Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kontra Kommando

"Sum of All Evil" Art Exhibition

http://www.euronews.com/2013/05/31/holocaust-and-mcdonald-s-influence-chapman-brothers-exhibition/

http://www.designboom.com/art/the-sum-of-all-evil-by-jake-and-dinos-chapman/

If this exhibition comes to your area, I would recommend checking it out. It sort of reminds me of “The Triumph of Death” by Pieter Bruegel. Dinos and Jake Chapman are the artists who created it. They say it is a satire on the moral bankruptcy of society, but viewers should not read into it too far.

I wish someone would hire these guys to do concept art for games.

Too much edge for my liking.

Using the holocaust to depict big business satirically is the lowest hanging fruit on the tree.

Intriguing images, but I can't shake the feeling that these dioramas were designed to shock more than convey anything meaningful.

I don't like McDonalds.

However, using them as shorthand for capitalism when there are so many worse corporations out there -- Monsanto, Goldman Sachs, Chiquita, Halliburton, the supermajors, etc. -- is simply shortsighted.

Kontra Kommando said:

Come to think of it, I had McDonald's the other day. lol

What's it like to be worse than Hitler?

Gez said:

I don't like McDonalds.

However, using them as shorthand for capitalism when there are so many worse corporations out there -- Monsanto, Goldman Sachs, Chiquita, Halliburton, the supermajors, etc. -- is simply shortsighted.

Most dullards probably have no idea who those corporations are.

Come to think of it, McDonald and the holocaust are probably the best two choices to ensure the audience gets the message, if hamfisted.

Technician said:

Most dullards probably have no idea who those corporations are.

Come to think of it, McDonald and the holocaust are probably the best two choices to ensure the audience gets the message, if hamfisted.

Too hamfisted. It becomes trite. The audience might get the message, but they won't care about it.

I like that the journalist in the first link wrote :

"Despite the fact that the Chapman brothers have amassed millions thanks to the lavishes of the global art market, they are equally renowned for savaging the moral bankruptcy of our consumerist society."

It's ironic, kind of like how that fat lump of shit Michael Moore made millions off of a moive critizing captialism.

Nevertheless, the artists did say it should not be read into too deeply. Moreover, it's not really a pre-req that art must mean something. Some of the greatest works of art have very little meaning to them. Much of the great works of the renaissance were religious paintings that were commissioned by wealthy bankers, as insurance for salvation after death. Art only began to have this bohemian, meaningful content, and social commentary after the French revolution. Prior to that, great artists were subjects of royal courts that did paintings for rich snooty assholes (and they got paid well).

Looks like a first year college student's "edgy" art project, with a slightly bigger budget and higher attention to detail.

Ooooh, big corporations are evil, et cetera. Give me a break.

Interesting!

Cant help but feel some of those images have a very Wolfenstein kind of feel to them!....though obviously not the intension lol

Art only began to have this bohemian, meaningful content, and social commentary after the French revolution.

Molière says hi.

Phml said:

Molière says hi.

That's impossible, because he died hundreds of years ago. Besides why would he want to talk to a peasant like me, when he was in the company of French aristocrats and the king? If you're using him as an example to refute what I said, it's kind of a poor choice, since he was backed by royal authority, and he was just one man. I was talking more on the lines of art movements like realism, and impressionism.

DoomUK said:

Ooooh, big corporations are evil, et cetera. Give me a break.

Big business is old hat, dude. Enlightened kids today are fighting the patriarchy.

Apparently McDonald's and Nazis don't mix.

ComicMischief said:

I know a couple of guys who can paint and sculpt better Warhammer custom stuff than this. Just saying.

Based on your avatar, I wouldn't trust your opinion on what looks cool.

agreed with gez, this sends a message of roughly the same intensity as a rebel teenager wearing a che guevarra t-shirt.