Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ComicMischief

Nex Credo: vanilla Doom 2 WAD

You all like vanilla WADs, right? Hot(ish) on the heels of Sinister Intention comes my next level set, Nex Credo.

NEX CREDO?
Yeah, it means 'faith in death'. There may or may not be killing in this suckah.

Will it offer any features?
Holy hell it will! 32 levels! Shooting! Gameplay! Doom!

Want new textures, scripting or gimmicks? This .WAD will be too hardcore Vanilla for any of that rubbish, playing like some bizarre trip to 1995-with-texture-alignment. Except not rubbish.

I suppose you want some screens? Gotcha covered.

MAP01 - The Approach

Shoot stuff! Enter a base! Thrilling!

MAP02 - Waste Conduit

Barrels! Enemies! Nukage! Whoopa!

MAP03 - Inversion Duality

Two routes to choose! Two different experiences!

MAP04 - Jade Tumult

Green textures! Not brown ones! But green ones!

MAP05 - The Basin

Switches! Platforms! Exclamation marks!

MAP06 - Nexus

Adventure! Excitement! Other things a Jedi craves not!

MAP07 - Conquietus Explicitus

Keeping it Simple.

The sky, a placeholder at the time, has been changed since these screens where taken.

The sky could use some work, it has many big single color chunks.
The use of vent grille texture on the second shot doesn't make much sense if you care about that.
I could talk about how setting yourself a goal to make 32 maps without a VERY precise plan is a bad idea but meh.

Memfis said:

The sky could use some work, it has many big single color chunks.

Oh, it's a placeholder. I'm aware that it could be better, I've another sky lined up in future that should be a lot better. This one just conveys the atmosphere as I'm mapping, that's all.

Memfis said:

The use of vent grille texture on the second shot doesn't make much sense if you care about that.

Mars is very cold. The vents let some of the cold air in what is otherwise some kind of energy conduit as a cheap coolant. Helps that the Martian air is also very dry, too. You could argue that it's also dusty and that these vents would be clogged very easily, but this is a game where you can shoot outrunnable rockets at floating space tomatoes.

Memfis said:

I could talk about how setting yourself a goal to make 32 maps without a VERY precise plan is a bad idea but meh.

I have a plan overall, that's okay. Not saying too much, I don't want to reveal the entire WAD before it's done.

Thanks though. ;)

Cheekily bumped my own thread because, like the bounder and cad I am, I added two new screens to the initial post. Huzzah!

Yeah, this is coming on. It's happening. Usually when I reach MAP07 I'm running out of steam (Murderous Intent, Sinister Intention) but with this one I am ready to do MAP07 and good to go with the rest. BRING THIS SUCKER ON! :D

Looks nothing like it at first...But Map04 reminded me of quake. Circular ceiling holes...The style of the windows in the back. I like.

Looking like something I want to play. Really like those outdoor screenshots.

Thanks, and likewise with your project. I'm not going for quite the same level of detail you are, it'd drive me insane (though your maps are rather nice indeed).

Similar goal though; 32 vanilla maps that aren't stupid-long. My kinda megaWAD. :)

Well, I'll be posting as 'Jayextee' from now on. Same comic mischief, but hot damn I remembered my old old password.

Cross-posted from the Doom Picture thread, here's an in-progress Chocolate Doom shot of MAP08. It will be a bit platformy, because I love to mix it up like that.

Looks good. Hopefully you do all 32 levels. That is a hard goal to complete.

It is indeed a hard goal to complete, but I'll give it a shot.

As I've said, my main drag has usually been that I peter out after 7 levels, and making that Dead Simple homage/boss level is usually a "finally, I've done it and can STOP" moment.

Not so this time, I'm closing in on finishing the architecture of MAP08, plus MAP12 has been finished for some time (like, the second map finished) and I have a fair few ideas for what follows. I'm going to do all 32, even if I need to put the wad on hiatus for a while and detox (maybe get other projects done).

I can do this. :)

Looks really good! Always looking out for good looking vanilla classic-styled WADs :) I could lend a hand to music if need be.

PRIMEVAL said:

I could lend a hand to music if need be.

Ooooh! I may have to hold you to that one, because it's been years since I touched a midi editor and I can't fathom Anvil Studio. I'll think on this and PM you if that's okay? :)

Murderous Intent 2 is sadly not with us any more; it was left on the HDD a few computers ago, as my interest in Doom and making Doom levels waned and I regret that.

The textures were garbage compared to what I can do now, and the maps... well, I stuck what I could remember of the layouts into MAP04 of Sinister Intention, save for one neat set-piece that made its way into MAP03 of this here beauty.

Murderous Intent 2 may one day happen, but it will be (obviously) from scratch; a good thing though, I've learned a lot in ten years that could really make it special.

Good to see you, Kristus/Ebola. :)

Aaaaaaaand, MAP08 is finished. It's the platformy one, and those platform sections turned out alright; there's more I could do with the idea though, and I think I will return to it in a later map.

Here's a screen of one of the non-platformy bits:

Getting the pistol-start balance on this one was an utter bitch, as following a MAP07 I assume that players with carryovers have basically all the weapons already (and a handful of ammo for each).

It seems that my attempt to be the best vanilla Doom mapper of the year is failed.

Anyway, nice job, keep it up! There'd be good if another vanilla megaWAD would be released.

I don't know about that, both you and Jimi are doing amazing things that I can't wait for the eventual full release of... then there's the awesome work done on things like D2TWiD and Back To Saturn X (the latter of which I've yet to get around to playing). A lot of cool-looking vanilla stuff still on its way.

Which pleases me immensely.

Looks neat pretty classic and nostalgic. Good luck on getting 32 maps finsihed. Should be doable since you do this for vanilla and sticking to stock resources(not counting the sky you use). And why not keeping it simple, improves your chance of succes.

Thanks Dutch, the classic 'feel' is what I'm going for. I think I've definitely got it in the bag as long as I keep doing as I am; 9/32 maps completed, a further 2 layouts on paper and general concepts for about 6 more. This is happening! :D

Aaaaaand, Nex Credo is 10 maps strong now, with MAP01-08 done, plus MAP11 and MAP12.

75% there until proper megaWAD classification, and a third of the way to my goal (not counting secrets, as they're going to be all kinds of fun and I'm leaving them til the end as a result).

I'd party, but the weather lately has been all kinds of "uhhhhhhhhdontwannadostuff".

Thanks again, my good man.

I'm bumping this with a TITLEPIC that I made, which looks a bit like an album cover or something.

'Firebutton' is the name of a YouTube gaming channel I affiliate with (since it's a bunch of friends, why not?).

I'm still working! ;)

MAP09 (Untitled, as yet)

This one wrestled me every step of the way until the end. I had an idea for something involving a bit more platforming and (hopefully) a unique level progression, but it was difficult for me to actually realise it in map form. But I soldiered on and it is done.

Ammo and health balance are tight in this one, too.

This is really good looking stuff, man. It's right up my alley in terms of visuals. It's reserved but looks like the design had gameplay in mind. I'll be tracking this one in hopes of a full release.

Bumped my own thread, because I can (and there's stuff to say).

I did make a titlepic but I've since found out it's almost identical to the titlepic of Phobos: Anomaly Reborn -- an accident, since I've not played P:AR (as an aside, think I should?). So I'll be making a new one at some point. Might paint the damn thing instead of using awesome NASA photos, hahahah.

Another thing is the discussion over in the Megawad Club for Back to Saturn X about the difficulty and things, made me think about Nex Credo and how I'm staging some of the encounters whilst trying to maintain a very solid and steady difficulty curve. I've spent the last day tweaking some of the early levels and giving them a mild bite, as a result.

And so, I think I wouldn't mind a couple of testers on this one. Is anyone game for this? What I'd be looking for is a few people of various skill levels, with different play styles -- ideally I'd get me a hardcore speedrunner and a WAD-newbie keyboard player in there.

Bumping my thread, but no major updates so to speak.

Truth is, I've lost a bit of steam with this. I've had Capellan kindly testing this thing, and I'm actually getting more negative feedback than good and it's taken the wind out of my sails -- he does raise some good points, and there seems an awful lot to fix.

I still kinda want to complete this, but I don't know if it's worth it -- should I get some second-opinion testers, or just power through? What do you reckon?

I'd say pull in the ambition, power through to release a reasonable size episode (You're up to MAP12 - that'd do!) and polish it up a bit. Draw a line under the project when you've got a complete and playable experience, then move on to something new when you next get some enthusiasm for an idea, taking the lessons you've learnt from this experience on board.

Basically the same thing I did with Sinister Intention, then? ;)

Didn't really hurt that project. Capped it at seven levels, it got a good enough Newstuff Chronicles review and is currently rated at 4-and-a-half stars on the Doomworld/idgames interface. Only problem is that MAP12 is such an episode-beginner it hurts. I can't end on that.