Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ComicMischief

Nex Credo: vanilla Doom 2 WAD

FINISH THIS!

Because the screens look really good. The more time goes on, the more I appreciate a good vanilla megawad.

I think an appropriate compromise would be to get it to about 15 levels, telling the story of the last episode at a fairly quick pace, then focus on the polish. Also Capellan always makes very valid points IMO when it comes to feedback, especially seeing what he tends to write for DWMC and the like, plus he is a very long time member. They should be well deserving of consideration.

Also doing public alpha/beta releases once all maps have been designed (and updating as critique is considered) definitely wouldn't hurt.

If you use the secret exit line for MAP15 you finish with a text screen.

It's hard to advise what to do without playing the levels but you seemed really keen on it before so maybe it's just a case of sucking up the critisism, fixing the faults and starting again.

I slept on the issue. Woke with a head full of clarity, although that could be the post-cereal foodgasm speaking. ;)

LodiB88 said:

Also Capellan always makes very valid points IMO when it comes to feedback, especially seeing what he tends to write for DWMC and the like, plus he is a very long time member. They should be well deserving of consideration.

Agreed on this. I won't say it cuts deep; in fact, everything he says makes me think "yeah, he's right - I should fix that" and I'm fine with that. The main problem though, is that having perceived myself to have done so many 'wrong' things, it seems like I have more and more work piled up on this thing which kinda sucks my gusto a little.

purist said:

It's hard to advise what to do without playing the levels but you seemed really keen on it before so maybe it's just a case of sucking up the critisism, fixing the faults and starting again.

It's just that there are so many faults, as I say. Problem is, Nex Credo aims in two directions at once; nostalgic and semi-experimental. The mindset is that I took a look at the two Final Doom wads, plus the Wraith Corp megawads (Perdition's Gate and Hell to Pay, both of which I love) and thought to myself "it must've been neat as hell being around back then", and wanted to make a simple 32-level vanilla megawad of my own as if I were there. Me being me, it does some strange things that toy with convention; MAP03 is the first of a few levels that only require 2/3 keys, MAP05 has a nasty 'puzzle' throughout that can screw the player at the end of the level if they don't figure it out, MAP08 is a fair amount of platforming (plus 2/3 keys again), MAP09 has the player walk the same path three times (each opening a new section with more monsters), and so forth. The whole thing is drip-fed at a slower pace than the iwad games, too -- 12 levels in and all the weapons and monsters still haven't been seen.

It's the kind of thing that's almost guaranteed to polarise people - get good and bad responses, and I think Capellan's is one of the bad ones. Not a great start; though Capellan's a good guy and I value what he says.

I think the real issue here is, do I have the strength of character to pull through and deliver what I intended to; or do I buckle and morph it into something more conventional?

That's the kicker here, and why I feel reluctant to continue until I've come to a conclusion. Which is a shame, because;

Obsidian said:

Anything special planned for the secret levels? =D

I did, actually! I won't say anything, and they're a bit more low-key than something like Go 2 It, but I did indeed think of a couple of somethings I thought were neat.

Oddly enough, I thought of an Icon of Sin battle for this that to my knowledge hasn't been done before. Would've been a great finale, I may still have to make this; even if for some other megawad somewhere.

But yeah, back to the matter at hand; I guess I'll think on it some more. Because if nothing else, things like this:

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

FINISH THIS!

Because the screens look really good. The more time goes on, the more I appreciate a good vanilla megawad.

...is a pretty good thing to see. Thank you. :)

If you need an Icon, I'll give you a hand. ;-) Considering an Icon on a non-MAP30 slot, I believe you can find that on MAP07 of the UAC Ultra beta, but that's the only example I know.

This bastard of a level, has taken months to complete. MONTHS. The end result is a fun romp through a fairly open-plan level that I'm kinda proud of.

From top-left, and clockwise:

1 - Berserk start. This is hectic for pistol-starters (all my maps are excruciatingly-tested with a pistol start), as I don't like to simply stick a shotgun at your feet as you start.
2 - LOLDOOMFURNITURE. Don't expect too much of this.
3 - Lighting ain't my strongest point, but sometimes it looks alright. By and large, the humans are staying indoors out of the way of the carnage here.
4 - Those barrels look inviting, don't they?

joe-ilya said:

When will you release a beta? Can I be a playtester?

When 30 maps are completed, and maybe. I'll think about that closer to the date.

I gotta say guys, thanks for the enthusiasm. :D

Jayextee said:

2 - LOLDOOMFURNITURE. Don't expect too much of this.

Screw the couch, I'm all about that window lighting on the floor...

Like Magnusblitz, love the windows casting the light in the top right of that screen.

oh i didnt realize this was a megawad, good luck with that haha

Well, I'm halfway through already. Gimme another year, it should be done - despite crises of faith like my latest. ;)

Oh, disregard my previous post. I get so tired of long-standing projects, I really do. They hang over my shoulders like an albatross and provide invisible little unfinished-work anxieties that really bug me.

And so here's basically 11 maps, in beta form.

I won't be making more maps, and only interested in making changes to things where the levels are broken.

Cheekily bumping this topic, since everyone seems to have missed it given that I edited the above post instead of making a new one with the beta download link.

There's a couple of fixes I need to do, report anything breakable here.

And not the crazy MAP08 or MAP09 shortcuts. I like 'em.

Played a bit, good stuff so far. On map03 I would hide the sound of monster popup sectors by merging them with faraway dummy sectors. Also I noticed some bad use of block sound lines, for example again on map03: you open the door to the outside, see two zombies with their backs facing you, so you start shooting at one of them and the other doesn't react. btw hate the way you align wider-than-128 doors, just aaargh lol.
I think I'll play the rest in multiplayer because I already died 2 times and nowadays I usually lose interest after the first death in single player, got too used to other people being able to finish the map if I die. So I guess I should disable multiplayer weapons on my server? They seem to be there for deathmatch rather than coop, although I see some coop-only monsters as well. (ouch, cyber on map01)

Oh, there are co-op monsters scattered around -- usually ones I really liked when testing the difficulty at UV (I place a lot of monsters and few ammo and 'scale down' from there according to my own ability. Seems fair) that I just flag as 'multiplayer'. Right now, multiplayer is only as reliable as co-op starts being there, it's another thing I'll be fixing for the final release.

I played through this. It was a joy.
I really like your simplistic approach to mapping, detailing and crafting gameplay. There isn't any ugly structure at all, at the same time. The game flows well and there aren't annoyingly scripted situations everywhere. I think I could learn a lot from your maps. :) The best map was MAP06 for me. Fun nonlinear shootage of a decent scale.
Also the rather fluent introductions to monsters and weapons are done well. You managed to preserve the pistol + shotgun only gameplay for quite a long time and kept it interesting, low bow for it. Well revenant usage thorough the wad, too. I like the secrets, some are easy and some difficult.
On the other hands, there were some nasty moments, you know. The double/triple AV trap with no cover being the first. Another notable one was the map after the death exit. The death exit was unnecessary IMO. I was quite tight on resources when I entered it, the previous maps did a good job at cutting your ammo down. I still have to say, it was a great map and a great turn in pace, which impressed me once again.
Overally I think it's a pretty good mapset with classic feel. Despite my expectations, it also entertained me for quite a long time. Still it's a shame that you're putting so much effort into a map and only to provide a hour (or two at max) long gameplay for a few interested people. Thank you for the release, though!

Wow, thanks! Glad you enjoyed it.

scifista42 said:

On the other hands, there were some nasty moments, you know. The double/triple AV trap with no cover being the first. Another notable one was the map after the death exit.

Ah, MAP05 and MAP10.

MAP05 has a certain thing going inside it; those nine blue columns. They correspond to every other set of blue columns.

MAP10 is a strange one, I admit. My idea was that, in most Doom levels ever you're encouraged to shoot and kill everything. I tried to make a (short) map where the opposite is true.

Played this, pretty good stuff. I agree that it has a classic feel to it, both in terms of gameplay and visuals. And it works, it looks good for the most part and combat is fun and flows nicely. Ammo seemed pretty tight in almost every map but I barely found any secrets so that might have had something to do about it. It gets reasonably challenging in the later maps but the lack of nasty traps makes this pretty FDA-friendly. Especially loved the use of Archies in these levels, they were always a legit threat and usually accompanied by other monsters. The elevator at the end of map08 was one particularly memorable instance.

FDAs for everything except map06 (had to cut recording at that point for a while): http://www.mediafire.com/?gv9c00r29cxrqwe

Only died once in map02 and a bunch of times in map10 but the later maps are filled with close calls so they're good for laughs if nothing else.

Sounds like I royally fucked myself with my obsession for switches in map05, but thankfully a tactical (read = accidental) AV-jump saved the day. Map07 I play terribly but someway somehow get out alive. Map10 I just eventually pacifist through since I couldn't figure out the secrets, but I added a bonus first exit -maxdemo too that I recorded afterwards.

Obsidian said:

If you need an Icon, I'll give you a hand. ;-) Considering an Icon on a non-MAP30 slot, I believe you can find that on MAP07 of the UAC Ultra beta, but that's the only example I know.

Spoiler

super sonic doom - map29
Hadephobia - map20
Damnation - map24, 27 plus 30

P.S:

I would love to see a megawad of Icon maps from you, Obsidian. One day.

Anyways, it's a pretty good map series so far - keep it up.