Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AndrewB

The /newstuff Chronicles #77

This is a week of strangeness, as four very odd new WAD files slither their way into Newstuff.

• AndrewB Sucks It by Ralphis - - This is a small single map for Doom 2. Taking place in a bloody metal room, you fight through a horde of Imps and a Cyberdemon. There is a new title screen graphic replacement as well as some music replacements.
  • Openprojects by Lament - - We have something very different this time, as this WAD is more symbolic than playful. It includes a very small map, which tells a tale of two IRC channels. It may be a helpful guide if you ever find yourself in search of real-time DOOM discussion.
  • GooberMan's DeathMatch Series by Ethan Watson - - A very uniquely-designed deathmatch map for Doom 2. Taking place in an abandoned asteroid mine, this large map has dark ash-filled caverns, hallways, and some neat special effects. Each weapon is placed in its own area, and power-ups are placed cleverly. Special effects include slopes, surveillance cameras, a skybox, and a rocket-launching machine. The music from Map25 of Doom 2 is used. Requires ZDoom.
  • Doom - The Arcade Game by Ethan Watson - - The strangeness continues this week. A single map for Doom 2, but very non-typical. It's a simple game where you must sink a few imps on their battleships using 50 bullets, unless of course you decide to cheat. It's surprisingly difficult, but gives you an intermission screen if you succeed. Requires ZDoom.

I was bothering pickle to make Build 2 in the shape of a wanger just recently. I see that Ralphis has beaten pickle to the punch :). Openprojects hits the nail on the head with its point. Too bad Lament didn't add #zdaemon and #admin.

either that's an inside joke i know nothing about or somebody doesn't like andrewb :P and why the hell did my settings for doomworld's appearance revert to the standard?

I think AndrewB missed the buttons in that D-TAG map... use the buttons to line up a rocket cannon from your ship, fire a rocket, hope it hits an imp, if it doesn't change the settings and try again.

Indeed, wiping out the imps with 50 bullets would be a bit tricky, but with an inexhaustible supply of rockets... Although I find one of those life rafts helluva tricky to get bang on the nose. I guess that's why they are there. :-)

Hmmm thinking about it, maybe you could use a script to remove the player's ammo entirely on this level to underline the point.

Anyway, a cracking little level.

Sir Fragsalot said:

I was bothering pickle to make Build 2 in the shape of a wanger just recently.

UDM1 MAP18

The original deformed scrotum.

And E3M2 from the original doom as the hand that "rocks the cradle" so to speak.

Heh I gibbed the last Imp with first try, it was a direct hit too. :)

Captain, use these coordinates to sink the battleship!

94 45 64
150 60 64
55 20 89
50 30 92
115 55 82
105 55 82

Could someone explain the openprojects wad to me please? I don't have doom installed right now, or the time to install it.

Jon said:

Could someone explain the openprojects wad to me please? I don't have doom installed right now, or the time to install it.

You start in a room with 2 telepoters. One maked as #doom and one as #zdoom (as seen in the screenshot).

The #doom teleport leads to a room with wolfenstein textures (swastikas), a few ss nazis and a cacodemon.

The #zdoom teleport leads to some kind of bar with a baron as bartender and a few marines chillin' out in there. If you exit the bar the map ends.

If a regular from #doom made a map designed to insult people, _everyone_ from #doom would be called a bastard. However I'd just like to point out that the reverse is (also) not true, and people from #zdoom are not all immature and unskilled lamers like lament.

Jon said:

If a regular from #doom made a map designed to insult people, _everyone_ from #doom would be called a bastard. However I'd just like to point out that the reverse is (also) not true, and people from #zdoom are not all immature and unskilled lamers like lament.

Yeah, that's pretty much it.