Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest DILDOMASTER666

n64house.wad - A Map from 2008 (tm)

Guest DILDOMASTER666

Here's a map I made back in 2008 or so, and I did some minor updates last night to "finish" it. This is more or less a speedmap that took me a grand total of about ten hours to do from beginning to end, not including the four and a half years spent not working on the map.

Tested reasonably thoroughly in vanilla and chocolate/renderlimits, shouldn't have problems with any modern ports. Doom 2 map01. If you have it, I recommend playing this map with the PSX Doom sounds and music (MAP01).

n64house.wad v1.1

screens:

Guest DILDOMASTER666
Memfis said:

didn't like the part where you pick up blue key and die

Explore more, the doors aren't marked for a blue skull key

i'm stuck with the Red Skull, the room it opens just has a little computer in a corner and no switches that I can find :(

i get some strange artifacts on these stairs

nice map too, I like the area leading to the archvile, and I found the blue armor :)

Guest DILDOMASTER666
MegaTurtleRex said:

looks nice, is there a Nintendo 64 in it or something?

It's an in-joke way back from 2008 between me and Bashe. There is a playstationhouse.wad, n64house.wad, saturnhouse.wad, 32xhouse.wad, and gbahouse.wad that exist in some form somewhere on either of our hard drives, and if I can find them all I'll release them with some kind of witty monicker I guess

As for the little room behind the yellow skull door, you're supposed to "use" the COMPTALL panel on the east side of the room, and blow a hole in the wall with the rocket launcher it provides. The tutti-frutti artifacts near the SSG room are probably from some last-minute texture fuckery I did moments before putting the map on SendSpace. I'll fix it and reupload sometime today.

oh it does too, I had to switch from ChocolateDoom to get it to work though.

In ChocolateDoom pressing on it did nothing, Doomguy didn't even make the 'hmph!' sound, but he does on nearby walls. Do you think I have a bad setting somewhere or is this just a ChocolateDoom thing?

cool map though, the blue skull trap made me feel like Indiana Jones, full set would be quirky and interesting lol

Guest DILDOMASTER666

Thanks for identifying a does-not-work-in-intended-port problem. That's an invalid line action causing the platform to not lower when pressed. ;)

Here's an update addressing the issues you pointed out. Now it should be fine to complete in vanilla.

Thank you for posting this map.

Fisk said:

Explore more, the doors aren't marked for a blue skull key

I don't think this argument holds up. Players with any experience know only key colour matters, and shape is irrelevant. Any exceptions are obvious; large, advanced Boom (or later) maps, certainly not vanilla.

Also, knowing the thing was a trap I was able to dart in and grab the key before the floor caught me. And guess what: even though it was a blue skull it still opened the doors! ;-)

Anyway, personally I don't like instant death traps, but if you're set on keeping it then at the very least please put some indication of danger. A player corpse and a couple of pools of blood on the teleporter pad should be enough.

On a different topic. If the map is vanilla, neither translucent linedefs nor shooting rockets to break down walls will work in intended engine. Only hitscans (bullets), not projectiles, trigger shootable lines. Regardless I don't think you can expect people to go round shooting random walls just to see if they collapse. Doom thankfully does not make much use of that kind of puzzle, and when it does it is much more obvious about it. Maybe for hiding a secret area it is acceptable but not to actually finish the map.

One last thing: I think the switch, that opens the bars in front of the skull switch by the two arachnotrons, should be made more obvious. Honestly I don't think I would have finished without reading the spoilers in the thread, and abusing a map editor...

Guest DILDOMASTER666
RjY said:

I don't think this argument holds up. Players with any experience know only key colour matters, and shape is irrelevant. Any exceptions are obvious; large, advanced Boom (or later) maps, certainly not vanilla.

Firstly, thanks for giving feedback! I really do appreciate it.

As for the blue key, what I meant is, the only door marked for a skull key in the map is for the small "computer room"... And there is clearly a skull key visible almost from start that matches it. I guess it wasn't as obvious as I could have made it, that's absolutely right. Maybe I will update the map with a more obvious and inescapable trap for the blue skull so there are no false pretenses about its purpose. ;)

RjY said:

Also, knowing the thing was a trap I was able to dart in and grab the key before the floor caught me. And guess what: even though it was a blue skull it still opened the doors! ;-)

I know it's possible to use any key shape to open any door of that color in vanilla. ;) I banked on players being unaware of the danger of the blue skull key and sweeping in to attempt to grab it but not reacting quickly enough to exit. I shouldn't have done that I suppose. :P

RjY said:

Anyway, personally I don't like instant death traps, but if you're set on keeping it then at the very least please put some indication of danger. A player corpse and a couple of pools of blood on the teleporter pad should be enough.

Agreed. I'll address this in an update later.

RjY said:

On a different topic. If the map is vanilla, neither translucent linedefs nor shooting rockets to break down walls will work in intended engine. Only hitscans (bullets), not projectiles, trigger shootable lines. Regardless I don't think you can expect people to go round shooting random walls just to see if they collapse. Doom thankfully does not make much use of that kind of puzzle, and when it does it is much more obvious about it. Maybe for hiding a secret area it is acceptable but not to actually finish the map.

Hmm... Strange. I swore that shooting the hole with a rocket worked in testing. Maybe I'll use a more obvious method to mark the place you're supposed to shoot, like a Duke3D crack in the wall.

RjY said:

One last thing: I think the switch, that opens the bars in front of the skull switch by the two arachnotrons, should be made more obvious. Honestly I don't think I would have finished without reading the spoilers in the thread, and abusing a map editor...

I'll change this in an update if it is actually that much of a problem.

Thank you for your input, RjY.