Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ralphis

Wii U Super Smash Bros

Since there was a nice thread about the last one a few years ago, I might as well kick this one off. I don't have a Wii U but with the inclusion of Mega Man, I don't see how this doesn't end up in my home:

Anyone else super excited for this one? The internet multiplayer HAS to be better than Brawl right? Right?!

Haha, that Mega Man trailer. Almost makes you want a new game in that style, doesn't it? *sigh*

Never been that big on Smash Bros, but they're always fun. I'd probably pick this up if I had a Wii U.

Edit: Another vid, goes into more detail about the visuals and new characters:

Awesome, if Ralphis buys a Wii U then Nintendo will have sold 18 of them! Yay!

Use3D said:

Awesome, if Ralphis buys a Wii U then Nintendo will have sold 18 of them! Yay!

All they have to do is release Wii U pokemon and they will win the console wars

Melee was the best in the series for me but Brawl I found to be a disappointment, hopefully this one will do better.

Sweet - I remember Brawl's online mode not being the best unless you play with a friend who's close or has a good connection. Heck, I'm more interested in what's to come - Megaman looks cool in this so far!

I love how Nintendo does better justice to other franchise characters than both SEGA and Capcom do. Sonic was handled great in Brawl and Mega Man is right out of the NES, poses and all.

a little disappointed that things like the hitstun and gravity look more like brawl than melee. was really hoping for some new cool method of fluid ground/air control in place of wavedashes (backdashes a la SotN maybe?) but as it is, it looks like a more sparkly brawl. i really want to get excited for the game and the new characters/stages etc but if the mechanics stay brawl then bleh

at the very least i'm hoping that falcon's knee gets its melee strength back though!

Mr. Chris said:

Wii U Fit trainer......as a fighter??

I love that Nintendo just doesn't give a fuck and does whatever they want to.

No Wii U for me til they have a sudden change of heart and announce Metroid Prime 4, or some other worthy successor, with NO creative input from Yoshio Sakamoto.

Canofbacon said:

Now I'm happy I bought a 3DS. This game looks fun.

Etrian Odyssey 4
Fire Emblem Awakening
Animal Crossing
BlazBlue: Continuum Shift II
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate

I don't know what you're talking about.

Quasar said:

NO creative input from Yoshio Sakamoto.

But who else could possibly make Samus into a strong, independent, womyn?

Brawl was a snail fest. Everything was too slow compared to melee, so I hope this new Wii U Brawl ramps it up a bit... ... if I ever get the console.

Melee absolutely stomps Brawl in terms of competitive play, plus I'm a Mario user and he's nerfed HARD in Brawl. Hope he gets some of his pep back but overall I was just not that pleased with brawl. Seemed like Melee on crack with a bunch of random shit mixed in the pot, stuff that didn't add to the game. Plus, as menitoned, it's a snail fest. (And stupid choices like Wario as a starter, but you still have to unlock Luigi? TRIPPING WHILE RUNNING? They must have been on some heavy shit when they came up with that..)

Literally the only thing that made me even slightly want to play was the includion of Mega Man.. Took them 4 generations, but they finally realized the obvious!

Oh and Wii Fit trainer and Animal Corssing guy? Yeah, because carachters like Bomberman or one of the Belmonts or something just wouldn't be cool enough.

GoatLord said:

I still find it funny that Wii U graphics don't look quite as good as PS3 hardware.

The Wii U is about two steps above a GameCube.

Doomkid92 said:

Melee absolutely stomps Brawl in terms of competitive play

Well, there's your problem; Smash Bros was never designed as a "pro" competitive game the way something like Street Fighter was. SSB has generally been more intended as a "party" game - the kind of game where almost anybody can stand the same chance in the same arena, because even if you are not amazing at the game, you can still turn the tides in your favor if you can just beat the rest of the players to the good items, or get lucky and get a Final Smash, or perhaps pull one of Peach's "ultra turnips" and clock the match leader upside the head with it, sending them skyward.

In my opinion, if you are playing Smash Bros with the items off and only ever choose Final Destination, you're kind of missing the point of the game.

WildWeasel said:

In my opinion, if you are playing Smash Bros with the items off and only ever choose Final Destination, you're kind of missing the point of the game.

I couldn't agree more - I don't mean tournament rules. A match can still be highly competitive with items on and on a different stage the same way it can in Mario Kart or Doom. The whole Smash Bros. pro rules thing is kind of odd actually; it's like saying "the only real competitive Doom DM's are done in Entryway with SSG's only!"

If BFG is fair game, so are Hammers!

WildWeasel said:

even if you are not amazing at the game, you can still turn the tides in your favor

Of course, but this was increased tenfold in Brawl. Not necessarily a bad thing, but the whole experience felt deliberatly unbalanced, which wasn't the case in smash games previous - each character still had a viable playing style, and wasn't completely off the wall. (except perhaps Pichu in Melee)

I understand they're trying to keep thing interesting and fresh in the new iterations, and I'm glad the series is going strong, but it's sort of fallen off from the reason I loved the first two.. Insanity, but also a bit of balance.

I just have to say it again though: mother fucking WII FIT TRAINER and motherfucking ANIMAL CROSSING DUDE. I mean, come onnnnn..

I dunno, Pichu is noticeably stronger than his "evolved" counterpart, which I imagine is to make up for his tendency to build damage the more he uses his electric moves. Pretty much the most amazing way to irritate an entire multiplayer group. =P

WildWeasel said:

I dunno, Pichu is noticeably stronger than his "evolved" counterpart, which I imagine is to make up for his tendency to build damage the more he uses his electric moves. Pretty much the most amazing way to irritate an entire multiplayer group. =P

Actually, that's a great point. Charachter picks/changes were much more frustrating in Brawl. There were small nitpicks, like the fact that Roy is a lot cooler than Ike, or that Wario got his "weird ass biker" outfit but Mario wasn't graced with the same treatment for his doctor uniform. It seemed so random, as if the decisions were made by tossing a coin. Seriously, goddam Rainbow Cruise instead of Peach's Castle.. But this is all meaningless stuff that I could do without.

When I think about it, it seems like Pit above all else is what killed Brawl in my eyes. This is the first case where balance was quite clearly thrown out the window in favor of providing an "obvious noob" character. It's not like he's "a little op", he can do literally everything. Fly forever, reflect forever - stuff that was at one point the split-second maker or breaker of the match is now totally disposable.

I feel the other new picks may get the same treatment, thus pushing the "old champs" like Mario back even further still. It's kind of a shame when the guy you're really good with draws the shit stick in the sequel :P I'm happy to get as good as someone else as I got with Mario in the last 10 years, though..

...Actually, no I'm not. I'm really interested to play it, but unless it really impresses me I can't picture actually buying it. In the last 3/4 years, Melee has been played by me and my friends about 4x as much as Brawl because the fights are fair and interesting, even with spastic settings, the better players tend to win more and it makes the worse players want to get better.

WildWeasel said:

Down+B Down+B Down+B Down+B Down+B Down+B Down+B Down+B Down+B Down+B Down+B Down+B Down+B Down+B Down+B Down+B Down+B Down+B Down+B Down+B Down+B

GAME!

BloodyAcid said:

Down+B Down+B Down+B Down+B Down+B Down+B Down+B Down+B Down+B Down+B Down+B Down+B Down+B Down+B Down+B Down+B Down+B Down+B Down+B Down+B Down+B

GAME!

PIKAAAAAA

It's all about the Meta-Knight spam now.