Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Rayziik

Doom IWAD music

I did a search but couldn't find anything helpful, so here I ask:

Is it frowned upon legally (or whatever) to take the music out of Doom IWADs to place in a PWAD as replacement music?

I mean, it's not like I'm taking it to use in a completely different project. It's just a lot simpler to do than to write out a mapinfo or something like that.

I think the general sentiment is that it is perfectly fine. I know I've done it a few times in the past too. I don't have the knowledge of the specifics as to whether it is technically "legal" or "illegal" though.

As I recall (someone will undoubtedly correct me if I'm wrong) id's guidelines for borrowed content have been relaxed somewhat, so you can borrow one IWAD's content for use with another. Just try to avoid doing so on a wholesale basis.

GreyGhost said:

As I recall (someone will undoubtedly correct me if I'm wrong) id's guidelines for borrowed content have been relaxed somewhat, so you can borrow one IWAD's content for use with another. Just try to avoid doing so on a wholesale basis.

I don't think their policy with this has changed, but it hasn't ever been enforced to my knowledge. Either way, resource mixing between IWADs has always been pretty common in the community, for better or worse. Including some music tracks is acceptable enough.

Okay, thanks guys. I just wanted to make sure no-one would bust my balls for "borrowing" some of the original music.

GreyGhost said:
As I recall (someone will undoubtedly correct me if I'm wrong) id's guidelines for borrowed content have been relaxed somewhat, so you can borrow one IWAD's content for use with another.

What was "relaxed" is that until a discussion related to KDiZD and an ensuing confirmation by Todd Hollenshead, some had thought that using id stuff as a base was not allowed or strictly not legal, because old licenses only said you could "build new levels" and didn't mention resources, but newer licenses did mention them; in the strict legal sense or by the letter of the license, id specifically allows the reuse or modification of id content from the addon's IWAD.