Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Clusterone666

6 years later

Recommended Posts

So, after finally being able to map again since i've had a mac for the last 6 years (worst decision ever) I am thinking of making some levels and hopefully one day being able to make some "Great" levels.
I never really released too many maps due to me being overcritical back in the day but I did release one H2H-Xmas map under Clusterone (Which I forgot the password to that account. >.>)
What i'm wondering is what's changed mapping wise in the last 6 years?
When mapping with DoomBuilder 2 (used to use the first one) what all is new and what do I have to watch out for with it compared to the first?
Also, anyone got any tips? I really love building hell, tech inspired maps, don't like caves, and love action filled maps.
Also, thinking of putting together a megawad project with people that are starting out making maps and throwing it into a megawad kind of as practice and so that people could give constructive criticism? How would I go about doing that?
Thanks
Orion

Share this post


Link to post
Clusterone666 said:

So, after finally being able to map again since i've had a mac for the last 6 years (worst decision ever)


-.-, bootcamp... parallels... virtualbox, etc, have been viable options for a while now...


Also, anyone got any tips?


learn keybinds, they're magical. depending on how rusty you are maybe tutorial videos would be helpful:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCE835098C82D8F24
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crLZwPifZ-E

Otherwise I'd just suggest learn by doing, mess around and make some maps. Or open up your favorite wads in doombuilder and poke around.


Also, thinking of putting together a megawad project with people that are starting out making maps and throwing it into a megawad kind of as practice and so that people could give constructive criticism? How would I go about doing that?


you seem to be describing something that already exists: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/57843-nova-the-birth-24-32-maps-done-submissions-may-close-june-31st/

though the deadline for that is approaching soon so who knows.

Anyways, just a word of forum advice: mapping indeed takes a good bit of time/effort, so biting off more than you can chew (aka "I'm gonna make a megawad :) :) :)!") or trying to rope people into a project that you personally haven't expended much time on yet is usually poorly received. Best advice is probably to start small, make a couple maps, either independently or for a community project, post em, and be receptive to feedback.

Share this post


Link to post
Ribbiks said:

-.-, bootcamp... parallels... virtualbox, etc, have been viable options for a while now...

For some reason I never could get any of that to work, i kept trying but in the end the mac crapped out on me so I figured it was time for a pc.

Ribbiks said:

learn keybinds, they're magical. depending on how rusty you are maybe tutorial videos would be helpful:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCE835098C82D8F24
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crLZwPifZ-E

Otherwise I'd just suggest learn by doing, mess around and make some maps. Or open up your favorite wads in doombuilder and poke around.

Keybinds i've got a couple down, some i've remembered from when I used to use Doombuilder, other's i'm learning now.
Thank you for the youtube video's by the way. :)

Ribbiks said:

you seem to be describing something that already exists: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/57843-nova-the-birth-24-32-maps-done-submissions-may-close-june-31st/

though the deadline for that is approaching soon so who knows.

Anyways, just a word of forum advice: mapping indeed takes a good bit of time/effort, so biting off more than you can chew (aka "I'm gonna make a megawad :) :) :)!") or trying to rope people into a project that you personally haven't expended much time on yet is usually poorly received. Best advice is probably to start small, make a couple maps, either independently or for a community project, post em, and be receptive to feedback.

Oh wow thank you i'll post to that if I finish the level i'm working on. And yeah I know i'll be biting off more than I can chew, but that's not for right now, it will be down the road once I get the hang of mapping again, I know how to do basic mapping, just need to learn the ZDoom features and all of that, but than again I love the vanilla features. The only thing i'm really having issues with (been spending a couple hours now trying to do.) Is I have a outside area, with the SKY box set up, but I can't build bunkers around the outside area, and if I do. they don't have a roof over them, i've seen some old-school vanilla wads do it. I know I can, I just don't know how without creating HOM effects, and I don't want that.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×