus
Cleimos 2
Memento Mori
Memento Mori II
Requiem
Doom II Reloaded
Hell Revealed II

I have no limits.

Alien Vendetta
Speed of Doom
Plutonia Revisited Community Project
Community Chest 4
Scythe/II/HR/II/MM/MMII all tied

No less than 20 levels, huh... Okay then.
Expanded to a 'top ten' of sorts with the topic being changed accordingly, no particular order.
Alien Vendetta, Scythe, Scythe 2, Kama Sutra, Khorus' Speedy Shit, Epic 2, Hell Revealed 2, Plutonia 2, Survive In Hell, Speed Of Doom.

I don't want to put any iwads in the list, don't ask why. This doesn't mean I dislike Plutonia, it's just something different. So, pwads only.

Posting in a D-Laded thread.

In no particular order...

Requiem
Hell Revealed II
Alien Vendetta
Speed of Doom
Hell Revealed

The choice is hard to make though, as there are plenty of excellent megawads out there ( Plutonia 2, Plutonia Revisited, Claustrophobia 1024 and its sequel, Kama Sutra, Scythe II, CC4, DTWiD etc. ).

Memento Mori 2
Speed Of Doom
Alien Vendetta
Kama Sutra
Scythe

Shame Vanguard stopped at 13 maps. Because those maps are seriously good quality.

Alien Vendetta
Back To Saturn X
Darkening E1+E2
Memento Mori 1
Requiem
Reverie

Mmm.. from these, AV is the only one I've not completed. I've played it up to level 17. Maybe I should go through it someday...

Five? I can't even pick one. I have completed 17 Megawads to date and not a single one of them is good all across the board. Usually there are ~10 good maps and there rest is a pile of shit. Most of the time there are filler maps and E3 usually turns into an annoying slaughterfest. Kama Sutra for instance would have been really good if it wasn't for E3.

All of my favourite WADs are mapsets with top-quality levels only. Which also raises the question, why is there such a push for full 32 level Megawads? Ask me, it's much better to make a couple of levels but really good ones.

Maybe if Huy ends up with 32maps in DVIISE, that would be the first for me.

IIRC Huy said that he kinda moved on from the slaughterfests though and is more interested in different stuff now. (so the final dv2 might be very different from the first edition)

Ho hum, this is gonna be tough to decide. There are so many great megawads out there that I like. But if I was forced to chose, I'd probably pick:

Alien Vendetta
Hell Revealed II
Community Chest 3
Plutonia
Scythe II

I find it hard to make a top 5. There's a lot of great stuff out there, much of which isn't necessarily 20 levels. There are a ton of brilliant single maps out there that are fairly unknown too, but if we're talking big:

Momento Mori
CChest 3
Hell Revealed

Then there's garbage out there like Doomed 2 Die that I only like because it was my first PWAD. (That or Hellrun, I can't quite remember)

dannebubinga said:

Dv2 is a huge slaughterfest just as kama sutra.

No it's not. And neither is KS. I hate empty slaughter maps with no personality. And I hate random hard maps put together as E3. There are multiple factors to that.

Suffice to say, I haven't played a Megawad that would be amazing across 32 maps (there's one, original DOOM, that's it). Some were amazing across one episode or so. Haven't seen three amazing episodes yet.

Touchdown said:

I hate empty slaughter maps with no personality.

then why do you play them with -nomonsters?

Whenever there is something against slaughtermaps, it's always the most bizzare reasons that get pulled up. Empty slaughtermaps? Double-you-tee-eff?

I'm not really one for 'top-fives', but...

valkiriforce said:

Doom II Reloaded

Nice to see this on someone's list - a real favourite of mine, and seemingly much overlooked.

durian said:

I'm not really one for 'top-fives', but...

Nice to see this on someone's list - a real favourite of mine, and seemingly much overlooked.

Doom 2 reload is excellent, but there are a few dud levels in there hence why it's off my top 5 but only just. Touchdown would enjoy this as there are not really any slaughter moments :P