Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

Anyone else have this problem with connecting with modern games?

Mr. Freeze said:

If people hate modern games so much, why do they insist on having powerful computers built to run them?

Consumerism.

Most people I see day-to-day don't have powerful gaming rigs. They mostly have el-cheapo laptops, the kind you see "deals" for in Sunday paper, or on sale at Wal-mart, etc. And most of them aren't much into gaming, unless you count the casual stuff like those "Bejeweled" style puzzle games, browser-based games, or online poker. I also know a couple who are into very specific games, like say World of Warcraft, but that's their thing and basically all they ever play (some people who come here can probably say the same about DOOM).

Personally, I could get by with an old Pentium-II class machine with 512 MB RAM. But I prefer laptops and there's no great cost difference between that class of machine and the one I'm currently using (2 GHz Core 2 Duo and 1 GB RAM). The main issue with the really old hardware is that it may only have old USB v1 ports (much too slow for my external/backup HD), only has IDE interface instead of SATA (so replacing internal disk when it fails will be PITA), and the LCD may have already degraded to the point there are noticeable screen glitches, or it's just flat out going to die soon and will need to be replaced.

Actually my current machine costed me significantly less than a new el-cheapo netbook that was on sale at Wal-mart this winter for $200. And since it's a Thinkpad, it has a "real" keyboard, which to me is critical. The only thing I don't like is that it's kind of big/bulky with a 15" widescreen LCD. I just flat-out hate widescreen, and 14" is a more reasonable size for a laptop IMO. I'll probably end up trading it for another older, more portable Thinkpad model...

Captain Red said:

What I'm saying is, I miss rope arrows :(

I never really got into the Thief games myself. I own Thief 2 and I tested the Doom3 Thief mod that was made to be as true a sequel as possible. But I didn't play either much as I didn't find it very intriguing to be a Thief. Not even one as cool as Gareth. Also I had no idea about that regarding Dishonored being compared to Thief by the developers. But I myself did the comparision when I played it with my limited history with the series.

I suppose I just like stabbing people more than robbing them.

Right, my "modern"(ish) games list is:

Serious Sam TFE and TSE HD
Serious Sam 3 BFE
Sleeping Dogs
Aliens vs Predator
Fallout 3 Game of the Year Edition
TES Skyrim
TES Oblivion 5th Anniversary Edition
Doom 3 BFG Edition
Dead Island
Dead Island Riptide
Quake 4
Halo CE
Halo 2
Halo 3
Halo 3 ODST
Halo Wars
Halo 4
Fallout New Vegas
The Orange Box (Half Life 2, Episode 1, Episode 2, TF2 and Portal)
Portal 2
GTA 3 all the way up to IV and addons
Counterstrike GO
Red Dead
Fable 3
Every single last Worms game without mobile games or shitty spin offs like Worms Blast (fucking puzzle game shit)
Mortal Kombat 9...

The list is even longer but fuck typing that! Now if you want a "FUN" game then play Serious Sam, AvP (Alien mode is very fun), Dead Island or Fallout (Well at least in my opinion they are fun)

So basically, what you're saying is that you'll play anything that comes your way and you'll love it. :p

I don't really have any room to dispute whether any of those games you suggested were bad, I was just talking about how the pattern I've witnessed in the market left me in a cynical state where I'm predisposed to believe that everything is going to be bad if it's not as well-rounded and lightweight in resources as Doom. (and no amount of adult decisions will make me feel otherwise)

Oh I have a few I don't like, here they are and briefly why:

Rouge warrior... Seriously Bethesda must of had 10 hits of LSD to even think this was a good idea.

Saints Row 3... I like action, but not THIS kind of "action"! I love 1 and 2 but god damn it just wierd real fast!

The recent Red Faction with the bug things... way to kill a great franchise!

Minecraft... fun in small burst but boring as church in the long run.

Dragon Age 2... Why do I take damage from nothing?

Battlefield 3... I need MOAR DL-fuckin-C!

Fear 3... 1 and expansioned I loved as well as 2 but 3 has the replay value of heart surgery.

Ghost Recon Future Soldier... Why is my multiplayer hitbox the size of an 18 wheeler?

Fallout new vegas DEAD MONEY DLC... Ohhh you bastard I am not able to return? A one use DLC? fuck!

Kane and Lynch... This is why I do not go around saying fishstick is the worst game I own because this cunt exists in my collection, I heard number 2 is even WORSE.

To addon to my previous post, and I may be a lone soldier on this, but it's discomforting for me to be presented with the offer of paying for a game, or even letting a free game reside on my hard drive, when it could easily be replaced in a couple of months with something else that does it better or sways my interest. Nothing has been able to do that for me with Doom. I guess it's just how my narrowed mind works. It probably has a lot to do with being able to play games as a child without having to buy them with money that I earned. Many were older brother's games or games that were given to me as gifts. So now I start every mental video game review in my head with "this isn't as good as Doom because" and every shooters (and sometimes even other genres of games) I've seen or played has let me finish that sentence with enough rational thought to no longer remain interested in that game.

Again, I don't know if this can be taken seriously. That's like... well yaknow like my opinion man.

40oz said:

To addon to my previous post, and I may be a lone soldier on this, but it's discomforting for me to be presented with the offer of paying for a game, or even letting a free game reside on my hard drive, when it could easily be replaced in a couple of months with something else that does it better or sways my interest. Nothing has been able to do that for me with Doom. I guess it's just how my narrowed mind works. It probably has a lot to do with being able to play games as a child without having to buy them with money that I earned. Many were older brother's games or games that were given to me as gifts. So now I start every mental video game review in my head with "this isn't as good as Doom because" and every shooters (and sometimes even other genres of games) I've seen or played has let me finish that sentence with enough rational thought to no longer remain interested in that game.

Again, I don't know if this can be taken seriously. That's like... well yaknow like my opinion man.

I respect your opinion.
That is an interesting way to review a game, I guess (correct me if I am wrong) Doom was one of, maybe even the only game you fully enjoyed during the first time playing and no other game reaches that mark?

I may be a lone soldier on this, but it's discomforting for me to be presented with the offer of paying for a game, or even letting a free game reside on my hard drive, when it could easily be replaced in a couple of months with something else that does it better or sways my interest.

Nah, I hear you. Getting immersed in one universe for a long period of time feels like gaming on another level. It's closer to picking up a new hobby or sport than watching a movie or reading a book; and it's a very different experience, more involved IMHO, than just hopping from game to game (which almost feels extenuating at times, you're barely getting to know it and it's already over).

I moved on to the latter approach for the past years, and the versatility can be interesting, but there's definitely something lost compared to the above.

mrthejoshmon said:

Fallout new vegas DEAD MONEY DLC... Ohhh you bastard I am not able to return? A one use DLC? fuck!

There were probably a good bakers dozen mods released the day dead money was released that allow you unlimited access to the sierra madre and villa. This is true of all fo3/nv dlcs that were technically 'one shot' deals.

That, as far as I'm concerned is 100% necessary if you want to find all of the vending machine tokens.

Quast said:

There were probably a good bakers dozen mods released the day dead money was released that allow you unlimited access to the sierra madre and villa...

...as far as I'm concerned is 100% necessary if you want to find all of the vending machine tokens.

I wish Microsoft would allow mod support for Xbox, with that said Fallout 3's mothership zeta was a dick move, it is basicaly Bethesda saying "You know that amazing alien ship you just captured... Well unlucky for you about 80% of it is now locked forever, good luck collecting those recordings!"