Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Holering

Need help using vanilla doom behavior in zdoom-gzdoom

Can someone confirm which option makes the spider mastermind difficult like it was originally (including shooting other monsters)? [color=blue]EDIT: This is enable with compat_hitscan "true"; thanks to Graf Zahl.[/color]

Can't figure out how to make the sprites appear as small as they were in vanilla doom (enemies are very tall up close and I've seen their heads go into some ceilings in pwads like alien vendetta). [color=blue]EDIT: Only gzdoom is affected. Zdoom looks fine as mentioned by Gez's post below.[/color]

Also have an issue with the rockets. In vanilla doom, you can get invincible and reach almost impossible areas by shooting a rocket against a wall and launching yourself (faster than strafe-running) to them. In zdoom rockets don't push you back when invincible and the only way to get to these secrets is waiting for invincibility to go off and take real damage; close rockets don't push you back when invincible. [color=blue]EDIT: This only happens when cheating! Not if you get invincibility. Thanks Gez.[/color]

When enemies are below a player and a rocket hits them too close, the damage will actually push the player up to the air instead of straight back. What options change this to behave like vanilla doom?

Curious if you can disable the "a secret has been revealed!" sound without deleting the sound file.

Suggestions and tips for closest to vanilla doom settings (mouse behavior and sensitivity for instance; hiding the menu) would be greatly appreciated!

Regards

Start ZDoom/GZDoom, go into options, then compatibility options, then set compatibility mode to Doom(strict).

Alternatively, open your ini/cfg file and find "compatflags2", set the value to 3. Find "compatflags" and set the value to -1172751401. It should look like this

compatflags2=3
compatflags=-1172751401

when you're done.

Also, you should add

+dmflags2 16777216

to the command line parameter when starting ZDoom/GZDoom. This allows you to switch to an empty weapon, like Vanilla Doom.

Blanketly setting a strict compatibility setting is going to bite you in the butt if you ever play a non-vanilla map. For example, a few people (myself included) have thought a map was broken because a door didn't open; in fact it was because that was a Boom map and compat_useblocking was on.

Holering said:

Can someone confirm which option makes the spider mastermind difficult like it was originally (including the other monsters)?

That's a fake difficulty based on hitscan failing to hit because they fail to scan. If you do want it though, set compat_trace to on.

Holering said:

Also can't figure out how to make the sprites appear as small as they were in vanilla doom (enemies are very tall up close and I've seen their heads go into some ceilings in pwads like alien vendetta).

Sprite sizes aren't changed.

You might be using GZDoom rather than ZDoom. OpenGL performs clipping differently from software. The thing is that the software renderer will overdraw sprites on the floors and ceilings, whereas the OpenGL engine will not. So monsters that have a sprite a lot larger than their hitbox, such as the revenant, may get their head cut off by a ceiling lower than the sprite but higher than their hitbox's height; whereas in software the head is drawn anyway.

Holering said:

There's also a big problem with rockets. In vanilla doom, you can get invincible and reach almost impossible areas by shooting a rocket against a wall and launching yourself (faster than strafe-running) to them. In zdoom rockets don't push you back when invincible and the only way to get to these secrets is waiting for invincibility to go off and take real damage; close rockets don't push you back when invincible.

The discrepancy does not happen with the invulnerability powerup; only with the godmode cheat.
And it will not change.

Great. Thanks. Here's what I've come up with so far in my vanilla.cfg

dmflags2 "16777216"
compatflags2 "3"
compatflags "-1172751401"
sv_nocrouch "TRUE"
sv_nojump "TRUE"
COMPATMODE "2"
compat_hitscan "true"
compat_trace "true"
compat_badangles "true"
compat_corpsegibs "true"
compat_crossdropoff "true"
compat_dropoff "true"
compat_floormove "true"
compat_invisibility "true"
compat_light "true"
compat_limitpain "true"
compat_maskedmidtex "true"
compat_mbfmonstermove "false"
#compat_minotaur "true"
compat_missileclip "true"
compat_mushroom "false"
compat_noblockfriends "true"
compat_nodoorlight "true"
compat_nopassover "true"
compat_notossdrops "true"
#compat_polyobj "false"
#compat_ravenscroll "true"
compat_sectorsounds "true"
compat_shorttex "true"
compat_silentinstantfloors "true"
compat_silentpickup "true"
#compat_soundslots "false"
compat_soundtarget "true"
compat_spritesort "true"
compat_stairs "true"
compat_useblocking "true"
compat_wallrun "true"
AM_COLORSET "1"
AM_SHOWMONSTERS "FALSE"
AM_SHOWSECRETS "FALSE"
AM_SHOWTIME "FALSE"
CON_SCALETEXT "1"
DIMAMOUNT "0.5"
DIMCOLOR "00 00 00"
LONGSAVEMESSAGES "FALSE"
M_USE_MOUSE "0"
SECRETMESSAGE ""
SHOW_OBITUARIES "FALSE"
VID_VSYNC "TRUE"
WI_SHOWTOTALTIME "FALSE"
WIPETYPE "1"
r_drawtrans "FALSE"
r_particles "FALSE"
cl_bloodsplats "FALSE"
cl_missiledecals "FALSE"
cl_maxdecals 0
cl_capfps "1"

Didn't realize godmode was treated differently than invincibility. I also just noticed zdoom's sprites have vanilla size after your post, Gez (was using gzdoom). Thanks.

What a great source port zdoom is. It's a shame every other port uses sdl_mixer for midi. So many mods-wads are available and the support is insanely good. No wonder it's considered the best. Major props to the crew!

Regards

I hope you're not looking for a 100% pure vanilla Doom experience with ZDoom, because that's not the source port you'd want for that.

Also, when changing compatflags, keep in mind that ZDoom maps may be designed with the option being set to off.

It's normally not recommended to permanently set specific compatflags because there will be maps that are negatively affected by that.

BTW, the flag responsible here is not compat_trace, but compat_hitscan.

Holering said:

What a great source port zdoom is. It's a shame every other port uses sdl_mixer for midi. So many mods-wads are available and the support is insanely good.

ZDoom has all those compat options is because it deviated ALOT further from Vanilla Doom than most other ports.

Most other ports don't need half as many compat options because they never changed so and so behaviour in the first place.

Graf Zahl said:

BTW, the flag responsible here is not compat_trace, but compat_hitscan.

Oops, sorry about that. I keep confusing these two.

Blue Shadow said:

I hope you're not looking for a 100% pure vanilla Doom experience with ZDoom, because that's not the source port you'd want for that.

It is what I look for, for single player. However I use linux and every source port seems to use sdl_mixer which gives broken music playback (it works but it's got too many problems that destroys proper music rendition). There's no option for me other than to make a cfg file with as close to vanilla doom settings as I can get with zdoom, or use Dosbox (has finnicky cpu cycles that fluctuate unevenly in auto or max mode (even hard settings aren't right); gives unsteady feedback to input from player).

Zdoom supports so many wads and customizations it's practically a crime not to use zdoom. Even with vanilla doom in mind it supports the best sound playback, better randomized pitches, and the best midi player out of any source port; sound and music is one of the most important aspects for rendering a vanilla doom experience.

You'd get the best of both worlds (vanilla doom, and custom community wads) with a definitive doom.cfg, doom2.cfg, finaldoom.cfg; even doom_1.1.cfg, doom_1.666.cfg and so forth. Settings stay independent from default zdoom settings and get loaded with "+exec nameof.cfg". Wads like alien vendetta call for something like doom2 1.9 (with limits removed) or chocolate-doom otherwise it becomes too easy and doesn't play how the authors intended. There's too many wads that aren't right without vanilla settings.

If vanilla settings are more possible it'd be great to know and have a HOWTO on imitating vanilla doom as close as possible in zdoom.

EDIT: Are melee attacks still different from vanilla with the above settings (I think you can kill cyberdemons with a chainsaw much easier in zdoom if I'm not mistaken).

Holering said:

Zdoom supports so many wads and customizations it's practically a crime not to use zdoom.

Thank god we don't have Source Port Police, yet.

Quasar said:

Thank god we don't have Source Port Police, yet.

No kidding. HE DOESN'T USE DECORATE! SEIZE HIM!

Thankfully projects for lesser-known ports are usually better due to dedicated groups wanting to show their worth on their niche port of choice. Think Caverns of Darkness or Nimrod.

Caverns of Darkness was for its own dedicated engine, wasn't it?

I'm glad Doom modding got generalist advanced ports such as Legacy, ZDoom, or Eternity instead of falling into the Wolfenstein death pit where each mod needs its own exe...