Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
MegaTurtleRex

Running modern Doom ports directly through Steam

Not sure if everybody already knew this but I found a way to run ZDL directly through Steam, just replace DosBox.exe in the base folder with ZDL.exe and rename ZDL.exe to Dosbox.exe

This lets you use Steam Overlay on the modern ports (sorry Chocolate Doom :\) so you can take screenshots, and it also keeps track of game time.

You could probably use other launchers or ports directly (replace DosBox with the GZDoom exe for eg.)

I wrote a guide for Steam gamers who don't know much about setting up games http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=150214500 but I think most people here should be able to figure it out for themselves :)

Steam has an option to add non-Steam games to your library (bottom left of your Library page). This will let you use the overlay ingame, no other tweaks necessary.

Yeah, the only real advantage this method has is that Steam will keep track of your play time and you can upload screenshots to the game hub easier. (You can also get the Steam overlay in DOSBox by using OpenGL or OpenGLNB as your renderer.)

I have Doom 64 EX in my Steam games, I bet it confuses people a lot. I dont have other ports though, as you cant really set up the wads you use from Steam.

Ragnor said:

I have Doom 64 EX in my Steam games, I bet it confuses people a lot. I dont have other ports though, as you cant really set up the wads you use from Steam.

You could add a launcher instead of a port.